The Trump Economy

Just now, HuskerNBigD said:

I don't know how many times I have to say this... I understand the markets are volatile right now, a result of Trump's pandering and tweeting. What I am arguing is on one hand, you cannot sit there and blame him for this, but then give him absolutely no credit for the tax bill that provided a boost to markets late last year, early this year. It is a two way street. 

You can blame him for one and not give him credit for the other when you knew exactly how it was going to play out

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The tax breaks Trump implemented were lauded because the companies that are traded knew exactly what was going to happen.  It was going to paint a picture of gains and profitability and make people excited.

They also knew it would be short lived and the chickens would come home to roost because they had zero plans to do anything with the tax break aside from one time paltry bonuses to the worker bees to give people the warm and fuzzies and most importantly, line their own pockets and buy back stock.

Mission accomplished.

Share buybacks are also beneficial to owners of stock which are, when considering we're talking about the major indices, most Americans as a result of their 401k. 

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

33% of Americans have a 401k. 

Fair enough. 

I revise my comment to state that it isn't just the company lining their pocketbooks with share buybacks. Investors, through retirement plans or brokerage accounts, also benefit from the share buyback program.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Oh yes! I guess it is about that time that we all start focusing on national debt, given that the opposing party is in office.

the opposing party?     you don't know me very well....do you.    of course...a traditional republican is considered the opposing party by the trumpers so yeah...whatever.   

i oppose the alt right takeover of the republican party and all the bulls#!t that came with it.

2 minutes ago, commando said:

the opposing party?     you don't know me very well....do you.    of course...a traditional republican is considered the opposing party by the trumpers so yeah...whatever.   

Sure don't

Funny enough, I consider myself a traditional republican too. 

1 minute ago, commando said:

wasn't the trade war suppose to reverse our trade deficit?   so now china isn't buying our beans and we are buying stuff from them at a record pace with tariffs added to the cost.   so much winning!  

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-trade-deficit-climbs-to-10-year-high-despite-tariffs-tough-trump-stance-2018-12-06

I think everyone, collectively, can state the trade war with China was/is a terrible idea.

41 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

This wasn't the point of my argument, but moderate steady and slowest growth on record can't describe the same thing.

This article is fairly close to my feelings.  I used the term moderate.  If you want to use slow....whatever.  I believe this has been good for the US.  As has been stated in this, the slow and steady growth, has made it possible to have a LONG growth period.  

When you have to come back from as low as things collapsed at the end of the bush administration, from policies both Clinton and Bush put in place, I'm fine with longevity of growth.  

Here's another article that talks about it.  

With growth averaging just over 2 percent, this expansion has avoided major excesses, helping it keep chugging along. Demand looks fairly solid and economists see a tax-driven rebound restoring momentum after a first-quarter slowdown.

I found this paragraph interesting.  It describes how wage growth happens.  We have seen a steady decrease in unemployment since 2009.  Once unemployment got really low, you see wage growth.  That's the natural way it should happen.  Not by artificially inflating it by force.

Jobs data due Friday are expected to confirm employment picked up in April after cooling in March. The 4.1 percent unemployment rate, already below what’s generally considered consistent with full employment, is projected to keep falling. Businesses frequently complain about a shortage of qualified workers, and the hope is that a tight job market may finally spur an acceleration in wage growth, whose tepidity has been a disappointing feature of the expansion.