Moos expects wins - across the board

This is a thread about NU sports in general and FB indirectly.  Sip takes note that Moos expects wins across all sports.  With NU's facilities, commitment, budget we should not be as low as we are in final the average finish in the conference.

As he notes in the article, fixing football will go along way in helping NU's final ranking. But it isn't just FB that needs to improve.  He praises Women's Volleyball which has been

doing the heavy lifting for NU sports of late.  As much as I like what John Cook has done with Volleyball - that speaks volumes about a football program that was the doorway to

the university for so many years.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-call-it-the-moos-shift-scoreboard-matters/article_53c99ce5-219e-54a1-933e-136fe9a72cec.amp.html

Bill Moos last week announced that Nebraska had parted ways with its men's tennis coach and men's golf coach.

The programs were mired in mediocrity.

So, were those partings a message to the rest of the athletic department?

“If it’s taken that way, that’s OK with me,” Moos said Tuesday.

I dialed up the first-year Nebraska athletic director to discuss the Journal Star’s annual compilation of Big Ten schools' average conference finish, across all sports. With only the track season left to be completed, Nebraska is ninth with an average of 6.76. The Huskers were ninth overall the previous two years after winding up 11th in 2014-15.

As one might expect, Moos ponders the slide — Nebraska was fifth in 2013-14 — with a furrowed brow.

“Considering what we have here in every single aspect, it’s fair to believe we should be in the top seven,” he said.

That almost seems a bit light. Nebraska should consistently be in the third-through-sixth range.

“We’ve got to get back to where we belong in football, and that’ll take care of a lot of it,” Moos said. “And then we’ve got to have some kind of stability in men’s basketball.”

After a pause, he added, “Women’s volleyball is carrying the load.”

• Plus1 2

Some neat quotes from Fred Pollack, former LT 94-97.  He believes Frost will do it right and NU power will be returning - maybe not next year

but in  a few years we'll see a whole new product on the field.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-scott-frost-zach-duval-complete-package

Done right, Husker Power is a slow burn. It’s aged brisket, smoked in hickory and finished in gas ovens, tenderness crafted over time.

“I’ve always had people ask me if Coach [Tom] Osborne’s talks were really fiery at halftime,” said Fred Pollack, the former Nebraska left tackle and one of Scott Frost’s wing men on the 1997 national champions. “And my response has always been, ‘It’s too late then.’

“You don’t win that game in a speech. You don’t win in the week of preparation. You win that game two or three years earlier with the work they’ve done. And I think Scott gets that.”

You’re not going to throw a plate of Mike Riley’s leftovers onto the turntable, set the timer for 90 seconds, walk away and expect magic at the beep. Nebraska football is not a microwave job. You simmer. You stir.

“You don’t turn that ship around in one year,” Pollack said. “I think you win that game over three years, in winter and summer conditioning when nobody’s watching. That’s when you win it.

“I think Scott gets that. [Strength coach Zach] Duval gets that. A lot of those coaches get that. You may not turn everything around in Year 2.

“Give us four years and you’re going to see a different product on the field. It’s tougher to give that inch up when you’ve fought so hard for it.”

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Some neat quotes from Fred Pollack, former LT 94-97.  He believes Frost will do it right and NU power will be returning - maybe not next year

but in  a few years we'll see a whole new product on the field.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-scott-frost-zach-duval-complete-package

Listening to the OWH's Pick 6 podcast this week, Sam McKewon was interested in how Frost constantly mentions Zach Duval in his press conferences, even over his OC & DC.  It makes me think that Duval is really Frost's right hand man, and the key guy to drive the long-term success for Nebraska.  Frost realizes that assistant coaches are going to come and go, but if Duval is successful at his job, and Duval can stick around at NU for the long-haul, that is going to build the success at NU.  I don't see Duval leaving for any other school, as he is a Nebraska-native, former NU player, and UNL grad.  He probably has his dream job as the S&C coach at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Listening to the OWH's Pick 6 podcast this week, Sam McKewon was interested in how Frost constantly mentions Zach Duval in his press conferences, even over his OC & DC.  It makes me think that Duval is really Frost's right hand man, and the key guy to drive the long-term success for Nebraska.  Frost realizes that assistant coaches are going to come and go, but if Duval is successful at his job, and Duval can stick around at NU for the long-haul, that is going to build the success at NU.  I don't see Duval leaving for any other school, as he is a Nebraska-native, former NU player, and UNL grad.  He probably has his dream job as the S&C coach at Nebraska.

Yes, he will continue to be well paid. Down the road I can see him wanting to tinker with some new or experimental equipment and I'm sure we will give him the resources to do so - and if we do - I see him here for the long haul as well. 

17 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Moos said. “And then we’ve got to have some kind of stability in men’s basketball.”

Sounds like Miles has just one more season to accomplish something. I get the impression he may have been on the bubble with the tennis and golf coaches.

there were some pretty legit rumors/rumblings that Moos had reached out with Dana Altman and had gained some ground which was why the Miles "extension" took so long. 

15 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

there were some pretty legit rumors/rumblings that Moos had reached out with Dana Altman and had gained some ground which was why the Miles "extension" took so long. 

Sounds like Miles leash is about as long as my small finger & if he doesn't perform next season, it will be as long a Moos' middle finger.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have a gut feeling and that is all it is - that getting his whole staff to move wt him from UCF, that Frost has made it known that he wants to keep this coaching staff together for a long time - following the Osborne model. He knows consistency is the key to success and that is why NU has failed so much in recent years - 4 head coaches in 15 years, who knows how may OC, DCs, and positions coaches.  Some players had 3-4 different position coaches and/or coordinators while in school - a formula for failure both on the field and in recruiting.   Yes, many of these coaches are talented enough & motivated enough to move up the coaching ranks but if we can pay them well we might be able to retain them and allow them to avoid the headaches of being a HC while enjoying the core of the job - coaching itself. 

Duval - priceless.  I think we got a real gem and long term we old timers know that the Husker teams of old were built on S&C.  We once had a dominate position wt S&C. (or to use a business term - A Sustained Competitive Advantage - Do a VRIO analysis and I think it applies!  a what!  Value, Rare, Imitable <as in not easily imitated>, and Organization - strength of the organization to capitalize on the VRI portion) because of our S&C - Ok I'll remove my teacher hat now)

Maybe Duval can get us back to that dominance once again.    And thank-you SUH for your contribution to that effort some years ago.

• Plus1 1