Healthcare Reform

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well, believe what ya want.  I have zero reason to make this s#!t up, but if you wanna believe the system works exactly like it should then by all means take that chart as gospel.

I told you earlier that it's not that i don't believe you.  I'm not seeing it with my own eyes.  But based off very real personal experience, I have never met or seen one person that is getting so rich off of government assistance that they can do what you are claiming.  

I believe you that they are gaming the system for what they are getting.  But I'd bet that they are doing something else to live their lifestyle.

12 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well, believe what ya want.  I have zero reason to make this s#!t up, but if you wanna believe the system works exactly like it should then by all means take that chart as gospel.

I don't believe anyone is saying you're making it up.  It just appears there very well may be something going on here you're not aware of.  Inheritance???  Insurance claim????  Debt building up????

I too have known a number of people who are on disability and they weren't living lavishly by any means.  

Now, they still could be gaming the system some way.  But, it's obviously not happening the way the system is supposed to work.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

The maxing out of credit cards, what little credit they can get, is obviously part of it.  But again, this assistance is based off of at least 5 years back pay.  So when the big lump comes in it's a lot of money, not the numbers on that chart.  And yeah, part of that money is deserved.  But years and years are not.  When he could have gone back to work but chose to become too large to work the money should have stopped rolling in.

So, what you are saying that you believe has happened is, they were disabled and got nothing for 5 years.  Then, they got the settlement and got a lump sum of 5 year's worth of pay.

So, according to the chart above, that would be $62,215.  Then, they are getting $1,036.92 per month after that....or....$12,443.04 per year.

I could see them taking the $62,000 and buying two new cars and having some left over.  No, I'm not saying that's what I would have done.  Maybe their house is paid off and somehow they are living off of the $12,443 per year.

None of this is saying if they should or shouldn't be back to work.  I'm assuming you are correct on that because I have nothing else to go on.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I believe you that they are gaming the system for what they are getting.  But I'd bet that they are doing something else to live their lifestyle.

Yeah - nobody believes that there aren't people out there abusing the intents of welfare programs. Obviously there are, and most of us know at least a few people doing that to some extent. But the numbers don't add up 

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

When he first got approved for disability the state of nebraska went back and paid from the time the case started..4 or 5 years ago. So his initial check was big..thousands of dollars. 

That sounds like an extraordinarily rare circumstance, like he was maybe rightfully owed for a long time (assuming he was disabled for years?), and like their reckless habits will bite them in the a$$ eventually.

Just now, Redux said:

They used the large lump sum and splurged it on nonsense.  Now, for the time being until another loophole can be taken advantage of,  they are struggling.  Don't try to be diffocult.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

Meanwhile, a girl she works with has a lazy fat a$$ of a husband who "can not work". They both receive enough government funding to buy new vehicles, new clothes all the time, eat out every day etc.

I'm not trying to be difficult.  I'm trying to understand a situation in which the parameters of funding are a bit clouded.

Okay, it it starting to come together now. It is a safe assumption that they are bad with money. Many people near or below the poverty line are bad with money. The social science of it is that they are so accustomed to living day to day that saving and planning ahead does not even enter their consciousness. So receiving a lump sum, without appropriate financial counseling, is going to result in exactly what you are seeing. 

In addition, if the disability is depression/anxiety/some other mental condition, perhaps you assume he can work, but that is a struggle too. Perhaps he would only be able to qualify for minimum wage jobs. Being out of the market so long, with apparently no financial skills and poor health, I would also guess his qualifications are not stellar. Given his mental condition, perhaps he cannot hold even menial jobs for very long. Getting motivated to apply for more minimum wage jobs that are not going to pay much more than your $1k/month disability check, only to go thru the process over and over, is tough. So he stays home, mismanages the little money that he does have, and sinks further into depression. I've seen it happen many times. Sometimes mental illness looks like laziness, but it is no less crippling than the more obvious physical disabilities. 

Should this guy be doing more? Absolutely. Does he need help beyond what he is already getting? Probably. Is life fair? No.  Is he gaming the system? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he just doesn't have any legitimate options. 

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Should this guy be doing more? Absolutely. Does he need help beyond what he is already getting? Probably. Is life fair? No.  Is he gaming the system? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he just doesn't have any legitimate options. 

The real question being asked by Redux is how is it fair or how can he be okay with his tax money going towards this guy not working when redux and his wife are working way harder and supposedly living in less leisure and comfort than deadbeat fatso and wife.