B10 Scheduling: Crossover Games

I was just curious how we stacked up since joining the Big Ten in regards to crossover conference games. Results of the top 4 teams from each division are below (2011-2021). I think overall Wisconsin and Michigan have had the most even level of top games without a 'rival' crossover game if you will, also have the fewest tough crossover games. Other 3 teams seem to be on par with a crossover rival. I feel a lot better with Frost at the helm knowing we will be playing Ohio State a lot - Riley was outscored 118-17 in the two games against them. 

Nebraska/Ohio State

Northwestern/Michigan State

Iowa/Penn State

Nebraska (25)
Ohio State - 8 

Michigan - 5 
Penn State - 5 

Michigan St - 7 

Northwestern (25)
Ohio State - 3

Michigan - 7
Penn State - 6 

Michigan St - 9 

Iowa (21)
Ohio State - 3
Michigan - 5
Penn State - 8
Michigan St - 5

Wisconsin (20)
Ohio State - 5
Michigan - 6
Penn State - 5
Michigan St - 4

• Plus1 3

I wonder if Frost gets us more competitive we’ll see us scheduled less frequently as a crossover matchup against some of the East’s top teams. It would kind of make sense to give the favored West team less tough crossover games against the East’s favored teams to avoid a rematch in the CCG. Lately I’d say Wisconsin is a good bet to be the West champion.  We’ve been just another average West team on the schedule for OSU, Michigan, PSU. That kind of scheduling is a bit self fulfilling prophecy but to avoid a rematch it could make sense. 

34 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I wonder if Frost gets us more competitive we’ll see us scheduled less frequently as a crossover matchup against some of the East’s top teams. It would kind of make sense to give the favored West team less tough crossover games against the East’s favored teams to avoid a rematch in the CCG. Lately I’d say Wisconsin is a good bet to be the West champion.  We’ve been just another average West team on the schedule for OSU, Michigan, PSU. That kind of scheduling is a bit self fulfilling prophecy but to avoid a rematch it could make sense. 

If I recall, Delany's scheduling model was to get the top teams / blue-bloods to play each other more often, not less.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Does this list take away or keep the games where they played in say a B1G championship game?  If it doesn't Wisconsin is being shown to have the easiest schedule since we've been here.

These are just the regular season match ups. 

I think if you also show the 'home and away break down you'll find an even greater disparity (NU being on the short end by a fairly large margin) as well.   I figured we were being punished for being the new school and given the gauntlet treatment to the advantage of the 'blue bloods' (Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and even Penn State to a lesser extent).   I am of the opinion that over the next 7 years, the numbers better 'even' out where we get the benefit after having paid the price thus far.    I think the Big Ten insiders wanted Nebraska's power an d prestige and image building but the blue bloods didn't want to give up a home field advantage or anything.   I haven't broken it down but it seems that way to me. 

9 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Right now it seems like they are trying to develop a cross rivalry with Nebraska and Ohio State.  For all of the currently released B1G schedules, NU plays tOSU every year.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think if you also show the 'home and away break down you'll find an even greater disparity (NU being on the short end by a fairly large margin) as well.   I figured we were being punished for being the new school and given the gauntlet treatment to the advantage of the 'blue bloods' (Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and even Penn State to a lesser extent).   I am of the opinion that over the next 7 years, the numbers better 'even' out where we get the benefit after having paid the price thus far.    I think the Big Ten insiders wanted Nebraska's power an d prestige and image building but the blue bloods didn't want to give up a home field advantage or anything.   I haven't broken it down but it seems that way to me. 

It would have taken less time to look it up than it took to type that.

• Plus1 5
5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Good.  If we want to be the best, gotta beat the best.  

It does make it tough to win division titles when you have to consistently play one of the best teams in the nation while your chief competitor (whom is equally poor at winning against that opponent) does not. It's not apples to apples.

That said, that doesn't really come into play until you can beat your division opponents consistently. Wisconsin has had a marked edge on Nebraska in the schedule, but they've also been significantly better in division games.

To be the best in the division, Nebraska has to first start consistently beating the worst in the division.

• Plus1 1

When you have unequal scheduling, the winner of the division should be the team with the best division record. In case of a two way tie, the winner of the game.  In case of a three way (or more) tie, include common cross over opponents.  Still tied? Then use league record.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I’d be more than happy to trade schedules with them next year. 

You rather be in the East and have to play Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State as well as cross over with teams in the west? I doubt you want Maryland's schedule next year.

5 minutes ago, jaws said:

You rather be in the East and have to play Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State as well as cross over with teams in the west? I doubt you want Maryland's schedule next year.

In regards to conference schedule, we have the toughest for sure. 5/6 toughest games are on the road next year 

@ Michigan
@ Wisconsin

@ Northwestern

@ Ohio State 

Michigan State 

@ Iowa

Edited by BIG ERN