Big ten verse Everyone else...?

If they aren't going to let undefeated G5 schools into the championship, they should split them off into another Division.  Any team that has no chance of winning the national championship due to conference affiliation is not and should not be considered Division 1.  They don't keep basketball teams out of the NCAA tournament just because they're a small school from a small conference.  If teams have no chance at winning a championship they are de-facto in another Division and should be given their own championship to strive for while D1 teams should not be allowed to schedule them. 

Bulk up the remaining conferences, play only conference games or 1-2 games against other actual D1 schools, and rotate out the lowest performing teams with the highest performing teams of the new D1-A conference over time.  If UCF wins and wins and wins each year, replace Kansas with UCF in the Big12 for football purposes.

Separate sports and divisions as needed, since soccer, basketball, football, track, swimming, bowling, etc have so little in common.

There are not 120+ teams in Division 1 if only P5 schools have a shot at a title.  Playing D1 caliber schools, playing conference games, playing for conference championships should mean something.  Otherwise, the B1G should drop it's title game to help it's chances of getting 2 undefeated teams into the playoff.

A team that goes 13-0 while beating the SEC conference championship runner up should not be called a Division 1 school if they have no legitimate shot at the title.  To do so is pretending they're Division 1 to use lower tier teams to pad a schedule.  The formula should aggressively dock any P5 school's strength of schedule for scheduling a G5 school, just like they do with a D2 school.

Edited by InOmaha

20 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I think a lot of people would be well served to forget about this notion of a "best" team. There is no system or playoff structure that will insure that the absolute best team will end up on the top of the heap.

And this was my exact argument years ago when the playoff was implemented. The playoff is a preference...not a fair method cause there is none. But the playoff was supposed to better represent the best teams...or so the argument went. 

6 hours ago, HuskerInATL said:

The SEC is a very top heavy conference right now as compared to years past. Currently only Bama, UGA, and Auburn are worth a darn. In years past, you had LSU, Tenn, Florida as well. This may change with the recent coaching hires and they can go back to beating the heck out of each other. But the top 2 teams are extremely good. Oklahoma lost to UGA and OU beat the s#!t out of OSU so the argument that OSU would beat OU or UGA doesnt hold water.  I personally thought Clemson would handle Bama. 

I always hate this argument. No two teams are equal and play style makes a huge difference. Bo's defenses could lock up the passing teams but power running teams gave his defenses fits. To say osu wouldn't stand a chance against Bama cause Georgia beat the team that beat them is an incomplete argument. Ou plays pass and high score. Compare that to more balanced offenses. Osu may fare better...plus an early season loss does not equal late season...why did auburn whip Georgia early then get whipped late by georgia? 

1 hour ago, irafreak said:

Not if you set ground rules across the board. The conferences adapt to the rules then. It's not difficult to say only one team gets in per conference. Each conference already sets up rules for their title game matchups.  Does this mean that sometimes you don't get the four best teams...yep...but there is NO way to prevent that. This method at least allows smaller conferences an opportunity and holds a standard. There is no standard right now. 

And the argument about scheduling doesn't hold water. Remember how big the Oregon games looked when they were scheduled? You can't accurately predict strength of schedule with so many teams...yet we keep trying to apply it. Throw it out. By allowing smaller schools to get in, yes you open the door for super teams like Boise that feed on the weak but eventually the talent would spread out more as athletes begin to realize you don't have to be in the sec to get the best shot at winning a title. 

The system is beyond broken. Why do we keep defending it?

Who is going to set those ground rules? The CFP isn't even an officially sanctioned NCAA championship event. It's almost entirely a money grab that benefits Power 5 conferences. It's the only division one sport that operates in this fashion. The conferences hold an incredible amount of power and, so long as they're making money with that power, they're not going to be incentivized to support change.

To be clear, I'm on board with your message. I think the current system has flaws (even though it's still better than the BCS, imo). There should be a more fair system in place. However, it's unlikely to work in a way that sets universal ground rules across the entire sport. Power 5 schools dominate all the major sports in terms of revenue, attendance, championships, etc. The NCAA also benefits from the symbiosis.

The only way to set clear ground rules would be to remove every non-Power 5 football program from division one status. You can set ground rules across the Power 5. I don't think there's a way to do it across all 130 major division one football programs. There's just too much systemic parity and too many stakeholders.

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I have a problem with the bolded.  Ohio State didn't get any more snubbed this year than Penn State did last year.  Unless you were up in arms last year when Penn State didn't get in when Ohio State did, then how can you argue Ohio State got snubbed this year?  The playoff committee thus far has held pretty close to just one rule:  no team gets into the playoff if they've lost more than one game.  The playoff committee has made it abundantly clear that conference championships mean next to nothing to them.  The only B1G team that fits the playoff committee's criteria is Wisconsin.  It really came down to the fourth spot being occupied by either Alabama or Wisconsin.   

...after reading my post again where you pointed out..I agree with you, the use of “snubbed”wasn’t the best or right word for the premise that was in my head..my main opinion I was attempting to communicate is that I thought that at this current moment in Time and the level Ohio State reaches, as shown against USC and other flashes of their horsepower through the season,  I thought they were the team to give Nama the best challenge..in large part, because of those NFL practice squad D Lineman Mr Meyers produces..

8 team playoff would solve these most “what if’s”...and controversy..let it be settled on field..dang virtually every college sport, has a more robust end of season system that provides good resolution to their respective sports..

...I know the committee decided the two best teams happened to be from same conference...however it still bugs the crap out of me the championship is in same conference...

What happens if another SEC team gets better in the other side of the conference and they end up putting a 1 loss Florida AND Alabama, that didn't win their division, into the playoffs with the winner of the SEC championship game?  Will the CFP end up being 3 SEC teams and some random at large bid from the left over 4 conferences?

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, irafreak said:

I always hate this argument. No two teams are equal and play style makes a huge difference. Bo's defenses could lock up the passing teams but power running teams gave his defenses fits. To say osu wouldn't stand a chance against Bama cause Georgia beat the team that beat them is an incomplete argument. Ou plays pass and high score. Compare that to more balanced offenses. Osu may fare better...plus an early season loss does not equal late season...why did auburn whip Georgia early then get whipped late by georgia? 

If you want to compare loses, we can look to Iowa, who ROFLstomped OSU late season. UGA would hang 70 on Iowa and not even break a sweat. Auburn has one of the best D lines in the country but the entire team got hit with the flu before the Peach Bowl, which has an effect.  And while UGA lost to them late season, something you seem to not realize, they avenged that loss convincingly in the SEC championship. Like it or not, the 2 best teams in the country are currently playing for the Ship. 

The main reason for UGA’s trouble from a defensive standpoint with OU is that they were playing the best QB in College Football, period. JT Barrett isnt even close to Mayfield and UGA’s running backs, which go 5 deep, are like nothing OSU has ever seen. 

Also, dont take this as an endorsement that I like either team. Most Bama fans are uneducated rednecks who didnt even attend the school while UGA fans just think they have had relevance for the past 37 yrs that was somehow overlooked. I dislike both teams rather strongly 

Edited by HuskerInATL
  • Plus1 2
On 1/2/2018 at 3:02 PM, ladyhawke said:

I totally agree with you. (Did you think I didn't?). It IS. A load of crap. That was my point.  I will never root for an SEC team especially if they play against a B1G team. 

I will root for the teams in the B1G against teams outside of our conference.  

I was agreeing with you and providing some embellishment.

8 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I have a problem with the bolded.  Ohio State didn't get any more snubbed this year than Penn State did last year.  Unless you were up in arms last year when Penn State didn't get in when Ohio State did, then how can you argue Ohio State got snubbed this year?  The playoff committee thus far has held pretty close to just one rule:  no team gets into the playoff if they've lost more than one game.  The playoff committee has made it abundantly clear that conference championships mean next to nothing to them.  The only B1G team that fits the playoff committee's criteria is Wisconsin.  It really came down to the fourth spot being occupied by either Alabama or Wisconsin.   

I was up in arms last year. Penn State won the conference. OSU had no business in the playoffs. By the way, I remember LSU with the D coached by BP making the MNC game with two losses. One of the reason we need rules and no committee is because committees do stupid things like ignoring conference champions and favoring teams from a conference that sells its TV rights to espn.

Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I was agreeing with you and providing some embellishment.

I thought so.  My husband said that right now I am running on emotion and little logic so I just wanted to make sure! lol  I'm just so mad about the fact that a 3 loss Auburn could be ranked ahead of a 12-0 UCF. 

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

After getting a spanking from UCF!

Amen!!!  THAT is what really burns me up.  What also fries me is that the committee claims they have respected UCF.  Are you kidding me??  They threw them a chewed on bone in my opinion.  What are they afraid of?  Why couldn't UCF play Oklahoma or Georgia or even Clemson and Alabama?  Because they might beat them! That's what I think.  I'm sure it was embarrassing enough for Auburn to get spanked by a G5 team but what if they had done that to one of the top 4 teams!  I think UCF could've held their own with any of those teams.  I can't wait until this fall.  It will be so fun to watch Frost & Co. build up Nebraska again and THEN we can go to Alabama and kick some SEC backside!!!

• Plus1 1

Besides UCF, who had a better case for the playoff than Alabama though? OSU lost any chance they had when they lost to Iowa. Wisconsin is really the only P5 team that had any chance to be in the other spot but they didn't win their conference either. UCF deserves a chance at the title, but there is no way they were getting into the playoff. 6 or 8 team playoff is the only way outside of maybe going undefeated back to back seasons and beating 2 P5 teams in a season (preferreably ranked)

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, HuskerInATL said:

If you want to compare loses, we can look to Iowa, who ROFLstomped OSU late season. UGA would hang 70 on Iowa and not even break a sweat. Auburn has one of the best D lines in the country but the entire team got hit with the flu before the Peach Bowl, which has an effect.  And while UGA lost to them late season, something you seem to not realize, they avenged that loss convincingly in the SEC championship. Like it or not, the 2 best teams in the country are currently playing for the Ship. 

The main reason for UGA’s trouble from a defensive standpoint with OU is that they were playing the best QB in College Football, period. JT Barrett isnt even close to Mayfield and UGA’s running backs, which go 5 deep, are like nothing OSU has ever seen. 

Also, dont take this as an endorsement that I like either team. Most Bama fans are uneducated rednecks who didnt even attend the school while UGA fans just think they have had relevance for the past 37 yrs that was somehow overlooked. I dislike both teams rather strongly 

Well said, except some here will say you can’t judge a program by a loss. :dunno

Barrett has regressed since his freshman campaign and Ohio state would not be competitive with Bama.