Underdog against Purdue

I think you need to understand, not being a smart ass here.  That every team tries to improve every day, every week and every year.  Sometimes things just click, and as we know, sometimes they don't. 

They have kids of near our talent level, I think.  Not exact, but they are motivated.  Personally I like seeing teams improve, makes the game better to watch.  No question they will be up for our game. 

We just have to deal with where we are right now, and trust that the administration will make the right moves for the program.  I don't know what those are, but I think they understand how important Nebraska football is to all of us. 

Edited by skersfan
  • Plus1 1

While I understand what you are getting at, I still find it egregious to see that Nebraska is an underdog to Purdue. 

Year 3 of a coaching regime at Nebraska should not be going into Purdue on underdog. Although people accept that we are just not that good right now, I refuse to accept this as the standard of Nebraska football.  

• Plus1 3

I have a serious question and I don't want to start another thread.

I start this by saying most that have been on this site for the 12 years, know that I was the absolute first to say Bo had no business at Nebraska, before he even took the job.  He is a person that I do not like, or have any use for in any way.  And my reasons come from when he left the first time.  And I stated it way too many times when he was hero here.

I admit I am very supportive of Coach Riley, I hate it that he did not do what we needed, but still have this faint glimmer of hope that he might.  The next 5 games will answer that.  I expect to be routed by Penn State.  The others, who knows?   Not saying he should be retained either.  We need to be better

I am wondering this and possibly some can answer it.  Some say, not me, that Coach Riley is getting close, that he has players in the Freshman, Red Shirt Freshman and Sophomore classes that are very good and seeing the field.  I am not sure if that is true or not. 

My question is, how many of the Seniors and Juniors of Coach Pelini recruits are on the field, actually seeing playing time?  Not a dig at either, but it appears we have some very good young players on the field and are doing well.  It seems to me we have few seniors on the field and haven't for quite a while.  I know we have not put many in the NFL the last few years.

As to the culture of losing, I don't see that in the kids.  I see them trying to the very end, but exhausted, due to lack of rotation, or lack of talent to rotate.

Where am I wrong in my observations.

I have been a Husker fan for over 60 years, and it hurts to see them going thru what they are now.  I have seen the bad, the better, the Devaney years, the we need a coach that can win the big one, we need a coach that can beat Oklahoma, a coach that can beat a Florida school,  other teams besides the little sisters of the Big 8.  We need to get rid of Osborne, Solich, Calahan, Pelini and now Riley.  So I didn't just show up yesterday,  I try to support the Head Coach as long as he is (Other than Pelini) and will for as long as I live.  But I don't dream of NC, I would just love to see Nebraska return to being respectable, I have not seen that level of play/coaching since Solich was fired.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I have a serious question and I don't want to start another thread.

I start this by saying most that have been on this site for the 12 years, know that I was the absolute first to say Bo had no business at Nebraska, before he even took the job.  He is a person that I do not like, or have any use for in any way.  And my reasons come from when he left the first time.  And I stated it way too many times when he was hero here.

I admit I am very supportive of Coach Riley, I hate it that he did not do what we needed, but still have this faint glimmer of hope that he might.  The next 5 games will answer that.  I expect to be routed by Penn State.  The others, who knows?   Not saying he should be retained either.  We need to be better

I am wondering this and possibly some can answer it.  Some say, not me, that Coach Riley is getting close, that he has players in the Freshman, Red Shirt Freshman and Sophomore classes that are very good and seeing the field.  I am not sure if that is true or not. 

My question is, how many of the Seniors and Juniors of Coach Pelini recruits are on the field, actually seeing playing time?  Not a dig at either, but it appears we have some very good young players on the field and are doing well.  It seems to me we have few seniors on the field and haven't for quite a while.  I know we have not put many in the NFL the last few years.

As to the culture of losing, I don't see that in the kids.  I see them trying to the very end, but exhausted, due to lack of rotation, or lack of talent to rotate.

Where am I wrong in my observations.

I have been a Husker fan for over 60 years, and it hurts to see them going thru what they are now.  I have seen the bad, the better, the Devaney years, the we need a coach that can win the big one, we need a coach that can beat Oklahoma, a coach that can beat a Florida school,  other teams besides the little sisters of the Big 8.  We need to get rid of Osborne, Solich, Calahan, Pelini and now Riley.  So I didn't just show up yesterday,  I try to support the Head Coach as long as he is (Other than Pelini) and will for as long as I live.  But I don't dream of NC, I would just love to see Nebraska return to being respectable, I have not seen that level of play/coaching since Solich was fired.

Man I would love to answer this. 

I agree with you Bo was a bad fit, but so is Riley. 

What concerns me about Riley is we don't seem to play fundamentally sound football. The tackling is not good, players are allowed to stay in the game after making mistake after mistake, i.e. T. Lee pick sixes. And Riley plays true freshmen who are not game ready. Lamar Jackson, Jordan Stevenson. He has fired a D cordinator, and a special teams coach and a  D line coach. These coaches should have never been here in the first place.

We have very few freshmen who seem like bright spots in all honesty, J.D. Speilman is an exception, not the rule. We don't have good top talent running backs, and our offensive line play is atrocious. 

@VectorVictor, do these recruiting numbers reflect those still playing.  Does Purdue/Minnesota or any of the rest show that the Junior and Senior classes are represented.  Does it consider how many left for the NFL or are just not good enough to play.  Meaning the upper classmen that have talent, move on to the NFL early, but because of their talent, they young players learn from them.  Does Purdue or any of the others have seniors playing. 

These are serious questions, I have not idea how it works.  I know we have few that actually leave for the NFL, but there does not seem to be many on the team.  I do not know if that is correct, just from what I see when I watch the games.  But have no idea about the other team.

Of the 4th and 5th ranking, how many of that group are still playing at Nebraska?

Another question I have asked before and never got an answer.  Star ratings I am sure are on athletic ability, but does character, motor so to speak count in that as part of the ranking?  Some have made the statement that having the N on your helmet does not guarantee success.  Do we now or did we have that type of player, that says, I got the scolly, I am good?  Be it a Riley, Pelini, Calahan recruit?

Sorry for the long post, but really would like to know the answers.

That loss to Rutgers had to definitely help their case for being the favorite. Because Rutgers must really be that good......

We are coming off a bye playing a lesser talented team. Brohm has made some believers on here but really what has he done besides compete with UL and he competed with Michigan for 3 quarters? His signature win will not come this year, unless it is potentially against us. With the bye we have no excuse not to go into Purdue and beat them by 2 or more tds. Will we, probably not but no matter who our coach is we can't be losing to Purdue. If we do lose it would be really sad and potentially the closest to the low point of this program in a long time.

• Plus1 2

I am not arguing your points, but we have had a lot of OC's here and I do not recall this board ever endorsing a single one of them.  One of them was hand chosen by Coach Osborne, and it seems a couple of them have moved on to other teams and done quite well. 

I just hope what ever happens in the next couple of months, is exactly what we need.  I don't have a lot of years to wait to see a great team again.  Reality, stand the whole game, go blue hair, set and watch the game and die.  Most of you are just kids, I can not imagine not getting to see Nebraska in the 70-90's, but hoping you get to see something similar in the next 10 years.

4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I am not arguing your points, but we have had a lot of OC's here and I do not recall this board ever endorsing a single one of them.  One of them was hand chosen by Coach Osborne, and it seems a couple of them have moved on to other teams and done quite well. 

I just hope what ever happens in the next couple of months, is exactly what we need.  I don't have a lot of years to wait to see a great team again.  Reality, stand the whole game, go blue hair, set and watch the game and die.  Most of you are just kids, I can not imagine not getting to see Nebraska in the 70-90's, but hoping you get to see something similar in the next 10 years.

hahah Tim Beck? have you seen Texas's offense? how about how he was run out of Ohio Sate? 

Shawn Watson? he did pretty bad at Texas too, he had a good year at Louisville but they Teddy Bridgwater playing QB, so I think Teddy gets most the credibility.

58 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Using current expected starters, with recruiting class.  2015 was the transition class.

From Riley's two full classes: 3 offensive starters (4 counting Lee), 1 defensive starter, 6 others

2015 Class after Riley got here: 0 offensive starters, 0 defensive starters, 5 others

2015 Class before Riley: 2 offensive starters, 4 defensive starters, 1 other

Pelini: 5 offensive starters, 6 defensive starters, 1 other

Offensive Starters:

2017 - Lindsey, Jaimes

2016 - Spielman

2015 - Morgan, Decker

2014 - Farmer, Gates, Foster, DPE, Wilbon

Transfer - Lee

Walk-on - Hoppes, McNitt

Defensive Starter:

2017 - None

2016 - Jackson