The Trump Economy

Wait a second - is it finally Infrastructure Week?!?!?

Honestly, though - this isn't a terrible idea (yes, I know I'm sorta paying Trump a compliment here, calm down). We're going to need to jump-start the economy, and doing it with works projects a la Eisenhower & the highways isn't a terrible plan. Get people out of work back to work, and get money pumping through the system again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Honestly, though - this isn't a terrible idea (yes, I know I'm sorta paying Trump a compliment here, calm down). We're going to need to jump-start the economy, and doing it with works projects a la Eisenhower & the highways isn't a terrible plan. Get people out of work back to work, and get money pumping through the system again.

I would love this.

Once this is over, lets actually make America great again and rebuild and improve.  That includes roadways, bridges, electrical grids, plumbing systems, etc.  Set an emphasis on trade schools and the jobs associated with them.  Promote trade jobs in the high schools.  This is the one thing since November of 2016 that I've been waiting for and would overlook many of Trump's flaws if he makes it happen.

But for now, as in 2015-oct 2016, I'll assume he is full of s#!t and nothing will happen....

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Let's make sure those shovel ready jobs are ready.  Seems like I heard that before.  Hey if the guy does something right, it is ok to give credit where it is due.

But yes, we need more than the current stimulus to get the economy going.  We will be in a deep hole wt up to 1/3 unemployment per the projections. 

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree as long as he's not talking about an imbecilic wall. Repairing/rebuilding bridges would open a lot of jobs as soon as people can go out.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, RedDenver said:

I like to think I'm not an a$$h@!e and I'm not saying the point is moot or anything like that, I know things are bad and going to get worse. And I also still feel sorry for her.

But... why did she do the below? I knew all my life growing up I was going to get pell grants and have student loans because I knew my mom couldn't pay for my college. I don't know why people think college is unobtainable or they have to save up tens of thousands of dollars for their kids. The goal should be to make sure your kids know if they're going to college they need a degree that will help them pay back the loans. (And I realize college is way too expensive but that's a different topic).

In August she gave her life savings, $46,000, to her daughter so she could attend her first year of college without loans and without the need to work full-time. Paula now has $1,100 to her name.
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, funhusker said:

I would love this.

Once this is over, lets actually make America great again and rebuild and improve.  That includes roadways, bridges, electrical grids, plumbing systems, etc.  Set an emphasis on trade schools and the jobs associated with them.  Promote trade jobs in the high schools.  This is the one thing since November of 2016 that I've been waiting for and would overlook many of Trump's flaws if he makes it happen.

But for now, as in 2015-oct 2016, I'll assume he is full of s#!t and nothing will happen....

It is a great idea!

I have posted so many times about how they need to push and promote trade jobs in the high schools...I wish they would/could partner with local unions.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

It is a great idea!

I have posted so many times about how they need to push and promote trade jobs in the high schools...I wish they would/could partner with local unions.

Careful.  You might be considered a bleeding heart liberal without  a business acumen....

20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Careful.  You might be considered a bleeding heart liberal without  a business acumen....

Ha!

For years I have been sayings that "shop" teachers should be partnering up with local unions.

Those local unions should offer a junior apprentice program with local HS's and students that are simply not looking for a traditional four year college.

The junior apprentice program is half-day or two days a week, during school time and the student gets credit AND paid...so whatever normal apprentice pay is they junior program gets 4-5 dollars less and hour and that gets kicked back to the union. 

With completion of the program the JA starts a full apprenticeship and full pay but on a shortened path.

If you are a HS kid making 16 - 18 dollars an hour DURING school time...you will see the light, less drugs, less dropping out, less f#&%ing up...graduate at 18, finish the shortened apprenticeship and be making 30 dollars an hour at 20 years old (all these dollar amounts are just guesses)

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I like to think I'm not an a$$h@!e and I'm not saying the point is moot or anything like that, I know things are bad and going to get worse. And I also still feel sorry for her.

But... why did she do the below? I knew all my life growing up I was going to get pell grants and have student loans because I knew my mom couldn't pay for my college. I don't know why people think college is unobtainable or they have to save up tens of thousands of dollars for their kids. The goal should be to make sure your kids know if they're going to college they need a degree that will help them pay back the loans. (And I realize college is way too expensive but that's a different topic).

In August she gave her life savings, $46,000, to her daughter so she could attend her first year of college without loans and without the need to work full-time. Paula now has $1,100 to her name.

Because like many, many parents she wanted her kid to go to college without loans?

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Because like many, many parents she wanted her kid to go to college without loans?

Lots of people want lots of things. That doesn't mean they should spend their life savings on them.

Way too many parents think they need to pay for their kids' college educations, and a lot of them are in better situations than she was.

51 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Lots of people want lots of things. That doesn't mean they should spend their life savings on them.

Way too many parents think they need to pay for their kids' college educations, and a lot of them are in better situations than she was.

She saved up the money for that purpose. Would it be better if she'd never saved that money and just had $1100 to her name?

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

She saved up the money for that purpose. Would it be better if she'd never saved that money and just had $1100 to her name?

No...it would have been better if she saved it up and then said "Why don't you still take out loans and I can help you pay back your loan, that way I don't have to give you 99% of my life savings right now BUT I can help you later, when you have graduated and landed your first real job and you can also help attack those loan payments.  Also, after you are done with school, come live at home for 1.5 years, during that time, use all the money you are making from your new job to really pay down those loans and I will do the same with my life savings.  That way, you can start off your life with a great career and be almost debt free!"

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No...it would have been better if she saved it up and then said "Why don't you still take out loans and I can help you pay back your loan, that way I don't have to give you 99% of my life savings right now BUT I can help you later, when you have graduated and landed your first real job and you can also help attack those loan payments.  Also, after you are done with school, come live at home for 1.5 years, during that time, use all the money you are making from your new job to really pay down those loans and I will do the same with my life savings.  That way, you can start off your life with a great career and be almost debt free!"

So she should live in fear of going broke instead of paying for her daughter's first year of college. That's not really any better.