Current players vs. Future Players - best Power Five offers

knapplc

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

Something that has been bugging me since we walked out of Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

If you switched Nebraska's & Wisconsin's offensive lines, who wins that game? Guarantee you it's us, and we'd likely be undefeated right now. 

It really comes down to five players right now.

One of the most accurate posts I've read on this board all season.

3 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

This is why you have to have a vision, identity, and recruit hard working intrinsically motivated guys.

I don't believe NU has a whole lot of those dudes. College football is full of emotion. Completely opposite of the NFL business model. Guys need to be excited to play football.

So that's why Chip Kelly hired Street Agents,    He needed their help to find emotional players. 

8 hours ago, jessica0 said:

Name me a program that doesn't have talent coming in. 

Really? Look, I agree that Riley needs to go, but since you’re just looking for an arguement I’ll play along for a bit. 

Kansas, wake forest, Wyoming, Indiana, Syracuse, Arizona, there are a hundred programs bring in lower rated classes, I won’t list them all.  We could be in a worse spot with someone else. We’ve had what 3 5 stars visit so far this year? When was the last time we had 1? I don’t think Riley is a very good coach, my issue is there better be a solid plan in place before he is fired. If we screw this hire up we will be in a much worse place than we are now, not sure I want you to see what that. So unless they have frost, or some other home run hire, signed in advance, I think we should keep our pitch forks at bay

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, knapplc said:

Something that has been bugging me since we walked out of Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

If you switched Nebraska's & Wisconsin's offensive lines, who wins that game? Guarantee you it's us, and we'd likely be undefeated right now. 

It really comes down to five players right now.

Maybe but if we still had Langs he'd be chucking it around and running the stupidest situational plays so it might not matter.  As good as wiscy online was at run blocking they didn't seem that great at pass pro

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

One of the most accurate posts I've read on this board all season.

Yeah.....

According to 24/7, here's what Wisconsin started on the O-line:
Biadasz 3* .8405

Dietzen 3* .8898

Edwards 3* .8600

Deiter 3* .8328

Benzschawel 3* .8144

Nebraska started:

Jaimes 3* .8797

Decker 3* .8543

Farmer 4* .9021

Gates 4* .8929

Foster 3* .8874

Clearly it's only a talent issue. 

6 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

So that's why Chip Kelly hired Street Agents,    He needed their help to find emotional players. 

Oregon players had a “why” back then. Under Helfrich they lost their “why” and their “care”. Resulted in them going 4-8 and him getting canned.

That’s what Riley is

• Plus1 1

Riley seems to have done a good job of creating a family atmosphere for the team. The players seem to love him and their coaches.

What he hasn't done, apparently, is figured out a way to channel that love for each other into a focus on on-the-field excellence.

In a way it's not a lot different than Bo's bunker mentality, it's just friendlier. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Yeah.....

Clearly it's only a talent issue. 

I get your sarcasm, but I also know you agree there's a lot more to an O-line than talent and coaching.  It's not a coincidence you don't actually say anywhere you disagree with the assessment "swap O-lines and we win the game". 

Things that can make one O-line superior to another outside of talent, effort, and coaching?

1.  Individual games played(experience).

2.  Total games played together(unit experience).

3.  Communication

4.  Leadership

5.  Size

6.  Explosiveness, quickness, and ability of back they're blocking for.

LT  6' 6-338 Dieter 31 starts

RT 6' 7-315 Edwards 30 starts

RG 6' 6-317 Benzschawal 26 starts

LG 6' 6-336 Dietzen 9 starts 13 games played

C   6' 3-316 Biadez 4 starts

1,622 lbs.  104 combined starts

LT 6' 5-295 Nick Gates 27 starts

LG 6' 3-310 Jerald Foster 9 starts

RG 6' 4-305 Tanner Farmer 16 starts

RT 6' 5-280 Brenden Jaimes  2 starts

C 6' 4-305 Mike Decker 2 starts

1,495 lbs.  56 combined starts

To be hones I thought our o-line actually outplayed Wisconsin's for the first few quarters.  They did a better job protecting the QB and that was with great coverage by badger secondary.  Ultimately our lack of fresh d-linemen late in the game going up against their bigger, and vastly more experienced o-line was the difference.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I get your sarcasm, but I also know you agree there's a lot more to an O-line than talent and coaching.  It's not a coincidence you don't actually say anywhere you disagree with the assessment "swap O-lines and we win the game". 

Things that can make one O-line superior to another outside of talent, effort, and coaching?

. . . and then you listed a bunch of stuff that is a direct result of coaching. smh

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

Oregon players had a “why” back then. Under Helfrich they lost their “why” and their “care”. Resulted in them going 4-8 and him getting canned.

That’s what Riley is

Wow talk about a creative narrative.  Helfrich played in the national championship game did he not?

Helfrich also suffered from the recruiting violation penalties imposed on the program due to Chip Kelly's use of Street Agents to find "emotional players". 

He had to clean up the mess his predecessor left behind.  Chip was smart to get out, he knew exactly where the program was heading once his under the table supply of talent was put to an end.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Everything.  Which item did you list that you believe isn't a result of coaching?

Nice try. lol

59 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

1.  Individual games played(experience).

2.  Total games played together(unit experience).

3.  Communication

4.  Leadership

5.  Size

6.  Explosiveness, quickness, and ability of back they're blocking for.

LT  6' 6-338 Dieter 31 starts

RT 6' 7-315 Edwards 30 starts

RG 6' 6-317 Benzschawal 26 starts

LG 6' 6-336 Dietzen 9 starts 13 games played

C   6' 3-316 Biadez 4 starts

1,622 lbs.  104 combined starts

LT 6' 5-295 Nick Gates 27 starts

LG 6' 3-310 Jerald Foster 9 starts

RG 6' 4-305 Tanner Farmer 16 starts

RT 6' 5-280 Brenden Jaimes  2 starts

C 6' 4-305 Mike Decker 2 starts

1,495 lbs.  56 combined starts

To be hones I thought our o-line actually outplayed Wisconsin's for the first few quarters.  They did a better job protecting the QB and that was with great coverage by badger secondary.  Ultimately our lack of fresh d-linemen late in the game going up against their bigger, and vastly more experienced o-line was the difference.