'Mansplaining'

1 hour ago, tfree32 said:

The main problem with it isn't that it's often misused. It's that it's a largely fake phenomenon that feminist wackos have latched onto in order to whine and claim victim status. Women are frequently condescending to men too. The difference is that we simply go on with our lives and don't feel a need to film after school specials and public service announcements to vent our outrage.

You're living in a fantasy world. Men are at least as likely to complain about it. That's one of the purposes of the word "bitch."

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why do you think he's better than that?

It's an expression of hope.

Also, I genuinely don't think people, in a lot of cases, are trying to be sexist. They might actually believe they aren't. So give them that, but hold them to it. Up to them, ultimately, to decide which is more important: their professed belief in gender equality or their desire to be able to say stupid sexist things without losing the respect of anyone of worth.

17 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Yawn. Have men invented a word to describe how sad they feel when women explain things to them? Of course not.

It's kinda hard to do anything but laugh at this comment, considering the number of disparaging words that exist to describe women and people supposedly acting like women, and the frequency at which they're used. I'm certain they far outnumber the opposite. Men have invented many words to complain about the as-fair sex.

It's fine to complain about a new word if you think it's stupid or sexist, but "men haven't done it" is a terrible argument.

• Plus1 3

Men have invented and dominated a world in which women exist to be of use to them.

Point this out and a subset, desperate to cling onto that world, will suddenly awaken to the notion of being marginalized by society. Except they're the victims. It'd be funny if it weren't all so unfortunate.

17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

P&R is a forum that allows a lot more freedom of expression than others on HuskerBoard.

It does not, however, allow rampant misogyny or bigotry, including but not limited to, sexism. 

How about misandry, which seems to be the opposite of a misogynist and someone who hates men? An awful lot of the complaints about mansplaining, manspreading, and other alleged crimes committed by men are fueled by it. And simply pointing that out is neither sexist nor an exercise in misogyny.

I don't dispute that there is sexism in the world and in the workplace. But there are also a heck of a lot of hypersensitive people who look for reasons to take offense and claim they are victims. That's where nonsense like 'mansplaining' comes from.

I would encourage you to report the posts you believe are misandry, thus highlighting this conversation.  I'm sure the Mods you alert to sexist behavior will take a long look at all of the posts in this thread.

EDIT - I still believe that you're going a bit over the top to make a point, and you're not truly being misogynistic.  But it's still not a lot of fun to read.

• Plus1 2

So to recap for those just joining us:

1. Don't ever, ever, ever (ever), make a joke at the expense of anyone but the white male.

2. Don't attempt to explain anything to a woman. It's too risky, Mansplaining is a damning accusation. You ( all men) should patronize amongst each other. (For the timid man, he may just want to avoid talking to women altogether).

3. If you're a male, you're clinging to a world that you're probably not even aware you're living in. You should take this truth (?) in unquestioning stride, and apologize immediately.

:D:lol:

53 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

1. Don't ever, ever, ever (ever), make a joke at the expense of anyone but the white male.

2. Don't attempt to explain anything to a woman. It's too risky, Mansplaining is a damning accusation. You ( all men) should patronize amongst each other. (For the timid man, he may just want to avoid talking to women altogether).

3. If you're a male, you're clinging to a world that you're probably not even aware you're living in. You should take this truth (?) it stride, and apologize immediately.

No. None of 1-2 was even implied. The discussion wasn't about anyone dictating to men when it's ok to do any of those things. I can kinda sorta see why you'd think 3 was said/implied.

Here's an actual summary (of just the Mainsplaining part) that isn't an overexaggeration to marginalize the 1 chick in the topic discussing it.

1. Men shouldn't assume a woman is ignorant about a topic because she's a woman, and vice versa. The reason the term "Mansplaining" was coined was due to the former not being a rare occurence.

2. "Mansplaining" has the potential (and is) often used incorrectly but it's an actual thing and it happens at a higher rate than the opposite.

3. "Mansplaining" is arguably a sexist word because it implies something about all men (I don't agree with this one). To clarify, if it did that, I would agree it's sexist. Regardless, I don't use the word.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

3. If you're a male, you're clinging to a world that you're probably not even aware you're living in. You should take this truth (?) in unquestioning stride, and apologize immediately.

That about sums it up. It's a crazy world we live in. Orwell would find it amusing.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

No. None of 1-2 was even implied. The discussion wasn't about anyone dictating to men when it's ok to do any of those things. I can kinda sorta see why you'd think 3 was said/implied.

Here's an actual summary (of just the Mainsplaining part) that isn't an overexaggeration to marginalize the 1 chick in the topic discussing it.

1. Men shouldn't assume a woman is ignorant about a topic because she's a woman, and vice versa. The reason the term "Mansplaining" was coined was due to the former not being a rare occurence.

2. "Mansplaining" has the potential (and is) often used incorrectly but it's an actual thing and it happens at a higher rate than the opposite.

3. "Mansplaining" is arguably a sexist word because it implies something about all men (I don't agree with this one). To clarify, if it did that, I would agree it's sexist. Regardless, I don't use the word.

Meh, I thought it was clear that that particular post was made with a heavy flare of satire. My 1st, and 2nd points were obviously exaggerated, but I do think they are very subtly applied in society today, if only ever so little (more so the 1st one).

10 hours ago, tfree32 said:

Yawn. Have men invented a word to describe how sad they feel when women explain things to them? Of course not.

Now feel free to return to writing angsty poetry and fan fiction.

Pretending not to care: a thorough defense. Followed by what I assume you think are insults -  oh man, you sure got me!