Huskers Struggling to Finish Drives

Mavric

Tanner Lee wasn’t sacked. He had time to work in the pocket and watched teammate Devine Ozigbo run for a career-best 112 yards.

And yet, the junior quarterback stood at a podium inside Memorial Stadium after Nebraska’s 38-17 loss trying to explain why one of his best performances of the season didn’t translate into better results.

“I think it’s about finishing,” said Lee, who finished 16 of 32 passing for 262 yards. “We gotta finish drives with points and they kept us from doing that today. They were a solid defense just like we knew they were going to be. I think we played them well, we just didn’t come out with the win.”

The game’s opening possession drove home the point. Nebraska moved the ball 58 yards on four plays — Ozigbo broke a 13-yard run and Lee found De’Mornay Pierson-El for 37 more — before disaster struck. On third-and-2 from the UW 17, Lee’s swing pass to Ozigbo bounced off the junior’s helmet and into the arms of a waiting defender. The result was Lee’s fourth pick-six of the season.

OWH

Huh, it’s almost as if the OC play calling might have something to do with it. But that just can’t be part of the problem with an offense that shows signs of moving the ball yet fails to finish with points, can it?

Seriosly, can somebody compare our rushing stats for how we did running outside the tackles to in between the tackles? It seemed to me that Zig was having a much higher level of success when the play call headed him right for the corner rather than directly into the teeth of wiscy’s D. But there is no way in hell Im going to watch that game again to verify what I think happened. What I saw was play calling directly from an NFL play book and with a propensity to call running plays that would force us into the OC’s desired passing all too often. Am I wrong? Weren’t we gaining 5 to 7 yards per carry outside the tackles and only 2 or 3 inside? That is what I recall as I was yelling at DL on my TV asking him why in the f are you trying to go up the guards a$$ when wider was seemingly more productive. Of course 3rd and 3 is a pass play in Lang’s book...so there is that.

4 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Huh, it’s almost as if the OC play calling might have something to do with it. But that just can’t be part of the problem with an offense that shows signs of moving the ball yet fails to finish with points, can it?

Seriosly, can somebody compare our rushing stats for how we did running outside the tackles to in between the tackles? It seemed to me that Zig was having a much higher level of success when the play call headed him right for the corner rather than directly into the teeth of wiscy’s D. But there is no way in hell Im going to watch that game again to verify what I think happened. What I saw was play calling directly from an NFL play book and with a propensity to call running plays that would force us into the OC’s desired passing all too often. Am I wrong? Weren’t we gaining 5 to 7 yards per carry outside the tackles and only 2 or 3 inside? That is what I recall as I was yelling at DL on my TV asking him why in the f are you trying to go up the guards a$$ when wider was seemingly more productive. Of course 3rd and 3 is a pass play in Lang’s book...so there is that.

This is pretty SOP for DL.  He goes brain-dead and the only running play he can call is straight up the center's butt.

Two year's ago, Literally 60% of Newby's carries were "up middle".  Another 20% were "off tackle".  Only 20% were "around end".  And that's with our speed back.

Last year we refused to pull anyone.  Some wanted to pawn that off as injuries.  We were doing a better job earlier in the year of having some counter action with guards and H-backs pulling.  But that has largely disappeared again.

He simply do not know how to put together a coherent rushing attack.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Or passing attack. You say outside run, I say slant route. 

Frankly, I'm not sure that our route tree isn't more limited than our run block schemes. It's just hard to see due to camera angles.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

Or passing attack. You say outside run, I say slant route. 

Frankly, I'm not sure that our route tree isn't more limited than our run block schemes. It's just hard to see due to camera angles.

I would really like to see the All-22 views on our passing routes.  Every once in awhile there is a really nice concept that shows up.  Morgans TD - clearing one side of the field and dragging Morgan across underneath - was nice.  

But our receivers seem to have a terrible time getting open.  With guys like DPE and Lindsey out there, I would think they would be open a lot.  But that's not happening.

Of course, the other part of that is we have to throw the ball on time and on target.  On our first drive, DPE was WIDE OPEN but the pass was so bad it gave the defense time to catch up and make the tackle.  Another time Lindsey was WIDE OPEN going to the sideline.  But Lee was late and behind Lindsey so the defender had time recover and knock it away.  So that's not helping either.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This is pretty SOP for DL.  He goes brain-dead and the only running play he can call is straight up the center's butt.

Two year's ago, Literally 60% of Newby's carries were "up middle".  Another 20% were "off tackle".  Only 20% were "around end".  And that's with our speed back.

Last year we refused to pull anyone.  Some wanted to pawn that off as injuries.  We were doing a better job earlier in the year of having some counter action with guards and H-backs pulling.  But that has largely disappeared again.

I agree with both posts (how to I capture both in a quote?).  Langs is completely inept in play calling.  No play to attempt to negate their aggressive D.  No jet sweep, reverse, counter, traps, quick slant, pop pass you name it. Continually slamming him into the meat of that front 7.  Even after they started to stack the box daring u to pass....

Come on guys, our offense is predictable.  Its easy to find our receivers because we run the same routes over and over again.  This is the issue.  I hardly, if at all, have seen us run any quick hitting slants.  Its always up field 20 yards and dead straight ahead.  Thats easy to cover with a zone scheme, let alone in man coverage with safeties over the top.