Racism - It's a real thing.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:30 PM, Lorewarn said:

Is there anything in the dominant culture of the United States that's been around for 150 years that doesn't have at least some entanglement in a racist past?

Some believe this, but I suspect the constant examples people report on are growing old for the majority and risk watering down more important issues with racism.

• TBH 2

59 minutes ago, nic said:

Some believe this, but I suspect the constant examples people report on are growing old for the majority and risk watering down more important issues with racism.

Whether it's getting tiresome or not to people who conveniently spent a long period of their life never having to think about such things has nothing to do with the actual answer to the question.

• Plus1 3
On 12/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, Lorewarn said:

Whether it's getting tiresome or not to people who conveniently spent a long period of their life never having to think about such things has nothing to do with the actual answer to the question.

Yeah. That's me. I grew up in the Civil Rights era and had a constant diet of all the positive strides Black people were making and the opportunities they now enjoyed that were unthinkable just a generation earlier. And all that was true, so I didn't think about racism much.

But the fact is our history of racism is truly horrific when you stop and think about it. Which may be why I didn't stop and think about it. And it should have been no surprise that our current racism is much worse than I wanted to believe, which may be why I spent years not believing it. 

It's always weird when white people try to make themselves the aggrieved party because they're tired of hearing about racism. 

• Plus1 4

34 minutes ago, nic said:

I never considered the word "field" as racist. I really want to know whether people are truly offended by this or they never actually thought about it until someone with too much time on their hands brought it up.

https://dailytrojan.com/2023/01/11/dworak-peck-language-change-draws-mixed-reaction/

"Practicum" is not a new word.  I think USC is just trolling the easily offended at this point.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, funhusker said:

"Practicum" is not a new word.  I think USC is just trolling the easily offended at this point.

I think it's funny that so many are offended for other people that probably are not offended. They don't  have the sense of humor to troll.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is the all-purpose antacid to today's Republican froth.

Americans, mostly, are not offended by the things Republicans pretend we're offended by. 

You are on a roll. I am not offended by that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
12 hours ago, nic said:

I think it's funny that so many are offended for other people that probably are not offended. They don't  have the sense of humor to troll.

I don’t know.

Who do you think made a bigger deal of it:

USC students who now have to register for “practicum” instead of “field work”?

Or the authors that took the time to notice and write articles?

99.9999% of America wouldn’t even know this was a thing unless someone didn’t take the time to make it a thing.

• Plus1 3

https://www.thecollegefix.com/individualism-is-example-of-white-supremacy-in-astrophysics-professor/

“As an astrophysicist, I’m a product of institutions that are steeped in systemic racism and white supremacy,” Gosnell (pictured) told the university publication. “The [tenets] of white supremacy that show up [in physics] of individualism and exceptionalism and perfectionism… it’s either-or thinking, and there’s…no subtlety, there’s no gray area.”

“All of this manifests in the way that we think about our research, and what counts as good research, what counts as important research?” she said.

“Most of Gosnell’s career has been dictated by the hyper-masculine world of astrophysics,” the blog reported. “Now, she is deciding that she doesn’t have to fit into that mold — she is changing the ways she teaches physics, and the way she professionally shares it.”

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/individualism-is-example-of-white-supremacy-in-astrophysics-professor/

“As an astrophysicist, I’m a product of institutions that are steeped in systemic racism and white supremacy,” Gosnell (pictured) told the university publication. “The [tenets] of white supremacy that show up [in physics] of individualism and exceptionalism and perfectionism… it’s either-or thinking, and there’s…no subtlety, there’s no gray area.”

“All of this manifests in the way that we think about our research, and what counts as good research, what counts as important research?” she said.

“Most of Gosnell’s career has been dictated by the hyper-masculine world of astrophysics,” the blog reported. “Now, she is deciding that she doesn’t have to fit into that mold — she is changing the ways she teaches physics, and the way she professionally shares it.”

Where do you even find this stuff?

• TBH 3
9 hours ago, nic said:

So what’s next, soon chemistry will be considered racist :lol:

• Plus1 1