SI article: Nebraska's Receivers Are Scott Frost's First Offensive Building Block in Lincoln

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/05/08/nebraska-huskers-spring-practice-scott-frost

Three years ago, Scott Frost took over a wreck of a winless team at UCF. This year, he got the keys to a Nebraska program that had lost its way. In 2017, the Cornhuskers went 4–8 and dropped six of their last seven games, with those losses coming by an average of 26.2 points, but that doesn’t mean there was no talent in this program for Frost to work with. After spending a few days around the Huskers this spring, it seems like Frost’s first team should have a strong group of receivers.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

No point. I am happy that we have good receivers, but I wish the consensus was that we have great offensive and defensive lines.

I agree, but we wouldn't have hired a new coach if we'd had great offensive and defensive lines.

• Plus1 2

Just now, RedDenver said:

I agree, but we wouldn't have hired a new coach if we'd had great offensive and defensive lines.

Do you really think the last staff would have known what to do with great lines? We may have a great OL, but our last coach picked 5 starters and never gave anyone else a chance.

9 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Do you really think the last staff would have known what to do with great lines? We may have a great OL, but our last coach picked 5 starters and never gave anyone else a chance.

Part of having a great Oline or Dline is not doing what you're describing. So possibly, if they'd been capable of having great lines,  we wouldn't have needed new coaches.

Frost coached receives and so he knows this position really well. Heck, he just knows and understands offense too. I believe our receivers played really well last year but this year they will play even better. That coupled with depth and some burners and we have ourselves a dangerous group. Now, we just need lineman to give the QB time to get the ball in space. Which I believe Greg Austin will do because we have legit OL and receiver talent on this team.

9 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Does anyone know how Maurice Washington is doing academically? Will he qualify? I know he is a running back, but Frost seems to blur the line with RBs and receivers.

Last I read (on his profile) is he's going to arrive in July. I'm guessing he still has work to do.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Does anyone know how Maurice Washington is doing academically? Will he qualify? I know he is a running back, but Frost seems to blur the line with RBs and receivers.

The OWH had a pretty long feature about Washington a couple weeks ago.  They didn't have any comment about him qualifying.

I would say Washington is more of a true RB, and Miles Jones would fit more of the RB/WR hybrid, which Frost likes to call a "Duck back".

10 hours ago, brophog said:

Good lines don't score by themself. Need both. 

This is true, but great receivers may not do much with a bad OL (see last year), while mediocre receivers shine with a great line. I would much rather have the best OL in CFB than the best receiving corp. I am pretty sure any member of this board could have gained 1000 yards in the mid-90s.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This is true, but great receivers may not do much with a bad OL (see last year), while mediocre receivers shine with a great line. I would much rather have the best OL in CFB than the best receiving corp. I am pretty sure any member of this board could have gained 1000 yards in the mid-90s.

This is an RPO/box count offense now. The best blocks are the ones you don't have to make, and great receivers enable that in these style of offenses. We would all love a return to form on the offensive line, but we don't have that line, yet, and while I'm hopeful by season's end to at least get a decent 5, we are a long ways off. At least we have other pieces to help stem the tide until those days return.

• Plus1 3