Diaco Rotates Defensive Players with 'Participation Patterns'

Mavric

11 hours ago, unlfan said:

I really think Diaco could get this defense in a good spot in a year or two. I don't think his boss wil survive that long, though.

Agreed, and I do think it's realistic to think Diaco will outlive his current boss at DoNU.

Plus, isn't it amazing how we're rotating players and getting second/third string players time on defense and the DL...but we shy away from that on the offensive side of the ball?  

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

While we lost a very ugly, disappointing game, I feel the Defensive performance got a bit overlooked.  I know they gave up a touchdown at the very worst time, but giving up one touchdown and taking heat is like when people dog on the guy who missed the last shot in basketball that would have won the game.

This is sort of where I land, as well. Now, when Nebraska went up 17-14 and the defense needed to stop them... they failed miserably. It was inexcusable. But, you're right - they've played much better as a unit overall.

I also like your other point because it's something I preach regularly. People always like to key in on the last play of the game or something a ref did that totally ruined momentum or a score. While those things matter, a game is made up of dozens of plays and dozens of scenarios. No 'one' thing ever determines the outcome of a game. That's why we always hear coaches talk about consistency.

I still feel that Diaco can prove to be a very good hire...if he's given the chance.

Now....how they started the year defies logic giving up 85 points in the first 6 quarters.  

However, the next 6 quarters were pretty dang good.  yeah yeah yeah....I know.....Oregon quit trying and NIU sucks and they still gave up the last TD when they needed a stop....bla bla bla....

BUT.....I was at least shown enough that I'm interested in seeing where it goes the rest of the year.

Kevin Kugler was just on the radio and claimed Nebraska should be very concerned about the talent level because he didn't see anywhere how Nebraska was more talented than NIU.  If I were talking to him, I would point out the defense.  They did no play anywhere close to perfect defense.  But, they were able to keep them out of the end zone until late in the 4th quarter.  That was done with more talented players making up for mistakes.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This is sort of where I land, as well. Now, when Nebraska went up 17-14 and the defense needed to stop them... they failed miserably. It was inexcusable. But, you're right - they've played much better as a unit overall.

I also like your other point because it's something I preach regularly. People always like to key in on the last play of the game or something a ref did that totally ruined momentum or a score. While those things matter, a game is made up of dozens of plays and dozens of scenarios. No 'one' thing ever determines the outcome of a game. That's why we always hear coaches talk about consistency.

The defense got a lot of help from their offense.  Their QB didn't throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield the ENTIRE first half.  We spotted them 14 points and they sat back and played with house money.

The real take-away was we absolutely could not stop them once they decided to try.  The first play of their scoring drive may have been the first time they tried to be aggressive all game and it worked perfectly.

Our defense has looked better the last six quarters because we've played against offenses that are barely trying to move the ball.

15 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

While we lost a very ugly, disappointing game, I feel the Defensive performance got a bit overlooked.  I know they gave up a touchdown at the very worst time, but giving up one touchdown and taking heat is like when people dog on the guy who missed the last shot in basketball that would have won the game.  Yes, it is good to make every shot, but everyone had chances earlier in the game to make that last shot moot.

7 points in the last six quarters is pretty salty in my opinion, regardless of the competition.  

Please don't try to convince me otherwise.....this is all I have to hang on to!

let go Grandpa just let go.

5 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

image.jpeg.5f3be35c96198110492ebf9ca737f007.jpeg

Would it kill you to NOT be pessimistic about every freaking aspect of this team?  To admit Diaco did a good job?  Criminy!

this show is on its way out so why even ignore the obvious? so I guess the answer is no. Winning a medal is a good job if you're in the special Olympics, but I won't pretend to think you could compete elsewhere- If you'd like we could give Diaco a cookie if he keeps Rutgers under 10 points

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The defense got a lot of help from their offense.  Their QB didn't throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield the ENTIRE first half.  We spotted them 14 points and they sat back and played with house money.

The real take-away was we absolutely could not stop them once they decided to try.  The first play of their scoring drive may have been the first time they tried to be aggressive all game and it worked perfectly.

Our defense has looked better the last six quarters because we've played against offenses that are barely trying to move the ball.

This is all supposed to be in spoilers. I promised the poor guy. 

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree. I guess they've played better but with some caveats and, when it really mattered, the defense crumbled against NIU.

11 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

He's putting in a completely different defensive philosophy with guys that were recruited to run a different defense.  I'd say we should be happy with improvement(it needs to continue).  

This gets overstated. The position group that has the most change is the defensive line, and they've easily been the best group on the defense, and one of the more consistent position groups on the entire team.

Coverage is coverage. Maintaining your gap discipline, playing contain....these are universal concepts. Nebraska didn't reinvent what it means to play defense.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, brophog said:

This gets overstated. The position group that has the most change is the defensive line, and they've easily been the best group on the defense, and one of the more consistent position groups on the entire team.

Coverage is coverage. Maintaining your gap discipline, playing contain....these are universal concepts. Nebraska didn't reinvent what it means to play defense.

The difference between 3-4 and 4-3 personnel is vastly different.  And while basic concepts are the same...... grasping basic concepts is not enough in this day and age.

28 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

The difference between 3-4 and 4-3 personnel is vastly different. 

No offense, but if you think that I don't know where we can even begin our conversation. Both of what people refer to those defenses as can be run in so many alignments that they become almost indistinguishable, which is why I always refer to fronts, alignments, and coverages insteadDefensive football has advanced well beyond such generic terms.

If you want to say a guy is good as a 5 tech, but not as a 7 or wide 9, I'll buy that. But that's not specific to either of those generic descriptors. Diaco has used a lot of 5 tech so far....but so did Bo.