2018-2019 Season Notes

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see no reason to ridicule fans who support a hire.  We have no say in the matter, so why not support it and see where it goes.  There's about a 98% chance I'll have the same attitude with the next BB hire.

I support the Huskers even during Riley, I supported them and bet on them and thought they could win every game...but realistically I knew it was a horrible hire that would result in horrible results. 

You got kids that play sports?  If you do, I am sure there were games where you knew they were going to get their asses handed to them.  You still supported them but you also knew what the end result was going to be.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, teachercd said:

You are confusing support with being realistic.

I support the Huskers even during Riley, I supported them and bet on them and thought they could win every game...but realistically I knew it was a horrible hire that would result in horrible results. 

You got kids that play sports?  If you do, I am sure there were games where you knew they were going to get their asses handed to them.  You still supported them but you also knew what the end result was going to be.

I see no reason for a fan not to have unrealistic expectations.  It's fun.  I'm not the one making the hiring decisions.  I have no say in the matter.  Why do I need to be the one that is critical from the start of a hire?

I have three kids that all played sports in HS.  All three, at some point, had a coach that was bad.  That is a very very different situation that sitting here as a Husker fan 200 miles away.

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see no reason for a fan not to have unrealistic expectations.  It's fun.  I'm not the one making the hiring decisions.  I have no say in the matter.  Why do I need to be the one that is critical from the start of a hire?

I have three kids that all played sports in HS.  All three, at some point, had a coach that was bad.  That is a very very different situation that sitting here as a Husker fan 200 miles away.

So their coach sucked, you knew it, but you still supported them, right?

Of course we have unrealistic expectations, it is fun.  I am agreeing with everything you are saying it just boggles my mind that you can' also assume that one could support while at the same exact time know that it will be an epic failure.  That is "unrealistic expectations"

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So their coach sucked, you knew it, but you still supported them, right?

Of course we have unrealistic expectations, it is fun.  I am agreeing with everything you are saying it just boggles my mind that you can' also assume that one could support while at the same exact time know that it will be an epic failure.  That is "unrealistic expectations"

My comment was based on your previous post where you had an attitude of...."I'm so much smarter than those idiots".

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

The super dork crowd wanted Riley to be better but again, most of us knew.  Just like with Miles.  Dude is a .500 coach.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My comment was based on your previous post where you had an attitude of...."I'm so much smarter than those idiots".

No, we were all the same, none of us were actually excited about Riley, some of us pretended like we were but 100% of the fan base knew it was a lame hire.  

The super dorks knew it too but they just tried to justify the hire as some amazing find.  Doesn't make me smarter...makes me less dorky than the Riled-Up crowd.

Go back and look where you said your kids all had bad coaches, you knew it, everyone probably knew it.  It isn't about being smarter, it is about accepting the reality of the situation.  

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No, we were all the same, none of us were actually excited about Riley, some of us pretended like we were but 100% of the fan base knew it was a lame hire.  

The super dorks knew it too but they just tried to justify the hire as some amazing find.  

Go back and look where you said your kids all had bad coaches, you knew it, everyone probably knew it.  It isn't about being smarter, it is about accepting the reality of the situation.  

So, anyone who supported the program and the hire are dorks.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, anyone who supported the program and the hire are dorks.

Sort of but it seems like you still have a hard time understanding what I am saying.

1.  You support the team/program/players/coach 

2.  You still know that the team/program/players/coach might suck.

So you support the Riley hire BUT you know he is what he is, right?  Now, if you try convincing yourself and anyone that will listen that he is in fact an amazing hire, you are a dork.  Because you are kidding yourself.  

This isn't that hard to understand is it?

Trying to find evidence that made Riley look like a great hire would have been like buying a laserdisc player 4 years ago thinking that they were making a comeback.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Sort of but it seems like you still have a hard time understanding what I am saying.

1.  You support the team/program/players/coach 

2.  You still know that the team/program/players/coach might suck.

So you support the Riley hire BUT you know he is what he is, right?  Now, if you try convincing yourself and anyone that will listen that he is in fact an amazing hire, you are a dork.  Because you are kidding yourself.  

This isn't that hard to understand is it?

My HS kid's coach I knew sucked because they had proven it at our school with our kids (like Callahan, Bo, Riley and Miles have ultimately done).  I supported them when they were hired and didn't have preconceived ideas that they would suck.

You seem to think that anyone who doesn't believe a hire sucks from the beginning is an idiot.

Every coach we have had, I've supported right from the beginning without some know it all attitude that I knew this wasn't going to end well.  I supported Callahan at the beginning till he proved he wasn't going to get better.  I supported Bo right up till his last year.  I supported Riley until some time in his second year.  I supported Miles up until sometime in the last 12 months.

The difference between you and me is that your fun in sports seems to be making quick judgements on a coach from the beginning that they are going to suck.  My fun in sports is to not make those quick judgements, find reasons to justify that it might work and go forward with a positive attitude till it's proven to me that it's time to make a change.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My HS kid's coach I knew sucked because they had proven it at our school with our kids (like Callahan, Bo, Riley and Miles have ultimately done).  I supported them when they were hired and didn't have preconceived ideas that they would suck.

You seem to think that anyone who doesn't believe a hire sucks from the beginning is an idiot.

Every coach we have had, I've supported right from the beginning without some know it all attitude that I knew this wasn't going to end well.  I supported Callahan at the beginning till he proved he wasn't going to get better.  I supported Bo right up till his last year.  I supported Riley until some time in his second year.  I supported Miles up until sometime in the last 12 months.

The difference between you and me is that your fun in sports seems to be making quick judgements on a coach from the beginning that they are going to suck.  My fun in sports is to not make those quick judgements, find reasons to justify that it might work and go forward with a positive attitude till it's proven to me that it's time to make a change.

You said idiot, I said dork.  You seem to be hung up on that.

There was no "quick judgment" on Riley...there was 25 years of proof.   

You have probably hired people before, right?  Do you hire people with what is largely a very average to below average history of 25 years and then expect them to be amazing when you hire them?  

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

You said idiot, I said dork.  You seem to be hung up on that.

There was no "quick judgment" on Riley...there was 25 years of proof.   

You have probably hired people before, right?  Do you hire people with what is largely a very average to below average history of 25 years and then expect them to be amazing when you hire them?  

you sure dont! You look for lightning in a bottle. Those with high levels of success that cross off your list of intangibles as well. 

I remember before the season, Miles lamenting the fact that the team had very little depth. It's hard to say if it would have changed anything, but Miles had more depth on his bench than he though. Borchardt, Harris (mono notwithstanding) and Thor all probably could have/should have gotten more time in the early parts of the season, which would have left some of the tire treads on the starters.