Riley, Diaco Dilemma

Hunter94

6 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Some UCF people think that they would promote their DC, Erik Chinander, to HC if Frost leaves. That helps the case for Diaco perhaps staying. 

Yeah frost and diaco have a past encounter - not likely that they would enjoy each others company going forward.

22 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Yeah. I would really like to see some staff continuity if Riley were to be fired.

If Diaco keeps this up, Id be pretty disappointed to lose him.

someone mentioned that Frost is basically married to his DC though. Perhaps he'd take a demotion to a position coach if he got a big enough raise? Ryan Held I believe? 

His DC is Erik Chinander.  Held coaches RBs.

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There was at least 1 play on a 3rd down where our DB basically sprinted back 12 yards away from the WR and then Illinois snapped the ball and the QB immediately threw it right to him and he got the 1st down.

It's baffling that we do this.

Just watched the game and this jumped out early. It was Jackson who then got stiff armed and thrown down by the WR on his way to an easy first down. Also, for us being good against the run, the Illini sure ran over us their first couple drives of the game. In fact, their field goal drives could've both easily been touchdowns. The first one their back missed jumping his run outside to an easy TD and the second one, their best WR simply dropped the ball. Game could've been 21-14 right there. I've definitely seen some improvements on defense but let's hold back from declaring a turnaround.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, lo country said:

His current DC runs a 3-4.  Was with Frost at Northern Iowa and Oregon.  Been with him a while.  Great resume as far as statistics at UCF and previous stops.

http://www.ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=920&path=football

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-erik-chinander-football-post.html

Some pretty good #s and he knows the lay of the land in the MidWest - coming from Iowa.  Good pro coaching record  as well.  IF SF becomes HC and brings him, it would lower the anxiety on the D side as it is a similar system.  Would like to see us keep Parella if at all possible. I think he is doing a very good job and would strengthen the historical ties to the past glory days- which is a motivational tool when today's recruits don't understand what NU football WAS.

• Plus1 1

On 10/1/2017 at 8:49 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Diaco isn't getting any head coaching offers considering his epic fail job at UConn.

And the story is still developing here as well.  We got our toughest competition still coming up.  We'll see how well his D does in the next few weeks.

• Plus1 1

I'm still puzzled by the views on Diaco.  Those that praised him know the recruiting classes he had to work with at ND.  They were highly ranked classes, I won't post them again here.

So, he enters the stage here with much lower rated classes and additionally a new scheme which does not have the players recruited for it (as a general comment, I know we can mix and match and move them around) and these guys are all learning their new roles in the first year.

Hey, I want better defense as well.  We've seen some improvement against some really bad offenses.  Ya, we are going to get exposed as well as we get to the meat of this season and three Top 10 teams ... but in the end ... for me ... this all just is what it is.  It's gonna take time for Diaco to get where we want to be.  Unfortunately, the fans and the program just can't afford to give him three years to implement and recruit to this system.  Poor ol' :bigredn: .  
I sure hope the best for us.  I hope we are on the uptick and not heading for a new bottom.  I keep hoping we have hit bottom each season but the next just seems like more of the same with just enough "hope" to wonder again while the season is farted away.  

:-(