'Mansplaining'

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

^Yeah, if that's all the tweets there were from her, it was pretty little. I think there's something you can say about it, anyway, and to her credit she seems to get that. Kudos. It's clear that the dredging up of these tweets was a cynical, disingenuous smear campaign. 

But she could have actually been a racist, for example, with a far more deplorable twitter history -- doesn't really change how we should view what Cam said.

Agreed!  They are both (more than likely) nasty.

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

^Yeah, if that's all the tweets there were from her, it was pretty little. I think there's something you can say about it, anyway, and to her credit she seems to get that. Kudos. It's clear that the dredging up of these tweets was a cynical, disingenuous smear campaign. 

But she could have actually been a racist, for example, with a far more deplorable twitter history -- doesn't really change how we should view what Cam said.

I took no issue with her tweets, but let me ask. If that was a white male reporter, you don't think people would of ran with them?

No, BB, I think white men tend to get a pass in our society, as a general rule. When they make mistakes, they get preferential coverage, more deference, and more pathways to rehabilitation than those who are more easily seen as dangerous, gangster, or Muslim. All of this should actually be extremely, extremely clear.

Off the top of my head, for example, what did the 'sentencing' judge say to Brock Turner? 

Just now, zoogs said:

No, BB, I think white men tend to get a pass in our society, as a general rule. When they make mistakes, they get preferential coverage, more deference, and more pathways to rehabilitation than those who are more easily seen as dangerous, gangster, or Muslim. All of this should actually be extremely, extremely clear.

That is offensive...what the hell does that mean?

If it was a white male reporter, Cam wouldn't have laughed and thought the question was surprising/weird coming from him.

If it was a white male reporter in a different situation where he said something incredibly stupid or elicited some news-worthy response, I think it's possible that someone vindictively would try to smear him, but I think the percentage chance of it happening is lower, personally.

When I was at B1G Media Days Teddy Greenstein asked Pat Fitzgerald if he preferred his team winning or losing their bowl game. It was mostly just bad phrasing and a gaff, but he kept doubling down on twitter acting like a jackass to those of us that were making fun of it. I can't recall anybody diving into his archive to try and make an example out of him for that. Anecdotal as hell, I know, but to get to the point of what you're asking B.B., I don't think it's the same.

7 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Hmm. You need to read some facebook comments on any story remotely related to race. 

Race gets nasty on there both ways, of course. Wasn't suggesting otherwise. But in my opinion there is a clear "war on the white man", especially within the media.

And I take issue with it because as my father-in-law says. "Everything is the white man's fault, but none of it is my fault" (He's white)

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If it was a white male reporter, Cam wouldn't have laughed and thought the question was surprising/weird coming from him.

If it was a white male reporter in a different situation where he said something incredibly stupid or elicited some news-worthy response, I think it's possible that someone vindictively would try to smear him, but I think the percentage chance of it happening is lower, personally.

When I was at B1G Media Days Teddy Greenstein asked Pat Fitzgerald if he preferred his team winning or losing their bowl game. It was mostly just bad phrasing and a gaff, but he kept doubling down on twitter acting like a jackass to those of us that were making fun of it. I can't recall anybody diving into his archive to try and make an example out of him for that. Anecdotal as hell, I know, but to get to the point of what you're asking B.B., I don't think it's the same.

You must not pay attention to every Illini fan in the area...

Pointing out white privilege when it happens and protesting that is not only fair game, it should happen even more than it does -- if that's what you are referring to.

I guess Facebook is where you picked up so deeply on this racial grievance narrative, but I really hope you snap out of it. I think you can, BB! 

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Hmm. You need to read some facebook comments on any story remotely related to race. 

Now you're the one talking about social media reactions vs when zoogs is referencing actual news/laws/infrastructure/etc. :P STAY CONSISTENT DAMNIT!

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No...ANY privilege should be pointed out when it happens...ANY

#AllLivesMatter

I'm sure you agree. With an exclamation point.

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Protesting white privilege by pointing out when it happens is not only fair game, it should happen even more than it does -- if that's what you are referring to.

Stuff like this isn't protesting white privilege.

And I post this, because it is the last thing that I remember "offending me" a little bit. Also, it's hypocritical as ****

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Now you're the one talking about social media reactions vs when zoogs is referencing actual news/laws/infrastructure/etc. :P STAY CONSISTENT DAMNIT!

#AllLivesMatter

I'm sure you agree. With an exclamation point.

I do...I wish you did.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Image result for homer simpson bush gif

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Oh, man.

I don't know what to tell you. But there is no War on the White Man, any more than there is a War on Christmas. At this point I'm a little scared to ask your thoughts on that :D 

Really? You'd be surprised. I promise.:lol:

You don't see the hypocrisy in that video? Or why someone might be offended?

Just now, zoogs said:

Oh, man.

I don't know what to tell you. But there is no War on the White Man, any more than there is a War on Christmas. At this point I'm a little scared to ask your thoughts on that :D 

Let me hit you with some info...

When I was in high school the other school in our area of Chicago had to take down their Xmas Tree...we did not...3rd hour we got stuck in class...turns out that the kids from that school walked out...they protested that the tree came down and walked over to our school because we had ours up still.  I got stuck in German class for an extra f'ing hour.  You don't think there is a war on Xmas?  Think again.