Could Nebraska Fan protests have stopped the riley hire?

BoSolich

9 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

On second thought, I think we should have done the protest thing.  It's definitely worked in Tennessee's favor.  Also think we should have fired Riley a month before it happened.  That, too, worked in teams' favor.

</sarcasm>

Jokes aside, we won't know how this will turn out for Tennessee for a bit. Sure, this currently smells of Callahan 2.0, but it's still possible they wind up with a coach that does right their ship. 

If Tennessee does come out looking good, is this a way going forward? Fans across the country are tired of the high prices and feeling they aren't getting the product that price deserves. Even small schools are very quick to fire these days. Is this an avenue for fans to let their thoughts be heard.

It's an interesting social experiment. 

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Jokes aside, we won't know how this will turn out for Tennessee for a bit. Sure, this currently smells of Callahan 2.0, but it's still possible they wind up with a coach that does right their ship. 

If Tennessee does come out looking good, is this a way going forward? Fans across the country are tired of the high prices and feeling they aren't getting the product that price deserves. Even small schools are very quick to fire these days. Is this an avenue for fans to let their thoughts be heard.

I hope we never get to that stage at Nebraska.  Let the experiment happen elsewhere.  For the record, other than this site, I participate in no other types of social media, exactly because of this kind of crap.

29 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't know about most people, but some certainly did. Others hoped that his reputation for doing more with less would translate to success at NU. It just didn't work out.

Protesting wouldn't have worked and rightfully so.

When the protest includes associations w, uh, pedophilia/teen rape, works EVERY time...

Edited by Big Red Commie

1 hour ago, brophog said:

As coaching salaries go higher I wonder how much that drives fan dissatisfaction. Coaches call this the silly season but I doubt they would advocate lower salaries if it was shown to temper expectations.

I pretty much knew back in the day when Saban got to 4 million (about 10 years ago) that we were going to see some seriously hefty inflation coming with respect to coaching salaries.  It's really out of control, if you ask me.  That said, I'm not going to scoff in the slightest at what SF is going to make here, but he better well earn it (I think he will).

Edited by Dilly Dilly
Spelling issues
2 hours ago, brophog said:

Speaking of  Florida and we weren't but Tenn reminded me of this question - is the Florida conclusion as much of a dumpster fire as Tenn?  I don't think Mullen is the home run hit that Florida fans were looking for - he was at least UF's 3rd pick.  So has that crowd settled down or are they OK wt the hire?

33 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Speaking of  Florida and we weren't but Tenn reminded me of this question - is the Florida conclusion as much of a dumpster fire as Tenn?  I don't think Mullen is the home run hit that Florida fans were looking for - he was at least UF's 3rd pick.  So has that crowd settled down or are they OK wt the hire?

I'm not even sure he was their 3rd pick -- I thought i saw somewhere that they also offered Mike Gundy (but who knows if that was really true).  But, kudo's for landing Mullen - I think he is a solid coach, and it certainly was a good move to get ahead of the rest of the dominoes.

15 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm not even sure he was their 3rd pick -- I thought i saw somewhere that they also offered Mike Gundy (but who knows if that was really true).  But, kudo's for landing Mullen - I think he is a solid coach, and it certainly was a good move to get ahead of the rest of the dominoes.

Never heard a Gundy to Florida rumor, that was Tennessee. It's generally believed Florida wanted Frost/Kelly.....Mullen. As to how it's being accepted, they seem to be going through the usual stages of new coach acceptance. There is certainly enough sides to Kelly and Mullen to script that narrative however one wants.

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Never heard a Gundy to Florida rumor, that was Tennessee. It's generally believed Florida wanted Frost/Kelly.....Mullen. As to how it's being accepted, they seem to be going through the usual stages of new coach acceptance. There is certainly enough sides to Kelly and Mullen to script that narrative however one wants.

I knew about Tennessee, but there is more than one article I saw about Florida offering, too.

Here's just one of them.

Edited by Dilly Dilly
Grammar police