Husker Betting Props vs Akron

Just now, Hilltop said:

I think our running backs have a huge day.  I have a hard time seeing us throw the ball a ton.  Why give the next two opponents good film if you can run all over Akron?  I also am not sure we see AM run a lot...especially with concerns at QB depth.  

I personally don't buy into that...I know what you mean but I think that they will do what they do

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think our running backs have a huge day.  I have a hard time seeing us throw the ball a ton.  Why give the next two opponents good film if you can run all over Akron?  I also am not sure we see AM run a lot...especially with concerns at QB depth.  

This would be my concern about Martinez's stats for this game.  With everything going on - first true frosh QB, hasn't played in nearly two years, Gebbia drama, needing Martinez to get off to a confidence-building start, over-matched opponent, don't risk him too much in game one - I wonder if they won't go heavy on the running back running game here and kind of pick and choose their spots to turn Martinez loose.

I drafted him in a fantasy league and I really want to start him but it would be my luck he'd end up with something like 10-13 for 150 yards and a TD and about 30 rushing yards.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This would be my concern about Martinez's stats for this game.  With everything going on - first true frost QB, hasn't played in nearly two years, Gebbia drama, needing Martinez to get off to a confidence-building start, over-matched opponent, don't risk him too much in game one - I wonder if they won't go heavy on the running back running game here and kind of pick and choose their spots to turn Martinez loose.

I drafted him in a fantasy league and I really want to start him but it would be my luck he'd end up with something like 10-13 for 150 yards and a TD and about 30 rushing yards.

When I read a couple of these posts I read a Rutgers 2017 scenario where the same power run play is called 31 times. That's just not how this offense operates. One single play is not that strong, it's the incorporation of multiple concepts into a single play call that makes it strong*. Everything in this offense is based around the QB making decisions, and these game reps would be far too valuable to sacrifice just to grind out a result against such a team. Expect this offense to be full go, with maybe a few wrinkles held back.

I would hope Martinez isn't asked to run a lot simply because that means the offensive line is productive when he makes his reads. Like I said the other day, about 10 runs is a benchmark traditionally in this offense for all types of QB runs. 

*Maybe I should elaborate here. Shotgun oriented running plays have a significant weakness in that the mesh point and therefore initial flow of a running back are predetermined at snap. This makes it hard to add extra blockers to the point of attack. So, the response was instead of adding blockers to reduce defenders. This is where the RPOs, packaged plays, QB runs and the like come into play. When the QB executes it works extremely well, but it's hard to detach the QB from the offense.

I feel that you should think about the 4th quarter.  If up big, they aint passing as much vertically (with the starter).  Pitch passes, sure. 

I also think the Huskers will try to score 60 to 70 until they can't.  Lots of players and a big season opening statement. And if up big, they will sit AM because HE's all we have for the year (for a good season).