Parkland, FL High School Shooting

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

I think the worrying thing is that folks like Ric are not mentally unstable at all, and shouldn’t be regarded as such. These are normal, respectable people in our society who have wholly subscribed to a set of awful beliefs. Energetic activism is not a bad thing, but it can be deployed towards “protect the DREAMERs” as much as it can be towards “crush the libs, fight the GOP-fanned culture war.”

The culture war goes both ways buddy. Why do you think the liberal contingent here is so triggered by my presence and differing views? Because it makes it more difficult to castigate conservatives as unhinged nutjobs when you have one here debating.

Buddy! The one who has been triggered here is you. 

And yeah, of course, the culture wars are fought on each side. Some advocate for diversity and inclusion. Others are in the camp that ten years ago felt one of the most urgent threats society faced was the marriage of two people of the same sex, and today feel it's transgender people using bathrooms, and, apparently (?) sex ed that isn't abstinence-based. Among other things. These noxious ideas need to be fought.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Some do though. It stands to reason that if you tax income at a lower rate you increase the incentive (or decrease the disincentive) to generate more income. Lower rates also lead to more businesses choosing to do business here.

One thing I suppose you don't teach is economics; it turns out that fiscal policy requires better arguments than "it stands to reason". You've even somehow managed to peg Rand Paul (the 'libertarian', remember?) as other from the tax cut wing of the Republican Party. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yawn. So you try to ignore my point by dismissing my source as one you don't like. Then you assert I'm insane and suggest I need help...because I disagree with you. Predictable nonsense. 

So are Jesuits not allowed to have views now? 

LOL...thanks for continually proving my points correct. :lol:

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

One thing I suppose you don't teach is economics; it turns out that fiscal policy requires better arguments than "it stands to reason". You've even somehow managed to peg Rand Paul (the 'libertarian', remember?) as other from the tax cut wing of the Republican Party. 

I'm familiar with the economic arguments.  I said some Republicans like Paul have been consistently critical of anything that increases the deficit. Other Republicans believe that tax cuts will pay for themselves by leading to increased economic activity and consequently, tax revenue. Do I need to help you out by using smaller words?

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Buddy! The one who has been triggered here is you. 

And yeah, of course, the culture wars are fought on each side. Some advocate for diversity and inclusion. Others are in the camp that ten years ago felt one of the most urgent threats society faced was the marriage of two people of the same sex, and today feel it's transgender people using bathrooms, and, apparently (?) sex ed that isn't abstinence-based. Among other things. These noxious ideas need to be fought.

Ten years ago virtually every Democrat, Obama and Clinton included, was opposed to gay marriage. 

So how do we know that transgender folks aren't simply mentally ill?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Other Republicans believe that tax cuts will pay for themselves by leading to increased economic activity and consequently, tax revenue.

Yes, it can stimulate increased consumer spending.

Reducing government spending on the seemingly gazillion social programs will help the federal balance sheet.

Probably the most business friendly accomplishments thus far are with deregulation.

It's funny that you're here trying to tell me in belittling terms how economics-literate you are when you don't seem to be aware of the (very prominent) opposing argument, expressed earlier by commando.

To your second, what on earth are you even trying to say? Less than ten years ago it was a costly political move to come out publicly in favor of same-sex marriage. It's not accurate to say "virtually" every Democrat didn't support it; in fact, it's completely ignorant of the long term advocacy that got us here. It's dishonest to make any sort of equivalency argument between the efforts of Democrats and those of Republicans, many of whom still are extremely against this, even though their presidential candidates are no longer running on amending the constitution to circumscribe it from the definition of marriage. (Y'all have upgraded to "Brown people are dangerous", so congratulations!) 

If trying to reshape society so that it doesn't view transgender people as mentally ill puts me in the culture war, then I'm glad to have signed up. If yours is the side that staunchly opposes civil liberties, then pretends that everyone was equally opposed to them back then even while continuing to oppose civil liberties, then maybe you're on the wrong one. Or the exact right one, that's up to you.