A thought on opposing defensive injuries.

Hearing all the players today talking about how fast we are going to go on offense brings a question to mind:

How far will opposing teams go to slow us down? As far as faking injuries? 

Not trying to take players getting injured lightly. And I will never claim to know if a player is faking an injury or not. But, I have a feeling we are going to get tired/irritated seeing players laying on he field to let their team substitute only to return to the field the next time the defense rotates.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

I don’t think the up- tempo offense is as shocking as when Oregon originated it.  

There are teams in every conference that go up tempo , so it’s more common now to have to prepare for it, be conditioned to defend it and ready with the personnel substitutions.  

Not a big deal.

A few years back when we were at peak high tempo this was a really big concern. It still happens, but as was said above teams have learned how to manage without resorting to such tactics.

Also it is important to note that while Frost preaches high tempo, he really doesn't go that fast. What he wants is his guys to think fast and to be able to go fast when necessary, but he's not high tempo all of the time.

The most interesting matchup IMO is Frost vs. Chryst. Historically, Oregon would have an up tempo high powered offense go against Stanford and they'd get physically whipped on both sides. I'm hoping Frost has this figured out and the Husker Power workouts payoff especially for the defense. Wisconsin could become our Stanford. I don't think having the success UCF had last year injury wise was a fluke. Duval is that good.

10 minutes ago, TAKODA said:

Not sure how much we will see fake injuries, but I am sure we will see our share of time outs by opposing teams, who are caught with improper personnel packages. Should be interesting, especially early in the season.

I'll just be glad when it's not us using those early timeouts, especially on offense.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

I'll just be glad when it's not us using those early timeouts, especially on offense.

Freshman QB and plenty of green players on the field... I would expect some early time outs to have to be used.  That said, I get your point and I think down the road you will see very little of that from a Frost coached team.    

3 hours ago, FTW said:

The most interesting matchup IMO is Frost vs. Chryst. Historically, Oregon would have an up tempo high powered offense go against Stanford and they'd get physically whipped on both sides. I'm hoping Frost has this figured out and the Husker Power workouts payoff especially for the defense. Wisconsin could become our Stanford. I don't think having the success UCF had last year injury wise was a fluke. Duval is that good.

I looked at Oregon's starters during the Kelly/Helfrich years and most the time, their O-linemen were listed between 290-310. Right now, our 2 lightest starting O-linemen are listed at 300. The others are 325, 330, and 335. We definitely stack up better than Oregon did. They could only run around or you, we should also be able to go through you.

• Plus1 1