Scott Frost Lightning

The truth on Scott Frost at UCF is some sort of lightning in a bottle. You can't go 13-0 in your 2nd year unless you have talent, you just can't. I'm not saying in any way shape or form that Frost isn't a good coach - I know for fact that he is....

But I remember watching UCF last year and was thinking wow it's sad how an AAC team is bigger, faster, and stronger than Nebraska who is in the B10. In regards to Milton, he is a direct product of Frost. 3 star with no major offers, not good size, and didn't look like a starting QB his freshman year. Tre'Quan Smith was a very good WR, Griffin was one of the best LB in the nation, Jasinski is a tackling machine, Hughes was a 1st round CB, and they were better upfront on both sides of the ball than we currently are. 

Again, Frost made many changes in two short years at UCF, and I don't want to discredit him at all. I was almost hoping that they would have went 10-2 so the expectations could relax in Lincoln and around the country when he arrived. It will take some time, but once he get the kids he needs to get, we will start to be a really really fun team to watch again. The comments he currently makes being 0-3, once we are 3-0, is going to rub people the wrong way and I can't wait. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

In regards to Milton, he is a direct product of Frost. 3 star with no major offers, not good size, and didn't look like a starting QB his freshman year.

Exactly.

Frost gives him an offer and he de-commits from playing in his home state of Hawaii to move to Florida. As just a true Sophomore you saw what Frost & Verduzco can do with a quarterback.

The flashes of brilliance from Martinez have already been seen. With an offensive line that has some more focus and intensity this offense is going to very likely be excellent next season. It could even be excellent by the end of this season.

15 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I believe Frost called plays at Oregon the 3 years he was offense coordinator there. 

Oregon finished in top 5 in scoring offense all 3 years that Frost was the offensive coordinator at Oregon. And prior to this year has had a top 5 offense 4 out of the last 5 years. The only year he didn't is he's first year at UCF. 

While Frost called plays at Oregon they finished as runner ups in the CFP. 

Not to mention that Oregon suffered immediately after Frost left. 

So, to boil down his success to just last year ignores the success he had before that. 

Winner. Frost has been successful everywhere he has coached. It just takes more than 3 games after years of suck.

• Plus1 1

McKenzie Milton average stats in 2017 - second year in Frost's system; playing mostly AAC competition

310 yards passing, 67.1% completions, 2.8 TDs, 0.7 INTs; 47 yards rushing, 0.6 TDs - 357 yards total offense, 3.4 TDs

Adrian Martinez stats in his first start against a Power 5 opponent (before getting injured)

187 yards passing, 75.0% completions, 1.0 TD, 1.0 INT; 117 yards rushing, 2 TDs - 304 yards total offense, 3 TDs

Must have caught lightning twice.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

McKenzie Milton average stats in 2017 - second year in Frost's system; playing mostly AAC competition

310 yards passing, 67.1% completions, 2.8 TDs, 0.7 INTs; 47 yards rushing, 0.6 TDs - 357 yards total offense, 3.4 TDs

Adrian Martinez stats in his first start against a Power 5 opponent (before getting injured)

187 yards passing, 75.0% completions, 1.0 TD, 1.0 INT; 117 yards rushing, 2 TDs - 304 yards total offense, 3 TDs

Must have caught lightning twice.

And he will do it again and again. Welcome to the golden era of Husker QB play.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:29 AM, cheekygeek said:

You might want to review how the Oregon QBs after Mariotta did under Frost, before he left for CFU. Also the coach on Kelly’s staff who recruited Mariotta was Mark Helfrich.

I was speaking of Oregon overall, but I would ask you take your own advice.  Adams is the QB you're talking about and he was a graduate transfer from Eastern Washington who had huge success there.  

On 9/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Saunders said:

Penalties have very little correlation to winning.

UCF's numbers were skewed from the amount of stats. Their defensice success rate was high, as were their havoc rates. That's what wins games.

The problem is that Nebraska this year is making dumb mistakes, not scoring, and not getting turnovers.

To the bolded part...I think you are incorrect.  Yes it can be difficult to quantify just how much of an effect penalties have on losing vs winning.  However, a holding call can stop a drive cold and force a punt.  A defensive penalty can give an opposing offense a touchdown.  For example, against Troy, Nebraska had them stopped on 3rd down, but a defensive penalty gave them a free 1st down.  They then went on to score their final TD on that drive and won the game.  Bottom line: Penalties going against you do more to help you lose than win.