Current players vs. Future Players - best Power Five offers

knapplc

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Something that has been bugging me since we walked out of Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

If you switched Nebraska's & Wisconsin's offensive lines, who wins that game? Guarantee you it's us, and we'd likely be undefeated right now. 

It really comes down to five players right now.

Possibly.

If we switched offensive lines and OCs, definitely.

We have been able to successfully run the ball when we actually try and call a competent running game.  Our third-string running back had almost 100 yards at halftime despite an incredibly predictable set of play calls against a pretty decent rushing defense.  But Langsdorf was still calling pass plays over 57% of the time despite only completing 50%.  And calling a lot of straight-ahead runs.

• Plus1 4

I don't really follow recruiting but by the format alone you can tell this guy has an agenda. Of course it looks lopsided for the future when you list only the one best offer for the current starter and a whole laundry list of offers for the future guy. IMO offers don't mean sh#t anyway. The real story is what the staff does with the guys they put on the field. We know how that's going. I'll eat my hat if somebody tries to tell me our woes are talent based and the other teams in the B1G West that handle us are recruiting that much better than us.

If the story is that Riley will do better in the future with even more of his guys, I hate to break it to ya but this is his 3rd year and he has mostly his guys or Bo guys that he has coached for 2+ years, his quarterback, his offensive system......so why are things trending down instead of up this year? Talent? Bullsh#t.

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Riley isn't some recruiting genius (although I will admit that our recruiting social media presence is top shelf).   He is recruiting at roughly the same level as Bo on average.

See Mav's handy chart:

Class Average Recruits (# 4*+)
 02    .8316    18 (2)
 03    .8316    19 (2)
 04    .8237    20 (2)
 05*   .8523    32 (7)
 06*   .8493    22 (5)
 07*   .8587    26 (6)
 08    .8449    29 (3)
 09    .8580    19 (2)
 10*   .8642    20 (5)
 11    .8832    21 (9)
 12    .8773    17 (8)
 13    .8655    24 (7)
 14    .8601    25 (2)
 15    .8617    21 (4)
 16    .8707    21 (5)

17    .8758    20 (5)

Was going to say the same thing.  Riley, per popular opinion, isn't killing as well on the recruiting trail as people would think....One could also read the above that Bo left Riley with "more" talent.  Of course thats the raw numbers not taking into account transfers, guys who never played a down etc....I do thing the recruiting PR is doing a much better job selling the "big gets", but the end of the day we aren't bringing in top 15 classes.....Although we are recruiting better than the West and all but 3-4 teams in the East the W-L isn't showing this....

The other baffling thing (roster mismanagement?) is that guys like Decker and Jaimes, Stilles, who appear to "play better", wouldn't have seen the field without injuries...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Possibly.

We have been able to successfully run the ball when we actually try and call a competent running game.  Our third-string running back had almost 100 yards at halftime despite an incredibly predictable set of play calls against a pretty decent rushing defense.  But Langsdorf was still calling pass plays over 57% of the time despite only completing 50%.  And calling a lot of straight-ahead runs.

Better-Call-Saul-Jimmy-McGill-Saul-Goodm

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Possibly.

I've been noticing the straight-ahead runs more and more. We'll run to the outside and get a ton of yards, but then the next 3-4 run plays are all straight up the middle into a stacked box. It's like Langs is running the ball because he's being told to, and wants to get fewer yards so he can call more passing plays. I don't believe that's what he's doing, but there has to be a reason for it.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Something that has been bugging me since we walked out of Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

If you switched Nebraska's & Wisconsin's offensive lines, who wins that game? Guarantee you it's us, and we'd likely be undefeated right now. 

I'd agree with that. So fire Cav, and throw a suitcase of money at an elite O-line coach is a good start if Riley stays.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Not if our five had several years with the Wisconsin staff and their five had several years with our staff.

According to 24/7, here's what Wisconsin started on the O-line:

Biadasz 3* .8405

Dietzen 3* .8898

Edwards 3* .8600

Deiter 3* .8328

Benzschawel 3* .8144

Nebraska started:

Jaimes 3* .8797

Decker 3* .8543

Farmer 4* .9021

Gates 4* .8929

Foster 3* .8874

• Plus1 6

This kind of analysis doesn't prove anything. All it shows is that young players are not getting developed as they enter the program. The data is also combining years of classes together  (some not even signed) to try and push an agenda. You can compile 4 recruiting classes for any school and make the right column look like that. 

• Plus1 2