Huskers Looking to Schedule Old Big 8 Opponents?

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I stay with friends and I am single and childless, which obviously makes it easier for me as an inverse factor of me not having any money to my name. 

How much worse would Iowa City be as a day trip compared to Ames, Lawrence, or Manhattan? Not sure why/what you mean about it being awful. 

So stop claiming it’s all the same when you don’t have kids or need to stay at a hotel.

And anecdotes don’t matter, but I have a feeling you’re in a minority when you say there’s no difference between 2 2.5-3 hour road trips in a day (after 4+ hours of football) and 2 4 hour road trips in a day (after 4+ hours of football). And that’s the shortest one in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 2

23 hours ago, knapplc said:

Important to note, though:

Kansas State - Manhattan, KS (yawn)

Kansas - Lawrence, KS (yawn)

Iowa State - Ames, IA (yawn)

Missouri - Columbia, MO (yawn)

Colorado - Boulder, CO (beautiful town/environs)

Oklahoma State - Stillwater, OK (yawn)

Oklahoma - Norman, OK (yawn)

Baylor - Waco, TX (YIKES)

Texas Tech - Lubbock, TX (yawn)

Texas A&M - College Station, TX (yawn)

Texas - Austin, TX (great town, neat destination)

Also important to note:

Kansas State - easy win, boring game

Kansas - easy win, boring game

Iowa State - easy win, boring game

Missouri - probable win, OK game

Colorado - easy win, boring game

Oklahoma State - probable win, OK game

Oklahoma - great game, wonderful environment

Baylor - probable win, OK game

Texas Tech - probable win, OK game

Texas A&M - great game, wonderful environment

Texas - great game, wonderful environment

I know people really like to wax nostalgic about the Big XII, but the most likely outcome was a round trip that ate up most of two days, a boring win, and a hugely boring town. You're staying in a Motel 8 or a Radison, there's no decent food, there's no decent entertainment, there's no decent shopping (or, at least, none of it was better than you'd get in Lincoln/Omaha where 80% of the fans were coming from). 

It seems you got the idea this is a topic for people who wish we were still in the Big 12. I didn’t see it that way at all. The benefits of the Big 10 far outweigh this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It seems you got the idea this is a topic for people who wish we were still in the Big 12. I didn’t see it that way at all. The benefits of the Big 10 far outweigh this stuff.

If it seems that way, I worded my response wrong.

I'm saying a couple of things - going to those games does not involve a destination any more desirable than any of our current conference opponents. Most are worse (we've had that discussion on HuskerBoard in the past).

Especially in an age of booming air travel, these times are almost all a wash.

I could expound on that by saying, unless you're talking a day trip to Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan or Columbia, you're spending a day driving to these destinations and a day driving home - the same as you'd do in our current conference. So that's also largely a wash. 

I think the travel time difference is an overrated aspect of the conversation.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If it seems that way, I worded my response wrong.

I'm saying a couple of things - going to those games does not involve a destination any more desirable than any of our current conference opponents. Most are worse (we've had that discussion on HuskerBoard in the past).

Especially in an age of booming air travel, these times are almost all a wash.

I could expound on that by saying, unless you're talking a day trip to Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan or Columbia, you're spending a day driving to these destinations and a day driving home - the same as you'd do in our current conference. So that's also largely a wash. 

I think the travel time difference is an overrated aspect of the conversation.

Some people must love driving a lot more than I do.  For me it gets exponentially more annoying the longer it is. 6 hours is more than twice as annoying as 3.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Some people must love driving a lot more than I do.  For me it gets exponentially more annoying the longer it is. 6 hours is more than twice as annoying as 3.

Especially how bad we have been the last 15 years. Double the drive makes the drive home even worse when your hungover and thinking about the 50-10 beating you drove to watch. 

Now when we get good under frost, the drive will be easier to swallow if we go up to Michigan and walk out with a W

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Especially how bad we have been the last 15 years. Double the drive makes the drive home even worse when your hungover and thinking about the 50-10 beating you drove to watch. 

Now when we get good under frost, the drive will be easier to swallow if we go up to Michigan and walk out with a W

All that to say that things like some conference schools being further away just don't really seem to matter much when your team is really good. Funny how that works :P

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...