Driverless cars.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

From the article

The company said in a statement posted on its website that the driver in the crash last week had “about five seconds and 150 meters of unobstructed view” before he crashed into a median barrier, adding that “the vehicle logs show that no action was taken.” The driver, Wei Huang, had been given “several visual and one audible hands-on warning earlier in the drive,” Tesla said.

Still, Tesla defended its Autopilot hardware. In its statement, the company said there was one automotive fatality for every 86 million miles across all vehicles in the United States, compared with one fatality for every 320 million miles in vehicles equipped with Autopilot.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Driving is the single most dangerous thing most people will do in their lives. It's just so common that we don't pay attention to how dangerous it is.

If you go to the site, the popup message drives at what you're saying.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Driving is the single most dangerous thing most people will do in their lives. It's just so common that we don't pay attention to how dangerous it is.

And yet the vast majority of us go through life without having a problem doing it.

And, that comment is pretty misleading.

These statistics are from 2015 which actually saw a spike up in auto accident deaths.  On this list, "accidents" are third on the list.  However, that includes ALL types of accidents.  In 2015, we had around 38,000 auto accident deaths.

So, auto accident deaths are pretty low on the list.  In fact, I would say eating American's daily diet is possibly more dangerous for the average American.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

• Heart disease: 633,842
    • Cancer: 595,930
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
    • Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
    • Diabetes: 79,535
    • Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

•  
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And yet the vast majority of us go through life without having a problem doing it.

And, that comment is pretty misleading.

These statistics are from 2015 which actually saw a spike up in auto accident deaths.  On this list, "accidents" are third on the list.  However, that includes ALL types of accidents.  In 2015, we had around 19,000 auto accident deaths.

So, auto accident deaths are pretty low on the list.  In fact, I would say eating American's daily diet is possibly more dangerous for the average American.

•  

Just because there are other more dangerous things doesn't mean driving isn't dangerous. In fact, being in the top 3 most dangerous per that list means it's more dangerous than I thought it was.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Just because there are other more dangerous things doesn't mean driving isn't dangerous. In fact, being in the top 3 most dangerous per that list means it's more dangerous than I thought it was.

Auto accidents is NOT in the top 3 of causes of deaths.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Auto accidents is NOT in the top 3 of causes of deaths.

Sorry, I misread "accidents" as meaning "auto accidents" (and yes, that's because I didn't read your post carefully).

But 38,000 deaths in a year is still a lot, and that's not counting non-death injuries.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Sorry, I misread "accidents" as meaning "auto accidents" (and yes, that's because I didn't read your post carefully).

But 38,000 deaths in a year is still a lot, and that's not counting non-death injuries.

My post was based on Knapp claiming driving is "the most dangerous thing most people will do".  I disagree with that and pointed out eating the American diet is more dangerous to more people.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

My post was based on Knapp claiming driving is "the most dangerous thing most people will do".  I disagree with that and pointed out eating the American diet is more dangerous to more people.

gotcha

I read the first line of your post and was responding to: "And yet the vast majority of us go through life without having a problem doing it."

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That isn't a list of activities, it's (mostly) a list of impairments.  You can't compare ailments with activities. People don't "do" cancer or a stroke.  People "do" driving. 

Comparing apples to apples:

MrXb654.jpg

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That isn't a list of activities, it's (mostly) a list of impairments.  You can't compare ailments with activities. People don't "do" cancer or a stroke.  People "do" driving. 

Comparing apples to apples:

I was going to post something similar, +1.

And another for good measure.  It's from 2010 but the stats haven't drastically changed since then.

The most dangerous activity: driving

Many Americans fear becoming a victim of crime, but statistics show we are far more likely to be seriously injured or killed in a vehicle accident than to be harmed at the hands of criminal attackers.

And yet today and tomorrow and the next day, parents will subject themselves and their children to its danger with little concern.

“People don’t generally think of driving as a risky task,” says Russ Rader, of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. “They think that crashes happen to other people, not themselves. There is a researcher who calls it the illusory zone of immunity — when we do things day after day that are routine, we don’t think of them as being particularly dangerous.

“But of course the statistics show that getting behind the wheel of a car is probably the riskiest thing any of us do on any given day.”

• Plus1 1