Big ten verse Everyone else...?

1sr thing, I’m still confounded how to change my handle..I’m NOT depressed anymore..

anyway, I foresee Alabama holding up that dang trophy....again..argh....!

i know this not pure Husker post, however I just felt compelled to discuss and share my observations as the CFB comes to a end..

My first observation, and of course this can’t be proven, it’s subjective, I know that..however IMO The Big 10 is the best and most physical conference in the Land..

Im persuaded, fully, that Ohio state is the only team that could/would whip Alabama...they got snubbed, amd its upsetting, as Georgia is not even close to knocking out the heavyweight in Alabama...? Why..? One word, Lineman.. Typical with Mr Meyer and his approach to football, he devotes the most attention in the recruiting and development of lineman..I said it since the third week of the season..that I don’t care how many times a anomaly happened and Ohio state may lose X amount of games...they would be still THE only team who could and make Alabama work for that trophy...

It’s so frustrating not having the best opponent to face Alabama this year...

Nope. Ohio State would not beat Alabama. I don't think Ohio State is as talented as they were last year and we saw that result. J.T. Barrett seemed to regress over the last two seasons and I think even Ohio State fans would admit that. He's a fantastic player, don't get me wrong, but I am not quite sure he's the same championship-caliber QB we saw years ago. Ohio State didn't get snubbed either, you lose by 35 to a 7-5 Iowa team and that pretty much closes the books on any chances of making it.

Also, the B1G bowl record should not be a rallying cry for husker fans. The team didn't participate, it's a very SEC thing to do.

4 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Nope. Ohio State would not beat Alabama. I don't think Ohio State is as talented as they were last year and we saw that result. J.T. Barrett seemed to regress over the last two seasons and I think even Ohio State fans would admit that. He's a fantastic player, don't get me wrong, but I am not quite sure he's the same championship-caliber QB we saw years ago. Ohio State didn't get snubbed either, you lose by 35 to a 7-5 Iowa team and that pretty much closes the books on any chances of making it.

Also, the B1G bowl record should not be a rallying cry for husker fans. The team didn't participate, it's a very SEC thing to do.

Well sir, we agree to disagree..I don’t presume judgment about a whole football program by one game, as you did by referencing Iowa...I look at the whole body of work by the team...since you using a one game assessment of program, I suppose I’ll go there..the team that whipped USC a few days ago..is the team that would Alabama give them all they could handle..

There's a good discussion going on about the CFP in the 'Other Sports' forum. I'll share similar thoughts to what I said there.

Ultimately, I prefer what we're getting right now vs. what we would've had under the previous system. Clemson and Oklahoma would have likely played in the BCS NC. We now know the two teams ranked below them could (and did) beat them. That said, this still isn't an ideal system and needs some work.

6 minutes ago, Depressed Husker said:

Well sir, we agree to disagree..I don’t presume judgment about a whole football program by one game, as you did by referencing Iowa...I look at the whole body of work by the team...since you using a one game assessment of program, I suppose I’ll go there..the team that whipped USC a few days ago..is the team that would Alabama give them all they could handle..

The 35 point loss is a piece of the entire body of work, as is the loss to Oklahoma.

I didn't just use the one loss as the only assessment of the program either, I stated why I didn't think that OSU would beat Alabama. They aren't as talented/dominant as year's past. I used the blow-out loss as a source of why I believe they shouldn't have been in. No need to get defensive, which is indicated by the "..." multiple times throughout your response. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make either person more right or wrong. It is a message board, where people get to share their opinions. 

Edited by HuskerNBigD
8 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I respectfully disagree!  We are part of that conference win or lose.  To have a strong conference makes us look good.  I imagine when Scott gets NU up and running that other schools in our conference are sure going to root for us when we're playing some SEC team.  We may not like the other teams in our conference.  I'll admit that up front.  But when they are playing other folks NOT from our conference I will root for them.  7-1!  That's the best we've done in a long time!!  I remember when the B1G looked lousy a couple of years ago and people on this board were lamenting on how bad OUR conference was.  They laid claims to it then why not now when we are winning?  I do have a question: You're the second person that said 'it's a very SEC thing to do' to root for the teams within your conference.  Where is that coming from?  I had never heard of that before.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I respectfully disagree!  We are part of that conference win or lose.  To have a strong conference makes us look good.  I imagine when Scott gets NU up and running that other schools in our conference are sure going to root for us when we're playing some SEC team.  We may not like the other teams in our conference.  I'll admit that up front.  But when they are playing other folks NOT from our conference I will root for them.  7-1!  That's the best we've done in a long time!!  I remember when the B1G looked lousy a couple of years ago and people on this board were lamenting on how bad OUR conference was.  They laid claims to it then why not now when we are winning?  I do have a question: You're the second person that said 'it's a very SEC thing to do' to root for the teams within your conference.  Where is that coming from?  I had never heard of that before.  Thanks!

That's completely fine, we are all open to our own opinions. I just can't get behind having to root for other teams. If Nebraska is undefeated and/or playing in a bowl game, sure I want the B1G to kick some tail, because it makes a 7-1 bowl record that much better knowing that we beat the other teams. But when we're 4-8 and sitting at home, only beating 1 of the B1G bowl teams, I couldn't care less.

The SEC stuff is pretty common knowledge. Go look at SECRant and you'll see fans from Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee getting off to the fact that UGA and Bama won. Look at Finebaum's twitter account, it is the same thing. It is part of the reason that the nation hates the SEC. The bottom dwellers puff out their chest when the big boys win (and that is what is happening on this board through the bowl season) and claim conference dominance. Vandy should not be able to celebrate or boast about Bama's win and we shouldn't be doing that for Ohio State wins. 

Oh, ok. I get it. I wasn’t thinking of that when I suggested we support our conference. For me it’s like you support the teams in your conference when they play teams not in your conference. I dislike the SEC very much and I dislike Ohio St., Michigan and Iowa very much. But I will root for the B1G team any day against an SEC team (or Notre Dame which I dislike very much). Now I out and out hate Texas. I will never root for them.  Anyway, I get where you’re coming from. Lol. I wasn’t anywhere near that idea. Funny. I love this board. 

7 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Oh, ok. I get it. I wasn’t thinking of that when I suggested we support our conference. For me it’s like you support the teams in your conference when they play teams not in your conference. I dislike the SEC very much and I dislike Ohio St., Michigan and Iowa very much. But I will root for the B1G team any day against an SEC team (or Notre Dame which I dislike very much). Now I out and out hate Texas. I will never root for them.  Anyway, I get where you’re coming from. Lol. I wasn’t anywhere near that idea. Funny. I love this board. 

No worries at all, I'm just being bitter because we had a 4-8 season and misery loves company.

1 hour ago, ladyhawke said:

The winner of a P5 conference that goes 7-1 in bowl games gets snubbed from the playoffs while the sec conference runner up, that beat ababama, gets whipped by a non-P5 team. And the sec gets 50% of the teams in the playoffs. That is a load of crap!

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

There's a good discussion going on about the CFP in the 'Other Sports' forum. I'll share similar thoughts to what I said there.

Ultimately, I prefer what we're getting right now vs. what we would've had under the previous system. Clemson and Oklahoma would have likely played in the BCS NC. We now know the two teams ranked below them could (and did) beat them. That said, this still isn't an ideal system and needs some work.

Nah...the new system gives teams more chances to slip up. I hate the thought of a team that couldn't even win it's own division let alone the conference,  being called the best. You have to take the body of work into account and not just "team x looks the best on paper." Why have a committee voting...it's popular vote now. Might as well let the fans decide, I see little difference.  

OU and Georgia play 10 games, they probably split em. Point is Bama didn't do what the committee said was important. So we now know the committee simply plays favorites. Might as well be honest with us...the committee looks at tv rating potential, their preconceived bias...same bias we built the committee to get away from (preseason polls anyone)...and past history. What Bama did last year or the last 10 should have no weight on this year's choice yet it did. The new system changed nothing. We had Bama getting repeat chances before the playoff and here we are again.

Only way to take the bias out is do like the nfl and create rules. Undefeated teams in first, power conference one loss next or conference champs or whatever but pick a system and take out the human element. If not, then call it like it is. A popularity and money contest. 

Edited by irafreak