Tenn fires coach and we still have our giant failure

jauken

1 hour ago, Vols1891 said:

Look at LSU last year. They fired Miles in the middle of the season and it obviously did nothing to improve their coaching search. Do you guys think Riley has already been informed he won’t be back next year?

That's a really good point. LSU thought they could get Tom Herman. Firing Les Miles early didn't help them. Texas fired Charlie Strong, then officially hired Tom Herman about six hours later.

• Plus1 1

If Moos has already decided to pull the trigger (and I would be shocked if he hasn't) I suspect he is working on the contract with the next coaches agent already, or soon will be.  What good does it do to fire HCMR now?  It is just a meaningless symbolic act that he said he wouldn't do in the first place.  Expect a Saturday morning news conference on the 25th.

9 hours ago, Big red surfers said:

We will finish 4-8 no matter the coach. Let MR leave with his head on his shoulders. I doubt he coaches again. 

This is slowly gong to be the only other acceptable reason for me anyways. I could see giving the man some dignity and let him finish out his career with some class. But still if you stink at your job you stink at your job. 

Two things:

• Folks just don't seem to get that as long as Riley is employed here, it is a valuable smokescreen for Moos to work with. Look at the Florida chatter--we know from their media that their AD was looking at Frost, which tipped their hand and made it easier for Nebraska to counter behind the scenes. Hans f****** Gruber (to quote Kevin Smith) even made a great point about this above with LSU. So for the folks wanting Riley s***canned now, just stop it--we all want him gone, but there's virtue and success in patience. 
  • Also, let's not forget how loved Riley is by former players, current and former coaches, and people in general, for being a nice guy. It doesn't look well for Nebraska, no matter how craptacular this season has gotten, to cut bait with him mid-season and send him packing.
    • Also, don't forget that certain media outlets (including the self-proclaimed "Worldwide Leader of Sports) keep harping on how toxic Nebraska is (I'd suggest that Florida and Tennessee are just as, if not more, toxic, but you'll never hear that line from SEC ESPN...) Firing Riley mid-season and making this even more of a circus than it is already just plays into that narrative. 

Look, for the first time since the 1990s, we have leadership that are all pulling in the same, correct direction. Let's just take a step back, chill, and let Green, Moos, et al do their job. If it bothers you that much that Riley isn't terminated, then excuse yourself for the last couple of games--go take a trip somewhere you haven't done during football season before, start your Xmas shopping early, put your Xmas lights up, plan a Thanksgiving day meal, do something with your significant other that is typically a football widow. 

Because if you just let Moos, et al, do their damn jobs without interference, I promise you that the days of making plans around Nebraska football and making your spouse a football widow will be back before you know it. Keep nitpicking and throwing out venom, and you'll have your Saturdays free for quite some time to go *shudder* antiquing. 

• Plus1 3
20 hours ago, jauken said:

Parella.   It’s addition by subtraction. You get rid of Riley and it shows fan base you care.  Right now it appears that moos will wait irregardless of how this team or coach performs.  It screams apathy.  They don’t care so why should we???  

What has Parrella done to show he should be an interim HC, let alone retained next year? 

11 hours ago, drfish said:

If Moos has already decided to pull the trigger (and I would be shocked if he hasn't) I suspect he is working on the contract with the next coaches agent already, or soon will be.  What good does it do to fire HCMR now?  It is just a meaningless symbolic act that he said he wouldn't do in the first place.  Expect a Saturday morning news conference on the 25th.

Most of what I've heard recently is they're in contract negotiations already. My expectation is Riley will leave after Black Friday and the new coach will be named within a few days.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...