If Riley is truly a nice guy...

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

This thread and a lot of it's content is outrageously and unfathomably stupid.

Yeah. Bait click thread leading to posters bickering with each other. HB definitely is more lenient than that other board... Some posters need to be put on vacation right now to cool off.

5 hours ago, California Husker said:

Wow bob...why does my opinion seem to be causing you so many problems. Maybe you should go drink a beer and not take huskerboard so seriously. Geez. 

Says the dude who had a cow because someone quoted him "out of context."

You're the only poster in this thread who sounds like they need to have a drink or a pill or something to take the edge off.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Landlord said:

This thread and a lot of it's content is outrageously and unfathomably stupid.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Says the dude who had a cow because someone quoted him "out of context."

You're the only poster in this thread who sounds like they need to have a drink or a pill or something to take the edge off.

Well, since the MODs aren't going to do this....:rulez now :backtotopic

19 hours ago, California Husker said:

Agreed, When Riley came to NU and brought that bunch of loser coaches with him I came on this board and said that I think he's an a**hole. Yeah, he's a golly-gee- wilikers , ah shucks, folksy kinda guy to the media, boosters, and corporate types, but he came to Nebraska and stuck us with coaches that he knew were pathetic. Banker, Cavenaugh, and Langsdork is nothing more than a position coach....He insisted on trying to make players who were recruited to play the spread, play his pro-style system. Even now, how many consecutive quarters does a player have to prove that maybe he's not the right guy for the job before this "nice guy" decides to move in a different direction. But so far he's refused to make changes when needed; he's a stubborn a**. There can be a difference between someone's persona and reality. 

19 hours ago, California Husker said:

No, it's not new. And if you're going to quote, don't do it out of context, that's just lazy. I stand by my ENTIRE statement. 

I'm confused. Did you or did you not come on this board and say you think he's an a**hole?

It wouldn't appear that you don't understand what "out of context" means.

• Plus1 3

39 minutes ago, California Husker said:

:rulez:backtotopic

Convenient. Say something and then avoid responsibility and accountability for saying it, all under the guise of some rules that you also don't understand.  I'll try to aid your understanding. The topic is "if Riley is a nice guy" and you said you called him a**hole and when somebody quoted you on that and you said it was taken out of context. Pretty sure everything has been on topic and in context and that no rules have beeen violated. And if you think I'm addressing the poster instead of the post, well, you would be wrong again. Might want to get some sleep, clear your head and try again later.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Convenient. Say something and then avoid responsibility and accountability for saying it, all under the guise of some rules that you also don't understand.  I'll try to aid your understanding. The topic is "if Riley is a nice guy" and you said you called him a**hole and when somebody quoted you on that and you said it was taken out of context. Pretty sure everything has been on topic and in context and that no rules have beeen violated. And if you think I'm addressing the poster instead of the post, well, you would be wrong again. Might want to get some sleep, clear your head and try again later.

I'm not avoiding anything. I meant what I said and anyone who wants to talk about why I said it, I would be happy to have that discussion. I said that I think Riley is an a**hole in the context of talking about the way he set this program up for failure by bringing (as someone else above put it) "his merry band of idiots form Corvallis". It is out of context to just focus on the way I chose to characterize him and completely ignore the sentiment behind it. Look, I get it, some people are naive and fall for the "nice guy" act. But the truth is, Riley knowingly saddled Nebraska with an absolutely horrible coaching staff (himself included). If he didn't know how bad they all were, then he's an idiot, because everyone else in the world other than Sean Eichorst and the Riley apologists know how bad they are. 

So, yes you were addressing the poster by zeroing in on a term that was used rather than the topic and you (and the usual suspect group of "legends") are attempting to derail the thread by making it about one term that was used rather than the idea...."is Riley really a nice guy?" So it is you who are wrong and perhaps you need a little afternoon nap to clear your head. 

And by the way :rulez  and stay :backtotopic

4 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I guess we have different ideas of what makes someone an a**hole. But you're entitled to your opinion and however you choose to apply that moniker. A little more clarity in the original post might've prevented all this.

Sure, we can have different opinions...as far as I know that's what forums like this one are all about. Perhaps you missed my first post above, but I pretty much said explained why I think he's an a**hole, in pretty much the same terms that I did just a few minutes ago when I was responding to you. And yes we can all have our own opinion about how we "choose to apply that moniker". 

And to be clear, it's not that he accepted the head coaching job at NU that makes me think what I think of him. It's that he stuck Nebraska with that really bad group of coaches that he brought with him. He had a chance to get a few really good position coaches and coordinators when he headed east (the possible choices were discussed here ad nauseam, but suffice to say, many of those available at the time would have been better than Banker, Landsdorf, et. al.). 

So either you agree or disagree that he knew how inept the staff was....and you can agree or disagree if he should still be considered a "nice guy". As I said, I'm willing to discuss any of those ideas and I won't attack you for your views. I would really love to hear (other than his, shucks, by golly, gee willikers persona) why everyone thinks he's so nice (and I don't say that with condescension or sarcasm...I really would like to know). It's my position that what he's done, and continues to do to Nebraska football, isn't nice. So, tell me what you think. 

30 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I'm not avoiding anything. I meant what I said and anyone who wants to talk about why I said it, I would be happy to have that discussion. I said that I think Riley is an a**hole in the context of talking about the way he set this program up for failure by bringing (as someone else above put it) "his merry band of idiots form Corvallis". It is out of context to just focus on the way I chose to characterize him and completely ignore the sentiment behind it. Look, I get it, some people are naive and fall for the "nice guy" act. But the truth is, Riley knowingly saddled Nebraska with an absolutely horrible coaching staff (himself included). If he didn't know how bad they all were, then he's an idiot, because everyone else in the world other than Sean Eichorst and the Riley apologists know how bad they are. 

So, yes you were addressing the poster by zeroing in on a term that was used rather than the topic and you (and the usual suspect group of "legends") are attempting to derail the thread by making it about one term that was used rather than the idea...."is Riley really a nice guy?" So it is you who are wrong and perhaps you need a little afternoon nap to clear your head. 

And by the way :rulez  and stay :backtotopic

If that's what you mean by the coaches he brought to Lincoln, i guess that's how you express your views. 

He really is a nice guy, just not much of an X's and O's guy. I do think he wanted the chance to see what he could do with what Neb had to offer. 

I now think he may have gotten in over his head. Hard to imagine after being in the pros he can't do better in the college game. Of course neither could BC. 

If anyone ever knew they were on the hot seat, it's Riley. I hope he can save whats left of the season, but as long as he sticks with what he has been putting on the field thus far, we will be lucky to win three more games. jmo

GBR!!!

1 minute ago, huskered17 said:

If that's what you mean by the coaches he brought to Lincoln, i guess that's how you express your views. 

He really is a nice guy, just not much of an X's and O's guy. I do think he wanted the chance to see what he could do with what Neb had to offer. 

I now think he may have gotten in over his head. Hard to imagine after being in the pros he can't do better in the college game. Of course neither could BC. 

If anyone ever knew they were on the hot seat, it's Riley. I hope he can save whats left of the season, but as long as he sticks with what he has been putting on the field thus far, we will be lucky to win three more games. jmo

GBR!!!

I sort of bought into the pre-season hype. You know, Riley finally has his kind of QB, he can finally run his system, blah, blah, blah. I was even a little insulted (not personally, but for the program) that some of the media were predicting a 6 to 7 win season for Nebraska. Now I am totally with you. Looking at the upcoming schedule, it's hard to find more than a couple sure things...and lest I forget, I thought, even after the first two games, that NIU was a sure thing. 

I'm still not exactly sure what I think of Diaco. I know he's been getting ripped in the media and here on Huskerboard as well. His defense did a pretty good job yesterday. Maybe as more games go by, the players will get more comfortable with the system and they will continue to show growth on that side of the ball. I can hope, right? 

I think Riley had stagnated at OSU and thought he could have better results with more resources. I don't think he realized that his staff was not up to the task. We can sit back at a distance and say he's a career .500 coach and that's all he'll ever be but I'm sure that thought or realization has never crossed Mike's mind. He's a competitor and I can guarantee he has tried his best to succeed his whole career. The fact that he hasn't succeeded does not change his intentions. The fact he has cut loose Reed and Banker is proof he is still trying but just not up to the task. I don't think that makes him an a**hole, it just means he probably isn't a very good coach and he isn't the one that will return Nebraska to prominence. Just because Pelini failed here and was an a**hole doesn't mean that all who fail here are a**holes. I think MR is a genuinely nice guy but just isn't up to the task at Nebraska. A**hole would be the last thing I would ever call him. But yeah, I'm ready for him to be replaced as our HC.

2 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I think Riley had stagnated at OSU and thought he could have better results with more resources. I don't think he realized that his staff was not up to the task. We can sit back at a distance and say he's a career .500 coach and that's all he'll ever be but I'm sure that thought or realization has never crossed Mike's mind. He's a competitor and I can guarantee he has tried his best to succeed his whole career. The fact that he hasn't succeeded does not change his intentions. The fact he has cut loose Reed and Banker is proof he is still trying but just not up to the task. I don't think that makes him an a**hole, it just means he probably isn't a very good coach and he isn't the one that will return Nebraska to prominence. Just because Pelini failed here and was an a**hole doesn't mean that all who fail here are a**holes. I think MR is a genuinely nice guy but just isn't up to the task at Nebraska. A**hole would be the last thing I would ever call him. But yeah, I'm ready for him to be replaced as our HC.

Well, as you said above, we have a bit of a different take on things, and that's okay. And of course I guess some might just chalk it up to coaching philosophy, but for me it wasn't just his staff. I will go a little farther and suggest that he wasn't being enitirely forthcoming when he said he wouldn't try force the guys that were at NU, fit his system...and then he pretty much tried to do exactly that. I don't remember the stats, but Armstrong's pass attempts per game were up something like 25-30%. And now, he seems to want to stick with "his guys" when it comes to players the same way he wanted to stick with his guys on the staff. It's that kind of arrogant, "I'm the coach and I know what will work best" attitude, that is never conducive to winning at times when the wheels seem to be coming off the wagon. Hey, he may seem like a nice guy when you meet him (I never have), and I will admit, he seems like a very nice guy when he does interviews and press conferences, I'm just looking at what he's done to Nebraska, not how he acts. But I understand your point of view.

• Mavric locked this topic