Driverless cars.

43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not anymore so than cars. But I get just as mad when bicyclists do it because they're making the rest look bad.

42 minutes ago, Landlord said:

As are 99% of drivers on a frequent basis.

But 99% of bicyclist have no regard for the laws of the road 99% of the time, so whatevs.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

But 99% of bicyclist have no regard for the laws of the road 99% of the time, so whatevs.

Bicyclists kind of have to do that to some extent, because it's the only way for vehicles to take them seriously.

Signed, someone who loathes bicyclists.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Bicyclists kind of have to do that to some extent, because it's the only way for vehicles to take them seriously.

Signed, someone who loathes bicyclists.

I disagree. 

As someone who bike's, but not in the street, I get frustrated with bikers using the street when there is a well paved path. They are only going 15 to 20mph in a 45mph road. Frequently they don't signal lane changes and turns, and they annoy me equally as much as drivers not signalling. I'm just messing around with the previous comments though it if wasn't clear.

Police released the onboard video from the vehicle.... The video stops before impact, but I would advise not to watch, because it's disturbing. The cyclist crossed on foot in a dark area between lights, in a black top and jeans (possibly no reflectors on the bike). It's a graining video (human eyes would be able to see farther), but she isn't visible until the headlight beams illuninate her, and then it was almost too late. There was no attempt to avoid the collusion by the vehicle, but there was time for even a human to take evasive action. There is something wrong with the software or hardware systems on this car, I think we'll find out that there was fualty/incorrrect programming. The car should have swerved or slowed in some way.

Edited by ZRod

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

As someone who bike's, but not in the street, I get frustrated with bikers using the street when there is a well paved path. They are only going 15 to 20mph in a 45mph road. Frequently they don't signal lane changes and turns, and they annoy me equally as much as drivers not signalling. I'm just messing around with the previous comments though it if wasn't clear.

Ah, I see. I was referring more to bikers in dense urban areas where you're not allowed to bike anywhere other than the street in many parts of the city. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've been trying to move away from CNN's website (it's clear they just go for attention grabbers, and they have some ridiculous ads, and links to bleacherreport) and read more NYT but that means I reach my limit within the 1st week of each month. Might have to give in and get a subscription.

Edited by Moiraine
7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Interesting. More evidence that a testing/certification standard needs to be set, but in these cases there was a human safety driver, so I'd think if the autonomous vehicle is at fault then that person would be at fault.

In the video they clearly we're not paying attention to the road...

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

In the video they clearly we're not paying attention to the road...

I just watched it. The pedestrian is jaywalking on a 45mph street and her bike has no reflectors (or lights) and is wearing a dark or black sweater. I'm not sure what would happen if the car had a driver. Would the driver get blamed for it?

You can see the pedestrian's feet (nothing else) at the 8 sec mark and she's hit at the 9.5 sec mark. I have no idea what a normal reaction time is. I suppose a driver could have swerved at least. Not sure on that though. It's easy to think there's plenty of time when you're watching what happened.

Edited by Moiraine
22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I just watched it. The pedestrian is jaywalking on a 45mph street and her bike has no reflectors (or lights) and is wearing a dark or black sweater. I'm not sure what would happen if the car had a driver. Would the driver get blamed for it?

You can see the pedestrian's feet (nothing else) at the 8 sec mark and she's hit at the 9.5 sec mark. I have no idea what a normal reaction time is. I suppose a driver could have swerved at least. Not sure on that though. It's easy to think there's plenty of time when you're watching what happened.

Reaction time is about 0.3 seconds ( I think Muhammad Ali was recorded with one of the fastest ever at 0.15 seconds). Then you have to execute the movement, and the vehicle has to respond.

The video is very grainy, human eyes probably would see further, and maybe could avoid the accident. Maybe. An autonomous vehicle should have had some reaction though.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Reaction time is about 0.3 seconds ( I think Muhammad Ali was recorded with one of the fastest ever at 0.15 seconds). Then you have to execute the movement, and the vehicle has to respond.

The video is very grainy, human eyes probably would see further, and maybe could avoid the accident. Maybe. An autonomous vehicle should have had some reaction though.

Good point