'Mansplaining'

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Stuff like this isn't protesting white privilege.

And I post this, because it is the last thing that I remember "offending me" a little bit. Also, it's hypocritical as ****

That's your example for the white victimhood narrative? Really?

I find it spot on. And hey, I guess you have heard of the Brock Turner deal -- it's referenced here!

Just now, zoogs said:

That's your example for the white victimhood narrative? Really?

Sigh. It came to mind because of the reason I stated.

I don't think white men are victims. Not the slightest. I do take issue with us (as a whole) getting blamed for, well, everything. 

And if you can't see the hypocrisy of that video, or why someone might be a little offended. Well, I don't know what to tell you.

You're clearly sensitive (not an insult) to everybody else's plight. Why not the white man? Most of us have done nothing wrong. Just because our demographic has traditionally been the beneficiaries means we have to take all the punches in stride? Nah, not me zoogs.

• Plus1 1

When I was younger I always thought I would apply for it and con them into thinking I was incredibly dramatic and emotional and fiery (their ideal participants), and then get selected and once I get to the house just be chill and be a drama free peacemaker the entire time and the execs would hate me and try to get me kicked off.

I'm very attracted to, and good at handling, chaos. Just this last weekend I was in an insane environment where a good friend of mine and my mom were screaming obscenities at each other outside a house at 7am in Lincoln, about to come to blows with each other, and I had to manage it. This doesn't have anything to do with anything other than I agree with you teach ;) 

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Most of us have done nothing wrong. Just because our demographic has traditionally been the beneficiaries means we have to take all the punches in stride? 

...remember a few pages ago when you implied that you thought black people were lazy and/or entitled?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

When I was younger I always thought I would apply for it and con them into thinking I was incredibly dramatic and emotional and fiery (their ideal participants), and then get selected and once I get to the house just be chill and be a drama free peacemaker the entire time and the execs would hate me and try to get me kicked off.

I'm very attracted to, and good at handling, chaos. Just this last weekend I was in an insane environment where a good friend of mine and my mom were screaming obscenities at each other outside a house at 7am in Lincoln, about to come to blows with each other, and I had to manage it. This doesn't have anything to do with anything other than I agree with you teach ;) 

Ha!  love it!  After the first season they took the TV's out of the house!  Because it turns out in the end...everyone just wants to watch TV

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Genuine question B.B. - what issue do you have with that video? I'm honestly failing to see the problem with it, or the hypocrisy? 

It's condescending, and is full of blanket statements (all things liberals hate).

It's hypocritical because if it was about black men, and the condescending narratives were flipped there would protests in the streets (exaggerating a little....maybe).

Like I said. It came to mind because it was the last thing I remember watching and thinking "Hey, **** you".

I don't think white men are victims. Not the slightest. 

I think there needs to be a re-evaluation of either your definition of "slightest", or your conception of "the war against white men" and "the white man's pliht."

I don't know what to tell you, either. It's quite accurate with every suggestion it makes. In an ideal world all of it is preaching to the choir. But it's (very plainly) not this world.

I guess it's only really a problem if you disagree that those criticisms are valid. But then your being targeted by this video has everything to do with your own deliberated positions, and nothing to do with your skin color. And when it comes to that, there should be no pity. You're accountable for your own views -- we all are.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

...remember a few pages ago when you implied that you thought black people were lazy and/or entitled?

I would never imply (intentionally) that all black people are lazy/entitled. If I remember correctly I said that they have a culture of dependency, and victim-mentality. You can have a culture without it applying to every individual. I have a black man that works for my landscaping company. None of that would apply to him as an individual.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would never imply (intentionally) that all black people are lazy/entitled. If I remember correctly I said that they have a culture of dependency, and victim-mentality. You can have a culture without it applying to every individual. I have a black man that works for my landscaping company. None of that would apply to him as an individual.

White people have a culture of feeling this way about black people and black culture, and then turning around and claiming they're the victims. 

If that's not you, great, of course. This aspect of white culture plainly does not apply to all individuals. That's not only well understood, it's well understood that it's well understood.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And that video isn't implying that all white men are...whatever you think that video is implying that all white men are.

You understand the concept of a generalization when you're the one generalizing other people (ie., you're not talking about specific black people, like the guy that works for you). Understand how generalization works when you're in the demographic being generalized. If you're not a racist, or you don't mansplain, or you blah blah blah, x, y, z, then the video isn't talking about you!

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I think there needs to be a re-evaluation of either your definition of "slightest", or your conception of "the war against white men" and "the white man's pliht."

I don't know what to tell you, either. It's quite accurate with every suggestion it makes. In an ideal world all of it is preaching to the choir. But it's (very plainly) not this world.

I guess it's only really a problem if you disagree that those criticisms are valid. But then your being targeted by this video has everything to do with your own deliberated positions, and nothing to do with your skin color. And when it comes to that, there should be no pity. You're accountable for your own views -- we all are.

I'm sure they're valid to some. 

It shouldn't, but it honestly shocks me that you wouldn't expect someone to be offended by that.

There are valid criticisms of the black community (for example), but people still take issue with another taking them to task for it.

For someone who claims you don't, in the slightest, subscribe to "white victimhood mentality", you're trying awfully hard to make this video a hit piece on white people and not an attack on blindness to privilege, as manifest by the specific bullet points they present.