Tenn fires coach and we still have our giant failure

jauken

8 hours ago, GA Husker said:

I’m so happy we have Moos.  Our search has been much more professional than Tennessee.  That is the pure definition of a dumpster fire.

I wish we had Moos right now...Currie isn’t going to last long imo. I really do hope you guys land Frost...you deserve to be a top team. In all honesty, you are the classiest fanbase I’ve met.

Edited by Vols1891
  • Plus1 6

Goodness gracious, I actually feel bad for the UT program and its reasonable fans.  Both the administration and the fanbase seemingly have teamed up to demonstrate everything a coaching candidate would not want to see to go there.  A dysfuncitonal administration that displayed poor intra-agency communication and back peddled like a veteran DB at the first sign of trouble.  A fanbase that saved all its the energy from not cheering in Knoxville during a poor season (we all know about that over here) to unleash the venom of a copperhead at one issue when it appears they were focused on another.  If the massive objection to Schiano is truly because they believe he was culpable in the Sandusky tragedy/disgrace, I applaud them standing up.  However, something tells me this was a much as a referendum on him as a coach capable of winning in the SEC.

Man, firing Butch mid season really gave the Vols a leg up in the coaching carousel huh?  They got the guy the wanted and everyone is happy.  We waited til the end of the year and had to settle for guy we didn't want that the fans turned on immediately.

Oh, wait, I have that backwards apparantely!

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

I wish we had Moos right now...Currie isn’t going to last long imo. I really do hope you guys land Frost...you deserve to be a top team. In all honesty, you are the classiest fanbase I’ve met.

I've always been a Bill Dance fan,met him at a bass pro shop,all we talked about was Nebraska and Tennessee getting back to where we belong.

14 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Goodness gracious, I actually feel bad for the UT program and its reasonable fans.  Both the administration and the fanbase seemingly have teamed up to demonstrate everything a coaching candidate would not want to see to go there.  A dysfuncitonal administration that displayed poor intra-agency communication and back peddled like a veteran DB at the first sign of trouble.  A fanbase that saved all its the energy from not cheering in Knoxville during a poor season (we all know about that over here) to unleash the venom of a copperhead at one issue when it appears they were focused on another.  If the massive objection to Schiano is truly because they believe he was culpable in the Sandusky tragedy/disgrace, I applaud them standing up.  However, something tells me this was a much as a referendum on him as a coach capable of winning in the SEC.

In terms of me personally, I wasn’t excited by Schiano but it was mainly because I just didn’t think he was going to be a very good fit for our program. He has a reputation for being abrasive with fans and not being liked by a lot of his players (this was mainly from his NFL tenure though). These are similar issues we just went through with Butch Jones. If Currie had bothered to read a Tennessee message board, he could have seen that a revolt was coming if Schiano was hired. So Currie’s biggest mistake was listening to a couple prominent boosters over the actual fans. The Penn State stuff did concern me but I don’t want to assume Schiano had something to do with it when there just isn’t proof at this point. So while I wasn’t excited at all about Schiano, I was willing to give him a chance if hired. And I do honestly feel bad for the guy if he truly did have nothing to do with the Sandusky coverup. Just a bad situation all around that could have been avoided if the AD had been more in tune with the fanbase.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Oh that's just a terrible idea Tennessee.....wtf are they doing down there?

He would be way overpaid, but we may be running out of options. This tells me we are getting desperate. When we offer Mike Riley $20 million per year tomorrow,  you’ll know how bad it’s gotten!

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

In terms of me personally, I wasn’t excited by Schiano but it was mainly because I just didn’t think he was going to be a very good fit for our program. He has a reputation for being abrasive with fans and not being liked by a lot of his players (this was mainly from his NFL tenure though). These are similar issues we just went through with Butch Jones. If Currie had bothered to read a Tennessee message board, he could have seen that a revolt was coming if Schiano was hired. So Currie’s biggest mistake was listening to a couple prominent boosters over the actual fans. The Penn State stuff did concern me but I don’t want to assume Schiano had something to do with it when there just isn’t proof at this point. So while I wasn’t excited at all about Schiano, I was willing to give him a chance if hired. And I do honestly feel bad for the guy if he truly did have nothing to do with the Sandusky coverup. Just a bad situation all around that could have been avoided if the AD had been more in tune with the fanbase.

Yeah man, you have a great university and a fantastic town.  I hate to see all of this, on many levels.  If Schiano is truly innocent, it is horrible that he will have a hard time getting another HC job for reasons other than his football or leadership acumen.  The Vols AD didn't do his research (imagine that Husker fans) and a proud program looks as if they are in their first rodeo.  Best of luck and hang in there. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Yeah man, you have a great university and a fantastic town.  I hate to see all of this, on many levels.  If Schiano is truly innocent, it is horrible that he will have a hard time getting another HC job for reasons other than his football or leadership acumen.  The Vols AD didn't do his research (imagine that Husker fans) and a proud program looks as if they are in their first rodeo.  Best of luck and hang in there. 

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know you guys have never had a dumpster fire on this level probably, but I do see a lot of similarities between the Tennessee and Nebraska programs. I’m really pulling for you guys to get back on top...I view Nebraska as one of the true “good guys” in college football, and I think college football is just better when Nebraska is good. I was always jealous of your program growing up but just because you were so good.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Vols1891 said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know you guys have never had a dumpster fire on this level probably, but I do see a lot of similarities between the Tennessee and Nebraska programs. I’m really pulling for you guys to get back on top...I view Nebraska as one of the true “good guys” in college football, and I think college football is just better when Nebraska is good. I was always jealous of your program growing up but just because you were so good.

Our 2003 coaching search was a disaster although not so publicly as yours.

5 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

You guys have plenty to be proud of.  We may have beat you in 97, but you won it all in 98.  Tons of players in the pros, including some of the best of all time.  Like I said, Knoxville (and Nashville) are some of my favorite places.  This might turn out to be a blessing and brings fans closer.  Who would have thought that Penn State (truly the seat of that horrible scandal) would turn it around so fast.