Racism - It's a real thing.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, teachercd said:

I said it before...the stupidest thing crazies did was claim they wanted to defund the police and then claim that they did not mean actually defund the police, they just meant to train them better...

Of course crazies said that they were just using the word defund as a marketing tool and they did not really mean to defund the police.

I said it was stupid and would cause problems and here we are...again.  Seem that common sense was right and crazies were wrong again.

Now both sides of crazies think defunding is the answer.  Over and over we have been told that words matter and they are hurtful.  Then the crazies tried to tell us that defunding did not really mean defunding.  Ummmm, words matter?!?!

There is only one area that needs major defunding, the fire departments.  I noticed that super amazing nice FD by my house now has a pickle ball court.   4 of the fire-bros were out playing the other day.

One thing that might help is to stop calling people with legitimate ideas and poor public relations skills "crazies."  Because words matter. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One thing that might help is to stop calling people with legitimate ideas and poor public relations skills "crazies."  Because words matter. 

A legitimate idea is to make sure the police have zero dollars?

No, that is crazy.  

I know you like to get your point across and argue which is totally fine but you can't really think that the police should have zero dollars.  Do you?  Because that is what they said.  

Had they said "We demand that the police be trained in a better and more intelligent way  and that bad cops get in trouble, like they deserve!"

I would be like...That is a great idea, that is a smart lucid plan.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, but he was referencing actual crazies. 

He was also referencing a broader coalition that agrees with the core argument of the "crazies" -- which is more about reallocation of both resources and duties rather than the unfortunate "defunding" vernacular. Some police departments that would love to get out of mental health intervention business agree with it, too. 

And some of them spent precious local taxpayer money buying military vehicles and gear that the Pentagon was happy to unload on them. Which is kinda crazy if you think about it. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

A legitimate idea is to make sure the police have zero dollars?

No, that is crazy.  

I know you like to get your point across and argue which is totally fine but you can't really think that the police should have zero dollars.  Do you?  Because that is what they said.  

Had they said "We demand that the police be trained in a better and more intelligent way  and that bad cops get in trouble, like they deserve!"

I would be like...That is a great idea, that is a smart lucid plan.  

You're a teacher, right? That means you should clear a slightly higher bar when it comes to rhetorical arguments.

You may be able to find an agitated college student or angry Black activist who said police should have zero dollars. But close to zero people were making that argument.

If you dug one inch into the "Defund the Police" platform, you would indeed have found non-crazy and well-informed people "demand that the police be trained in a better and more intelligent way and that bad cops get in trouble, like they deserve!" in addition to taking some money away (defunding) from police departments and putting it into preemptive social services. 

But you got no farther than "Defund the Police!" and that's on you. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're a teacher, right? That means you should clear a slightly higher bar when it comes to rhetorical arguments.

You may be able to find an agitated college student or angry Black activist who said police should have zero dollars. But close to zero people were making that argument.

If you dug one inch into the "Defund the Police" platform, you would indeed have found non-crazy and well-informed people "demand that the police be trained in a better and more intelligent way and that bad cops get in trouble, like they deserve!" in addition to taking some money away (defunding) from police departments and putting it into preemptive social services. 

But you got no farther than "Defund the Police!" and that's on you. 

No, it is on the people that came up with that saying.  It was not my saying.  

I did not dig in, the people that kept saying "defund the police" dug in, they are the crazies.  The other people that want to CHANGE the police and don't say "defund the police" are normal people with a great platform and a good plan.  

And no, that is not my profession.   

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1