Tenn fires coach and we still have our giant failure

jauken

As a Tennessee fan who has tons of respect for Nebraska, I definitely wish you guys the best. A lot of our fans are wanting us to go after Frost, but obviously you guys have a much better chance at him than we do. I didn’t follow your last coaching search very closely, but I was really surprised when I read the other day that Riley was your AD’s number 1 pick. I always assumed he was about your 5th or 6th choice, like Butch was for us. I know you have a different AD now, but do you know why he zeroed in on Riley? It always seemed like kind of a surprising hire to me, mainly given the fact that he was almost retirement age, so I was just curious. Sorry if this has already been discussed on here a ton.

Edited by Vols1891
3 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

As a Tennessee fan who has tons of respect for Nebraska, I definitely wish you guys the best. A lot of our fans are wanting us to go after Frost, this but logic tells you that you guys obviously have a much better chance at him than we do. I didn’t follow your last coaching search very closely, but I was really surprised when I read the other day that Riley was your AD’s number 1 pick. I always assumed he was about your 5th or 6th choice, like Butch was for us. I know you have a different AD now, but do you know why he zeroed in on Riley? It always seemed like kind of a surprising hire to me, mainly given the fact that he was almost retirement age, so I was just curious. Sorry if this has already been discussed on here a ton.

I think the consensus is our former AD hired Riley because he was the opposite personality of the previous coach; and assumed winning 9 games a year was easier than it actually was.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I think the consensus is our former AD hired Riley because he was the opposite personality of the previous coach; and assumed winning 9 games a year was easier than it actually was.

So you mean just in the sense that Pellini was a hot head, and Riley was seen as a calmer, more easy going guy?

11 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

So you mean just in the sense that Pellini was a hot head, and Riley was seen as a calmer, more easy going guy?

Probably a little understated, but in general, yes.  A better way to say it is probably that the former AD and Pelini did not have a good working relationship and the AD felt that Pelini was a poor representative of the University.  Many people in the Husker fan base agreed with the firing of Pelini, but really questioned both the process that led to the hiring of Riley, and the hire itself.  Three years later, close to no one questioned the firing of the AD nor the will anyone question the firing of Riley. I should add, most people here respect and like Riley and are genuinely disappointed it didn't work out.

Edited by Dbqgolfer
Adding a coment
  • Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Probably a little understated, but in general, yes.  A better way to say it is probably that the former AD and Pelini did not have a good working relationship and the AD felt that Pelini was a poor representative of the University.  Many people in the Husker fan base agreed with the firing of Pelini, but really questioned both the process that led to the hiring of Riley, and the hire itself.  Three years later, close to no one questioned the firing of the AD nor the will anyone question the firing of Riley. I should add, most people here respect and like Riley and are genuinely disappointed it didn't work out.

That makes sense. Riley does seem like a genuinely nice guy from everything I’ve seen of him. I was just surprised you didn’t get a bigger name coach. But then again, I was surprised that we couldn’t do better than Jones or Dooley. In my opinion (and trying to take any bias out of it), I feel like Tennessee and Nebraska are fairly even jobs at this point in time. I know you guys have more historical success than us, but I’m just talking about the attractiveness of the jobs at the present time. 

4 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

That makes sense. Riley does seem like a genuinely nice guy from everything I’ve seen of him. I was just surprised you didn’t get a bigger name coach. But then again, I was surprised that we couldn’t do better than Jones or Dooley. In my opinion (and trying to take any bias out of it), I feel like Tennessee and Nebraska are fairly even jobs at this point in time. I know you guys have more historical success than us, but I’m just talking about the attractiveness of the jobs at the present time. 

I would agree.

9 hours ago, jauken said:

Tenn just fired their coach.   And we still have our giant nice failure.  I’m ready to storm castle with pitchforks.  

Do you know not understand “I don’t make coaching changes during the season”.. At WSU Moos fires the coach on a Saturday (I believe) and hired Leach the next day. So just stop, commenting more about it on a message board isn’t going to somehow make Moos change things. Moos is working on our next coach, just stop.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

Do you know not understand “I don’t make coaching changes during the season”.. At WSU Moos fires the coach on a Saturday (I believe) and hired Leach the next day. So just stop, commenting more about it on a message board isn’t going to somehow make Moos change things. Moos is working on our next coach, just stop.

Look at LSU last year. They fired Miles in the middle of the season and it obviously did nothing to improve their coaching search. Do you guys think Riley has already been informed he won’t be back next year?

40 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

Look at LSU last year. They fired Miles in the middle of the season and it obviously did nothing to improve their coaching search. Do you guys think Riley has already been informed he won’t be back next year?

Is there any point in notifying him? Everyone including MR knows he is gone. The only question is if he is fired Monday, or after Iowa.

10 hours ago, Redux said:

I personally know Butch Jones.  He called me just before getting fired and agreed that he should be fired and we should fire Riley.

I think I've been to your salt water aquarium shop! I bought a trigger fish from you and you got me up to speed on the latest husker gossip. Great shop, btw!

• Plus1 1