'Mansplaining'

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree!  The idea that we need a term for this is silly!

The idea that people patronize each other holds merit!

You were saying everyone was doing what the word mansplaining was describing, and that wasn't the case. People weren't being patronizing nor were they being patronizing due to gender.

That you don't think there should be a word for it is a separate discussion. The one we were actually having.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is...and now you are doing it.  we all do it!  like you said, its not really a gender thing.  

We've come full circle again.

People are patronizing to others due to their gender. That's what the topic is about.

Like I already said, you're talking about one thing. Everyone else is talking about something else.

Acting patronizing because someone's being a willful moron  is not nearly as bad as doing so because they're male/female. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

You can be offended without me being offensive. That's a you problem, not a me problem.

All women have experienced fear walking alone at night, or being catcalled or sexually harassed or having to deal with unwanted advances from men. But not all men are predators or harassers. 

Is that a women problem, or a men problem? 

Also of note, I don't have any need to make men out to be bad guys. We're (Moiraine and I) just trying to talk about a specific context and a lot of people in this thread are giving the classic, "what about the other side?" response. I'm very comfortably and gladly male, I quite enjoy masculinity, and I don't feel burdened by any guilt or shame about any of that.

• Plus1 1

"but to tell me that my gender is guilty of this is simply wrong.  SOME of my gender is, but it's not common enough..."

The point being that nobody has said in this thread or, at least as far as I can tell, ever in real life, anything to the effect of, "all men mansplain. that's just what men do."

Nobody has accused your gender of being guilty of this. It's a term reserved for when SOME of your gender actually do it. If your issue is that your gender is singled out because "womansplaining" isn't considered appropriate or whatever, then the response to that is that it's not equal both ways. Then your response is "according to who?", which of course the natural response back, in classic male-on-male-splaining fashion, would be, "well according to who is only SOME of your gender guilty of this?"

Also of note, benign intent doesn't equate to benign functionality. It could be on you, or it could be on the other person, or it could be a degree of both of those things. 

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Nobody has accused your gender of being guilty of this.

The term itself presents a guilty-until-proven-innocent idea. Mansplaining. Who does this?  According the the word, men.  We are either guilty of this or potentially guilty of this, by the very spelling of the word.

In the past feminists have expressed a desire to change the word woman to womyn to eliminate the inherent from-maleness of it,.

something something "women's benign explanations for what happens to them offends you. that's on you."

But yes. Men are the people who mansplain. Nowhere has it ever been intimated that all men do this, but that when it is done, that's what it is, and that all women have experienced it. Do you have a similar dismissal of and problem with terms such as 'white privilege'? 

51 minutes ago, Landlord said:

something something "women's benign explanations for what happens to them offends you. that's on you."

But yes. Men are the people who mansplain. Nowhere has it ever been intimated that all men do this, but that when it is done, that's what it is, and that all women have experienced it. Do you have a similar dismissal of and problem with terms such as 'white privilege'? 

Image result for I do gif

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The term itself presents a guilty-until-proven-innocent idea. Mansplaining. Who does this?  According the the word, men.  We are either guilty of this or potentially guilty of this, by the very spelling of the word.

No it doesn't.

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And women...womensplain, right?

Some women, sometimes.