Development vs. Talent

Mavric

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Didn't think this deserves it's own thread.  But, I enjoy following these discussions on twitter.  These guys get into discussions about various plays and film.

Anyway,  I found this clip interesting.  For the post part, I think Ozigbo is a serviceable back and know this is just one play.  But....this play shows very poor field vision.  There are several places on this play where he could have gained more yards than he got.  In fact, it appears to me, he went right into where there is the biggest chance of him getting tackled for the fewest yards.

I agree that if DO goes farther to his right he most likely picks up another 5 yards or so probably not the 12-15 Sam comes up with.  Ozigbo just isn't quick enough and doesn't have the vision to exploit that type of play.  A back like Ameer  or Burkhead have the quick feet to change direction and break that open better.  Ozigbo and Wilbon don't have it.  I really haven't seen enough of Bradley to say if he does.  This team really missed Bryant when he went out.  

5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I agree that if DO goes farther to his right he most likely picks up another 5 yards or so probably not the 12-15 Sam comes up with.  Ozigbo just isn't quick enough and doesn't have the vision to exploit that type of play.  A back like Ameer  or Burkhead have the quick feet to change direction and break that open better.  Ozigbo and Wilbon don't have it.  I really haven't seen enough of Bradley to say if he does.  This team really missed Bryant when he went out.  

Sam is implying that Ozigbo needed to cut left.  Not go further right to get the 12-15 yards

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Sam is implying that Ozigbo needed to cut left.  Not go further right to get the 12-15 yards

I guess, but again he doesn't have the quick feet or vision to make that cut.  Nebraska's run game is poor on many different levels and the fact that are RB aren't very good is a contributing factor.   Tre Bryant was missed badly this year. Missed to the extent that we might have won a couple more games.  

I think Sam is making an unreasonable claim in that video.

I also think it's worth mentioning that the line has been bad at run blocking this year and I doubt there's a lot of trust between DO and his line to get the job done. It's hard to believe your teammates will make the blocks they're supposed to when they haven't been doing it well all year.

I'm not any sort of Ozigbo fan - I think he's serviceable but nothing great.  

But I don't know that I can fault him a lot for not cutting left like Sam is saying.  The play is designed to go right and there was a pretty good hole there.  I do agree with @BigRedBuster the crashing to his left after getting to the hole is pretty puzzling - you'd think a power back would be salivating to take on a safety with a head of steam.

I think the coaches have always been pretty stuck on Ozigbo.  Newby was out-performing him in every game last year but Ozigbo was still getting the first and most carries until he got hurt.  I thought they had finally figured it out this year as he was down to third string but now they're back to riding him again.  I realize that Wilbon has his deficiencies as well but he's a MUCH better runner than Ozigbo - for my money he's a better runner than Bryant though Bryant is a better all-around back.  But now Wilbon is back to being stuck on the bench again.  Another contributing factor to our running game being substandard.

• Plus1 1