Racism - It's a real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I didn't know if it fit better here or Democrat Utopia? This okay in theory, as any missing children should have a priority response, but could you imagine if it was announced that the alert would only be for white kids??

I don't really know the dynamics around this.  But, if black kids that go missing aren't getting the same attention than white kids....then, I don't really have a problem with this.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't really know the dynamics around this.  But, if black kids that go missing aren't getting the same attention than white kids....then, I don't really have a problem with this.

You've heard of the Nationwide system called Amber Alert, right?  I don't think that system cares whether the missing child is white, black, brown or other. It's for missing kids...period. 

Why is it that some people feel they need to isolate and divide based on race?

• TBH 2

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You've heard of the Nationwide system called Amber Alert, right?  I don't think that system cares whether the missing child is white, black, brown or other. It's for missing kids...period. 

Of course I've heard of that.

Like I said, I don't know the dynamics around why they created this.  I would need to know that before I either think it's great or condemned it.

20 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I’m with ya.   I applaud the focus on missing children, but I don’t understand the concept of differentiating the alert on race.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo....maybe let's learn the dynamics around this before we either support it or condemn it.

Sooo….I didn’t support or condemn it.   I said “I don’t understand the concept of differentiating the alert on race”.   Those exact words were used in the post you responded to.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

I guess people can actually read the article and see the info about how black children go missing at a disproportionately higher rate but cases receive less attention than missing white children.

About 141,000 Black children under the age of 18 went missing in 2022, and Black women over 21 accounted for nearly 16,500 missing persons cases that year, according to the most recent data from the National Crime Information Center. More than 30,000 Black people in the U.S. remained missing at the end of 2022, according to the center. Although about 38% of the people who went missing i in 2022 were Black, according to the Black and Missing Foundation, missing Black people are less likely than white people to have their stories highlighted in the media. Also, missing persons cases for Black people remain open longer than those for white people. Derrica Wilson, co-founder of the foundation, told CNN that a majority of the 6,000 cases of missing Black people in her database remain unsolved. 

Or, we can look at the headline and just say "oh no, why are they dividing us based on race?"

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2