So how about that kicking game

lo country

During the spring game neither Pickering or Frahm shined or stood out.  Both missing FG's....Then last night, Pickering missed a 43 yard FG attempt.  As close as last nights game was and Martinez possibly out for a game or few, is anyone else concerned about our kicking game or lack there of?  I know it's only game one, but I (we) have all been spoiled by the phenomenal kickers that NU has fielded since I don't know when.  I honestly have a hard time remembering when we didn't have an almost guaranteed 3 point/kick guy on the roster.  

On another note Caleb Lightbourn (Lightborn, Lightbourne, Lightburn) did a great job punting and on KO's.  One thing I'd stress on special teams on the KO, use the new fair catch rule inside the 25.  If your on the 3 yard line, fair catch and get the yards.  But that's just me...Have a conversation and decide when to return and when to take the yards.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

IMO, the missed kick cost us the game. We could have kicked a 2nd FG to win it at the end. Of course there were many other things that cost us the game, including the icing TO against the CU kicker. He missed the kick, then made it after the TO.

Also as concerning is the number of penalties. It seemed there was a penalty on every kick return. That field position killed us.

10 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

IMO, the missed kick cost us the game. We could have kicked a 2nd FG to win it at the end.

If we had made that first field goal, CU would have kicked the extra point after their TD. In that scenario, a FG at the end of the game is for the tie instead of for the win. 

11 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

IMO, the missed kick cost us the game. We could have kicked a 2nd FG to win it at the end. Of course there were many other things that cost us the game, including the icing TO against the CU kicker. He missed the kick, then made it after the TO.

Also as concerning is the number of penalties. It seemed there was a penalty on every kick return. That field position killed us.

Too many hypotheticals for me to say that the kick cost us the game; moreso than clock management or Reed's penalty. 

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

If we had made that first field goal, CU would have kicked the extra point after their TD. In that scenario, a FG at the end of the game is for the tie instead of for the win. 

Then we humiliate them in OT. Of course the kick wasn't the sole cause for the loss, just one of many many chances we had to secure a win. Given that miss, and the miss in the spring game, I will be nervous about all FG attempts for a while.