Riley, Diaco Dilemma

Hunter94

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

Cav is gone no matter what happens.  I wouldn't shed a tear if Langsdorf followed suit, zero reason we can't go out and get a top notch Offensive Coordinator like we could have done 3 years ago.

I'd like to see Riley take over the play calling going forward, just for the rest of the season. For s#!ts & giggles.

Lets say Riley does whatever he does to get an chance to come back for at least one more year but its on the terms of having to get rid of Langs and Cav. I wonder if Riley will really want to return if that were the case. That would mean he would have fired his three really good and longtime friends just to save maybe one more year of time coaching at Nebraska. Is he really having that much fun to possibly burn three bridges of friendship? Unless he foresees a national championship in his near future at Nebraska I don't think he will be willing to fire his buddies just for one more year or two more years at UNL.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Lets say Riley does whatever he does to get an chance to come back for at least one more year but its on the terms of having to get rid of Langs and Cav. I wonder if Riley will really want to return if that were the case. That would mean he would have fired his three really good and longtime friends just to save maybe one more year of time coaching at Nebraska. Is he really having that much fun to possibly burn three bridges of friendship? Unless he foresees a national championship in his near future at Nebraska I don't think he will be willing to fire his buddies just for one more year or two more years at UNL.

They should probably  know if Riley gets fired he is probably retiring anyway so it's not like hee gonna bring them to the next place.  I tell guys that work for me that I will go to bat for them as much as possible but if they screw up and it's between me and them.. it's going to be them.  It's a cutthroat business.  I don't see it as burning bridges 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

They should probably  know if Riley gets fired he is probably retiring anyway so it's not like hee gonna bring them to the next place.  I tell guys that work for me that I will go to bat for them as much as possible but if they screw up and it's between me and them.. it's going to be them.  It's a cutthroat business.  I don't see it as burning bridges 

True, but Riley being a nice guy and working with these guys for so long, usually at the end of peoples careers they value friendship and those relationships more then they do their job. Guy could ruin those friendships for maybe just one more or two more years of coaching before retiring. He may look at it to be more appealing to be retired in Key West, inviting his buddies down for some drinks and good stories.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

True, but Riley being a nice guy and working with these guys for so long, usually at the end of peoples careers they value friendship and those relationships more then they do their job. Guy could ruin those friendships for maybe just one more or two more years of coaching before retiring. He may look at it to be more appealing to be retired in Key West, inviting his buddies down for some drinks and good stories.

They are both main reasons he is getting fired... Maybe he is done being friends with them 

23 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

I love when people use the phrase "throwing money" at a problem, or coach and thinking that will automatically solve a problem-

They are probably the ones that max out their credit card limit.

Throwing money at problems when you have money to throw at it typically does solve problems. When you consider that NU football generates over 30M/year in profit for the NU athletic department, it's probably smart to protect your golden goose.

30 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

I love when people use the phrase "throwing money" at a problem, or coach and thinking that will automatically solve a problem-

They are probably the ones that max out their credit card limit.

Except this is more indicative of a very wealthy person using their money to improve the likelihood of a good Return on Investment.

Your post makes no sense as NU doesn't need to use a "credit card".

• Plus1 2

The D is improving.  Maybe the competition isn't, but no doubt we are seeing more stunts, blitzes etc....Diaco is also doing a great job developing depth by actually playing multiple guys.  Some of those guys, should, IMHO replace the starters.

We go 7-5, I think Riley is safe.  IF Riley is safe, I still think he cans Cav for sure and most likely Langs.  Might be a condition to keep the job.  Kind of Solich/Bohls/Darlington in 2002...