'Mansplaining'

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is not trolling.  I am saying that everyone has been talked down to before. everyone.  To pretend like it is just a gender thing is crazy.  It is just a human thing.

And I have experienced it because of my gender, you telling me I haven't, well...you see the irony, right?

I agree that you've been talked down to. I disagree that you've been talked down to by a man because you're a woman, which is what mansplaining is. Unless I'm mistaken about your gender.

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But, I have experienced it because I am a man.  

Just like you literally just did to me.  But I will not do it to you.  

You are a White Male.... Your feelings don't matter....

8 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Men are the real victims.

Being a little dramatic don't you think?

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The title of this topic aside, why does it matter 'why' you're being talked down too?

People should be talked down to when they're being a$$hole$. There are valid reasons for it to happen.

People should not be talked down to due to their gender.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People should be talked down to when they're being a$$hole$. There are valid reasons for it to happen.

People should not be talked down to due to their gender.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of "talking down to someone", I don't agree. I always thought "talking down" was done without just reason. So my understanding has always been that it's always "wrong" to do.

If I'm wrong on that, then I suppose I agree with you.

Being a little dramatic don't you think?

Not really. I'm summarizing the false equivalence arguments as they're presented.

It's a pretty poor look, yes. The right response, IMO, from those who really believe in this sort of thing? Stop subscribing to the BS instead of blaming the people who point it out to them. For (almost) all of us who have at one point in our lives or another regurgitated these arguments (me included, obviously), I don't believe this is a core value to us. When it comes down to it, I don't believe it's who we are and something we'll choose to double down on. Hopefully when we recognize what those arguments are doing -- and the aims of the people who will make it their hill to die on -- we dissociate.