Racism - It's a real thing.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...you're a city manager.  The city wants to build something.  Are you going to tear down a nice neighborhood or a crappy neighborhood to do it?

My point is, which neighborhood is torn down, most people would agree with.  The issue is, what can be done with the residents from that neighborhood that allows them to be negatively affected the least.

Your first comment sounds like they had two neighborhoods to choose from that are equally as nice and always chose the minority neighborhood.  Obviously, that is a problem.  But, that's not what I'm talking about.

If I'm going to build something, especially related to transit that's deemed necessary, I'd tear down whatever was the most efficient for the goal. Until all the politicking and bureaucracy gets involved.

I'm certain that there's been numerous times where the more affluent areas would have made more sense to get rid of for something new, but they're the ones with better representation and more ability to organize.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

If I'm going to build something, especially related to transit that's deemed necessary, I'd tear down whatever was the most efficient for the goal. Until all the politicking and bureaucracy gets involved.

I'm certain that there's been numerous times where the more affluent areas would have made more sense to get rid of for something new, but they're the ones with better representation and more ability to organize.

You're city manager, which, you're also responsible for trying to get the most tax income also.  You're going to tear down what would be much higher valued property for tax purposes than old run down houses that many probably shouldn't be lived in anyway.

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who wanted to know why splash  mountain is no longer…

https://screencrush.com/song-of-the-south-racism/

“The problem isn’t necessarily what Song of the South depicts, but what it chooses not to depict. Although Harris’ Uncle Remus stories were set in Georgia after the Civil War, the film adaptation never makes it clear when the story is taking place. Wikipedia tells me that if you’re an expert in Reconstruction-era clothing, you’d recognize Johnny and his family’s late-Victorian wardrobe. But for the rest of us dopes, there’s no indication when the film is set. If you’re not a scholar or an Uncle Remus expert, it’s very easy to assume that the film is set before the Civil War, and that Remus and Aunt Tempy (Hattie McDaniel) are slaves — and that they are completely fine with that.”

Pretty good take on Desantis' rascist anti-woke policies.  

Fast-forward to today. As I remember and reflect on my past, I wonder, Gov. DeSantis, can I legally share this truthful yet sordid history with a high school or college class? How about at a company diversity training session? Does the truth need defense in the “free state of Florida”?

Through your attack on what you deem “woke” culture, you are casually and spitefully invoking the police powers of the state to deny history—history that must be told. These attacks coupled with your recent rejection of an AP course on African American history represent a cruel pattern of discrimination and remind me of how anti-literacy laws were used to deprive so many Black people of the ability to read or write.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 3/9/2023 at 4:44 PM, Archy1221 said:

Driving is now systemically racist :facepalm:

I agree that the Twitter description is trash.  It should read "The 'Haves" are polluting the air breathed by L.A.'s 'Havenots"...

It just so happens that many of the "haves" are white and the "have nots" aren't.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
  • 2 weeks later...