Assistants-who do we want?

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Not canning him after the DUI

Ok he may be loyal to him as a person but I don't know why that would influence his coaching style with the next coach. No matter where he goes he will have to coach how the HC wants him to coach to some extent. Why would he purposely be abrasive so he could coach the way a guy who he coached with for three years and with little success had him coach? 

Look at this current staff:

Riley-Gone

Langs-No way in hell

Diaco-no way in hell

Dub-12 games of receivers getting short of the sticks

Williams-DB play is horrific at best

Booker-Why do we even have safeties

Parella-He's a Husker, but the DL struggles (more scheme IMHO)

Bray-LB's injured all season.  Did more with guys last year.  Can see why Bando and Rose-Ivey started

Cav-Please.  Should have been left in the unemployment line in Oregon

Davis-I have never liked.  Still don't....(3 years with no 1000 yard rusher)  Possibly the longest drought in Husker history..

The bottom line, regardless of scheme are any of our guys that good at that spot?  DB's or safeties?  Which ones would start at another school?  Receivers-living up to the stars, but still too many drops (Morgan 2 tonight that would have got him 1000 yards, not running to the sticks...)

Bottom line is our staff is a composite of the HC.  No accountability. Not masters of their craft.  Too many mistakes, lack of fundamentals and the basics.....It is almost as if mediocrity is the accepted level of performance....

Edited by lo country
  • Plus1 1

1 minute ago, FlipPhone said:

Only gave up 42, and to a high powered offense -- massive improvement over giving up 50+ to the bottom dwellers.  

What I'm hearing is, "Our defense is terrible, we should upgrade to a frighteningly inconsistent DC. The fans of the undefeated team he coaches for should be happy about the results, but instead are wondering how much better they could be without him."

I get that your DC is terrible, but less terrible should not be the goal.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I see there is a lot less interest in Chinan(d)er after the War on I4.

Good decision.

Flowers went off.  Hard to stop a guy like that with a 3-4 and no spy. DB's have their back to the QB against the spread, LB's in coverage.  Usually rushing 3, maybe 4 against 5, any crease in the LOS, a guy like Flowers is gone.  Would love to have a guy of his caliber at NU if we ran a spread option O, throw in some RPO and he'd be lethal....\

I'm not a fan of the 3-4 unless you have real horses up front.  Especially against aspired team, their formations pull the LB's out of the box and usually have less hats on hats.... 

2 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

What I'm hearing is, "Our defense is terrible, we should upgrade to a frighteningly inconsistent DC. The fans of the undefeated team he coaches for should be happy about the results, but instead are wondering how much better they could be without him."

I get that your DC is terrible, but less terrible should not be the goal.

I agree.  In the B1G we need a D who can stuff the run.  I just don't think you can look at Wisky or Bama and say they run a 3-4 so we will to.  Ours looks nothing like that.  From the scheme, implementation or athletes.  Same with our pass D under Banker (quarters coverage).  our was horrible.  Narduzzi at Michigan State was quarters, but very aggressive  Played a lot of press coverage...

I'd like a 4-3 over like Clemson runs.  DE set the edge and get up field.  NT and T plug gaps and 3 LB's fill gap in run support.  It's aggressive and effective.  They'll drop a tackle out and go 3 man from in passing downs....Does well against spread and against a team determined to run between the tackles.  Can be exposed on broken plays with single coverage, but the aggressive front play makes it hard to get comfortable.....Yes, I'd take Venables....

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Flowers went off.  Hard to stop a guy like that with a 3-4 and no spy. DB's have their back to the QB against the spread, LB's in coverage.  Usually rushing 3, maybe 4 against 5, any crease in the LOS, a guy like Flowers is gone.  Would love to have a guy of his caliber at NU if we ran a spread option O, throw in some RPO and he'd be lethal....\

I'm not a fan of the 3-4 unless you have real horses up front.  Especially against aspired team, their formations pull the LB's out of the box and usually have less hats on hats.... 

Yes, Flowers went off. But you know who was able to hold him and USF in check better than us? Cincinnati, Tulane, Houston, UConn, Tulsa, and, wait for it, STONYBROOK.

We did just as well as Temple and San Jose State, so there's that consolation. 

Yes, they it was a rivalry game, so it was different circumstances, but I know the horses we have on this team, they are capable of far more. I don't know a single UCF fan that disagrees with me. 

1 minute ago, ATS Knight said:

Yes, Flowers went off. But you know who was able to hold him and USF in check better than us? Cincinnati, Tulane, Houston, UConn, Tulsa, and, wait for it, STONYBROOK.

We did just as well as Temple and San Jose State, so there's that consolation. 

Yes, they it was a rivalry game, so it was different circumstances, but I know the horses we have on this team, they are capable of far more. I don't know a single UCF fan that disagrees with me. 

I feel you.  Look at Purdue.  We barely beat them and they beat Iowa who destroyed us.....

Y'all are undefeated. First time a team has never won a game to being undefeated in year 2.  That's no small feat. Enjoy.  But like all fans, y'all want more.....

I follow Clemson as my other team and look at them losing to Syracuse......

I just don't like the 3-4.  Thats just me.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I feel you.  Look at Purdue.  We barely beat them and they beat Iowa who destroyed us.....

Y'all are undefeated. First time a team has never won a game to being undefeated in year 2.  That's no small feat. Enjoy.  But like all fans, y'all want more.....

I follow Clemson as my other team and look at them losing to Syracuse......

I just don't like the 3-4.  Thats just me.

Yeah, sorry. This is kind of me eating in front of the starving. But it feels like sometimes y'all forget who you are. 

I wasn't born a UCF fan, I was raised a Gator fan. And all I knew about the Cornhuskers was that they were the team that humiliated the Gators in the Fiesta bowl and were to be feared. 

So don't pine after the scraps from anyone's table (especially a G5) or anyone that is better than terrible. You were a program that terrorized other teams for a long time. How many other programs have that kind of history. 

The potential is still there. The history never goes away. It might feel like a window is closing, but all you have to do is find the right guys and the "Nebraska is Back" narrative will come whenever you're ready. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I just think the team needs a clean break from the entire Riley era. It’s been that bad!!!  The new coach can come in with his guys, and tell the players “you are either with us, or you can leave”. That would be better for the program in the long-run if the right head coach is hired. 

Absolutely agree with this.  You are on this team great.  You choose to quit, you will sit.  It's simple as that guys....

7 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Yeah, sorry. This is kind of me eating in front of the starving. But it feels like sometimes y'all forget who you are. 

I wasn't born a UCF fan, I was raised a Gator fan. And all I knew about the Cornhuskers was that they were the team that humiliated the Gators in the Fiesta bowl and were to be feared. 

So don't pine after the scraps from anyone's table (especially a G5) or anyone that is better than terrible. You were a program that terrorized other teams for a long time. How many other programs have that kind of history. 

The potential is still there. The history never goes away. It might feel like a window is closing, but all you have to do is find the right guys and the "Nebraska is Back" narrative will come whenever you're ready. 

Very true. I have been a fan of NU for a long time.  I'm not one of those guys who believes are best days are behind us.  I remember when TO went 8 straight bowl losses, couldnt beat OU and their damn Sooner magic....(Many wanted TO forced during this tome period, talk about eating in front of the starving) I can't stand Penn St from their "L" shaped end zone, I can go one and on. 

We just need to get the right coach. The right coach can get the right staff together.  I'd love Frost. Knows the culture and more than any other player or fan knows the highs and lows of NU.....I definitely don't want to get a guy "who sucks less".  Because sucking is sucking.  One is either good or they are bad....

Edited by lo country
  • Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, lo country said:

Dub-12 games of receivers getting short of the sticks

This drives me absolutely crazy. We consistently run routes a yard short of the line to gain and third down (and 3 yards short on fourth down today), and we've done it all season - that's on the coaches and specifically Keith Williams.