Healthcare Reform

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Nice! Hopefully that's being translated into actual price cuts and not just the insurance company raising rates or denying coverage for others.

One thing Trump has done that I'm in agreement with is making healthcare costs transparent.

Trump Wants Insurers and Hospitals To Show Real Prices To Patients

Nobody is denied coverage.  If someone needs an MRI, they will price it at a number of hospitals.  It's literally amazing.  Sometimes something like this will be $10,000 at one hospital and $500 at another one somewhere.  Maybe the employee will need to drive farther.  But, he/she pays nothing in co pays or deductibles.  They also provide information on quality of care for the procedure too.  So, the employee isn't going to some cheap place and getting crappy care.

The employee doesn't have to go to the cheaper place.  But, it saves them a lot of money if they do.

I also have an employee that is on a special medication for the rest of his life.  They were billing us around $30,000 per month.  This service got the drug company to provide it free.

But.....according to the posted article above, that would be horrible because my insurance company is pushing back.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody is denied coverage.  If someone needs an MRI, they will price it at a number of hospitals.  It's literally amazing.  Sometimes something like this will be $10,000 at one hospital and $500 at another one somewhere.  Maybe the employee will need to drive farther.  But, he/she pays nothing in co pays or deductibles.  They also provide information on quality of care for the procedure too.  So, the employee isn't going to some cheap place and getting crappy care.

The employee doesn't have to go to the cheaper place.  But, it saves them a lot of money if they do.

I also have an employee that is on a special medication for the rest of his life.  They were billing us around $30,000 per month.  This service got the drug company to provide it free.

But.....according to the posted article above, that would be horrible because my insurance company is pushing back.

I meant if the insurance company raises rates or denies coverage to people who don't have that service.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I meant if the insurance company raises rates or denies coverage to people who don't have that service.

Well...I have no idea.  My insurance company is the one that suggested the service and works closely with them.  So, I would assume they aren't punishing other people because I'm using it.  The insurance company isn't making less money because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

There's something wrong with a healthcare system where I pay for the top level of dental insurance, but my wife's simple procedure on her tooth ends up costing me $3,000 out of pocket. That is frustrating as hell.

I honestly have never understood dental insurance.  You pay it, and it pays for your regular visits...etc.  But, if you really need something done, it doesn't cover it.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly have never understood dental insurance.  You pay it, and it pays for your regular visits...etc.  But, if you really need something done, it doesn't cover it.

No kidding!

Also...how nice would it be to walk into a dentist's office and actually see how much s#!t costs?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I had dental insurance that our premiums were $100 more expensive than the coverage limit. Saved me $100 to NOT have insurance whether we needed it or not. So dumb.

• 2 weeks later...