Lack of offensive creativity

Creativity means lack of something.  Teams that get too creative often don't have either a good line or lack speed.  Sure, mixing it up some keeps the defense off balance, but thats just that.  

When you don't have a line to block, and you don't have speed backs to run to the edge, you spread out the field more.  You make a defense defend the whole field.  I can't say we do that at all.  WE either run straight up the middle or we chuck it straight down the field.  Not much to defend is there.  If were going to pass the ball, why not put 5 wideouts on the field and spread teams out some?  4 Wideouts and spread it out and run draws at least.  There so many ways to utiilize our current roster and win games.

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What makes you say this?  Wisconsin has pretty much traded coaching staffs three times, yet the same thing happens over and over again.  The only thing that might make this true is if Langs called all the plays for Wisconsin because he would have been passing instead of running. 

I think you started to answer your own question.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

One week fans complain that we are trying to be too multiple.  Trying to run too many different plays.  Trying to be jack of all trades and master of none.

Next week fans complain that we aren't creative enough.  Aren't running enough variety of plays.  Aren't throwing enough at the defense to keep them on their heels.  

It's certainly possible to go from from one extreme to the other.  And one would think the situation would dictate that some as well?  Right?

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What makes you say this?  Wisconsin has pretty much traded coaching staffs three times, yet the same thing happens over and over again.  The only thing that might make this true is if Langs called all the plays for Wisconsin because he would have been passing instead of running. 

I agree.  Look at OSU when Beck went there.....The complaints from Zeke, the beat down from Clemson......That's on an OC who didn't "get it".  Same with Langs. He just doesn't get "it".  Not to mention Wisky is on their 3rd DC in as many years.......

One thing that bothers me is our receivers inability to get open.  I think a lot of it is the routes they run.

Other teams are abusing us with rubs/picks and have for years.  We run very few screens and I don't recall seeing any picks(except the ones the QB tosses). I couldn't care less if they are illegal.  That stops no one from doing it.

I really felt like Lee in the short passing game was going to be the difference this year.  We don't even have a short game.

I don't think it's a creative issue, rather it's an issue of being stubborn in the playcalling. Langsdorf has continued to demonstrate his "sling it around the yard" mentality coupled with his West Coast view of a 3-yard running play is a loss. Even when the situation can dictate to go straight ahead for two yards, Langs tries to get cute and gets in his own way. The system is broken and the coaching staff contiues to stick with it. Watch those middle of the pack Pac-12 games and the offense looks eerily similar.

Does an offense have to be creative? Not necessarily, but an offense has to be versatile and able to attack from multiple formations in multiple ways. Too many times this offense motions into an unbalanced line with a couple of TEs and the run to the TEs side. It's predictable and teams can game plan for this strategy.