What happens when Frost or Trev turns Nebraska down?

soup

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get that feeling that people have that Frost needs more time at UCF or another school, and then he can come to NU.  If NU doesn't go after Frost this year, they will most likely not have another chance.  The timing of a hire depends on a lot of luck, and if NU doesn't make a move on Frost this year, I don't see the timing working out well again.

I'm was thinking the exact same thing.  He is a hot commodity as of this moment.  Strike while the iron is hot - and potentially available.

8 hours ago, brophog said:

Why? This sort of statement comes up a lot without much to back it up. Why this style, specifically, and above all other styles? College football has shown many ways to win, and the one common denominator is that teams that win consistently execute whatever they do well. That's why Washington St is suddenly noteworthy, that's why Nebraska was once noteworthy. Different styles, but the same high execution. Can anyone tell me one play, over the last several years, that Nebraska ran consistently well? I can't over the course of several coordinators. I can think of fly by night plays that worked for a short stretch, but I can't recall one for a very long time that was the kind of play executed to a high degree that one could have confidence in.

Let's paint a scenario for the idea that Nebraska has to copy Wisconsin in order to break through this current ceiling. Suppose Nebraska is the top team in the West. If you don't like that, suppose Nebraska and Ohio St swapped divisions permanently. Paint it however, but don't change Wisconsin. What is the viewpoint of Wisconsin now? They're now Bo Pelini...5-3/4-4, 9/10 wins. Maybe they don't get blown out as often (cough 59-0 cough), but they're Bo Pelini. When you look at Wisconsin's record against the best Big Ten sides, which conveniently all are in another division, it's not great (they've also dodged most of the better teams). The team they've most consistently played is Ohio St, whom they've lost the last 5. They played Michigan once since 2010, lost. They've lost the last 3 to Penn St (and 5 of the last 6). They've played MSU once since 2012 (win last year).

It appears to me that the thing that is making Wisconsin seem worthy of copying is that Nebraska isn't.

Because for 25 years Osborne figured it out. We CAN'T consistently recruit top players that's why the walk on program was so strong it obtained the very best they could get. The weather in Lincoln is not so favorable for a pro style offense to sling it 35-40 times. Callahan failed at it, Riley is failing at it. Throwing the ball around like that ensures one thing, INT's or an incomplete pass on 2nd and 5 or 3rd and freaking 2. We went from recruiting fast and slim players on defense to stop spread offenses in the Big XII to the Big 10. We have no identity under Mike Riley. We haven't had an identity since probably 1999-2001. Solich was an awful recruiter, that was his downfall. The same can be said for Pelini.

Osborne figured it out, he had to commit to the run and be the most physical team there was and recruit speed on defense. Of course today, there's scholarship limitations and the elimination of the Proposition 48 rule. This killed Nebraska football.

We are limited, geographically, it is easier to find, recruit, and teach OL to run block than pass block as well. Why fix something that wasn't even broken to begin with??? The Pederson era and everything he did to destroy the program has to be undone. Perlman being gone as I've said in the past, is the best thing that's happened to the football program in a long, long time.

Green and Bounds made it clear, they'd like to return our football program to the consistency and level of success that everyone saw in the 90's. Sure, we won national championships but by God people were sh***ng in their pants to play us. This is what we need to get back. Our identity, toughness, brutality, hard work. We have a head coach who has no accountability or disciplinary skills. We have had nothing but coaches who coddle the players like they're babies since Frank Solich.

The players will hold themselves accountable and begin to compete at a high level when they have a coach that exudes these qualities. We don't have it and we have to get it.

Teams in the Pac-12 can execute what they do well because of, again geographical area, weather, environment, etc. most Californians aren't going to come play for Nebraska, no, they'll play for USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, and others. The same can be said for Texas now. They can go to OU, Texas, or hell, the SEC and play for A&M. These teams do what they do well because of where they're located and how much easier it is to recruit there.

Wisconsin has been the Nebraska of the Big 10 like Nebraska was for the Big 8. Because of Barry Alvarez who is... Ding ding ding a Nebraska alum! Wow, look at that. A former Nebraska player who tries everything he can to emulate his program just like his Alma mater, walk on program, recruit the best OL they can find, a physical running attack and continuity on defense without changing much. 

Nebraska used to be able to run 10-15 plays to perfection during our winning tradition days. Our practices were, like Mark Banker said about Iowa's practices, "a bloodbath." 

These things worked for Nebraska in the past and again, why change something that wasn't broken to begin with? Nebraska used to have the best offensive and defensive lines in the country. We've paid the price for firing a 9-3 head coach in 2003. We lost our way. We've seen some of the worst defeats in our programs history since. We've had losing seasons including one under the current regime, and a poor start to this one. We've lost our way and now it's time to get it back for good.

• Plus1 4

The walk on program will never be as strong as it was.  These kids don't know the Nebraska football that we do.  Why walk on at NU when North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northwest Missouri State, Wyoming  and every other local college is recruiting them.    Kids just want to play, have school paid for, wear flashy gear and have a chance to play for championships (NDSU).  With the scholarship limits and an even playing field, its just not the same.  BO really damaged our walk on program/ in state recruiting and it drives me crazy seeing these kids play for other schools (iowa). 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FTW said:

Because for 25 years Osborne figured it out. We CAN'T consistently recruit top players that's why the walk on program was so strong it obtained the very best they could get.

So we must recruit to one specific, yet undefined offense because of recruiting? I don't understand that when Wisconsin's offensive personnel and philosophy is very similar to Riley's stated goals and they don't recruit as well. The point of this conversation is that we must be like Wisconsin, right?

Recruiting is more impactful on the defensive side due to its reactionary basis and need for force multipliers. If the argument is true, that we can't recruit to Nebraska, then how do we have a high level defense? 

I agree that the walk on program is important. I think Nebraska can also better utilize the tremendous JUCOs in the area. There are certainly unique challenges. What I haven't heard is why that limits offensive choice to such a narrow degree. The weather is stated as a reason yet in the surrounding states there have been a myriad of successful teams running various styles.  Tom Brady and Brett Favre are two of the greatest pro QBs of all time playing in two of the harshest winter environments in pro football. What makes Lincoln such a meteorological anomaly?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

What I haven't heard is why that limits offensive choice to such a narrow degree.

I agree, it shouldn't. We need a good/great coach, that hires a top flight staff, that recruits to his system well. That's it, no magic formula or specific offense. Just bc Wisconsin has done it their way, and Osborne did it his way, doesn't mean that's the only way.

I'd love to see Frost's offense in here personally, I think it would be a ton of fun and he could be the right man to lead the way.

Strangely enough, I liked a lot of what Bo was trying to do on offense with Beck. I think the problem was Bo and his staff didn't recruit at a high enough level at certain positions and Beck was a shaky practitioner of the offense. 

And the defense ended up getting him fired as much as anything, partially recruiting related imo. Being soft vs the run in the B1G is a killer.

24 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Strangely enough, I liked a lot of what Bo was trying to do on offense with Beck. I think the problem was Bo and his staff didn't recruit at a high enough level at certain positions and Beck was a shaky practitioner of the offense. 

And the defense ended up getting him fired as much as anything, partially recruiting related imo. Being soft vs the run in the B1G is a killer.

Their offense was hurt by injury, as well. I felt like Martinez was only 100% healthy for about 40% of our games after his initial injury.

Seems like Burkhead had some injuries at some untimely moments, as well.

I think Becks big problem was that he got too comfortable with the philosophy of 'take what the defense gives you' and never established a true identity. We never committed to being a true spread option team, power run w/ a dual-threat QB, etc... we never had an identity on offense.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

So we must recruit to one specific, yet undefined offense because of recruiting? I don't understand that when Wisconsin's offensive personnel and philosophy is very similar to Riley's stated goals and they don't recruit as well. The point of this conversation is that we must be like Wisconsin, right?

Recruiting is more impactful on the defensive side due to its reactionary basis and need for force multipliers. If the argument is true, that we can't recruit to Nebraska, then how do we have a high level defense? 

I agree that the walk on program is important. I think Nebraska can also better utilize the tremendous JUCOs in the area. There are certainly unique challenges. What I haven't heard is why that limits offensive choice to such a narrow degree. The weather is stated as a reason yet in the surrounding states there have been a myriad of successful teams running various styles.  Tom Brady and Brett Favre are two of the greatest pro QBs of all time playing in two of the harshest winter environments in pro football. What makes Lincoln such a meteorological anomaly?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Guys who have 10-15 years experience doing what they do and using Brady and Favre as examples??? Just lol. A college kid gets at most 4 years to play in and study their system do you think every player has that system mastered by year 4? No. That's why Favre and Brady are/were in the pros because they had 10-15 years experience. What a silly post after you pluck one minor section out of mine to quote. And newsflash, we don't have a "high level defense" It's serviceable at best. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, and the remainder of our opponents are going to embarrass us. I see many holes abound unlike the average Nebraska fan.

Our biggest weakness is our defensive line. They're going to get whipped by a talented offensive line. I've already seen them get dominated by lesser opponents. We're lucky we have faced some of the worst offenses on our schedule. A QB that can throw is going to torch our secondary over the middle because our safeties are proven to be slow.

Hate to break it to you but your "high level defense" is going to get torched for at least 4 more games and we'll be lucky to get to 6-6.

8 hours ago, FTW said:

Because for 25 years Osborne figured it out. We CAN'T consistently recruit top players that's why the walk on program was so strong it obtained the very best they could get. The weather in Lincoln is not so favorable for a pro style offense to sling it 35-40 times. Callahan failed at it, Riley is failing at it. Throwing the ball around like that ensures one thing, INT's or an incomplete pass on 2nd and 5 or 3rd and freaking 2. We went from recruiting fast and slim players on defense to stop spread offenses in the Big XII to the Big 10. We have no identity under Mike Riley. We haven't had an identity since probably 1999-2001. Solich was an awful recruiter, that was his downfall. The same can be said for Pelini.

Osborne figured it out, he had to commit to the run and be the most physical team there was and recruit speed on defense. Of course today, there's scholarship limitations and the elimination of the Proposition 48 rule. This killed Nebraska football.

We are limited, geographically, it is easier to find, recruit, and teach OL to run block than pass block as well. Why fix something that wasn't even broken to begin with??? The Pederson era and everything he did to destroy the program has to be undone. Perlman being gone as I've said in the past, is the best thing that's happened to the football program in a long, long time.

Green and Bounds made it clear, they'd like to return our football program to the consistency and level of success that everyone saw in the 90's. Sure, we won national championships but by God people were sh***ng in their pants to play us. This is what we need to get back. Our identity, toughness, brutality, hard work. We have a head coach who has no accountability or disciplinary skills. We have had nothing but coaches who coddle the players like they're babies since Frank Solich.

The players will hold themselves accountable and begin to compete at a high level when they have a coach that exudes these qualities. We don't have it and we have to get it.

Teams in the Pac-12 can execute what they do well because of, again geographical area, weather, environment, etc. most Californians aren't going to come play for Nebraska, no, they'll play for USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, and others. The same can be said for Texas now. They can go to OU, Texas, or hell, the SEC and play for A&M. These teams do what they do well because of where they're located and how much easier it is to recruit there.

Wisconsin has been the Nebraska of the Big 10 like Nebraska was for the Big 8. Because of Barry Alvarez who is... Ding ding ding a Nebraska alum! Wow, look at that. A former Nebraska player who tries everything he can to emulate his program just like his Alma mater, walk on program, recruit the best OL they can find, a physical running attack and continuity on defense without changing much. 

Nebraska used to be able to run 10-15 plays to perfection during our winning tradition days. Our practices were, like Mark Banker said about Iowa's practices, "a bloodbath." 

These things worked for Nebraska in the past and again, why change something that wasn't broken to begin with? Nebraska used to have the best offensive and defensive lines in the country. We've paid the price for firing a 9-3 head coach in 2003. We lost our way. We've seen some of the worst defeats in our programs history since. We've had losing seasons including one under the current regime, and a poor start to this one. We've lost our way and now it's time to get it back for good.

here here!