Pass Rush?

Red_Payne

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

3rd video it looks like that dastardly "B" in Nebraska tripped up our safety keeping him from covering nobody and out of harms way.

The safety is just being where he's supposed to be. They outcoached us on this play, hard. They drew up a play to empty out the middle of the field. 

I don't know what the answer is.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

The safety is just being where he's supposed to be. They outcoached us on this play, hard. They drew up a play to empty out the middle of the field. 

I don't know what the answer is.

You are also seeing a trend of teams using schemes to empty out the middle of the field. Colorado did it an got critical 3rd downs, as did Troy(Also got a TD off of it), saw Purdue do it time and time again. It's a problem Chins is going to have to address, because I see too many teams do it this early in the season. Wisconsin will motion Taylor/Deal out only to give their receivers inside leverage for slants Hornibrook loves to throw. I fear if Young plays Ferguson will have an B1G player of the week type performance.

If this team is going to get off the field on 3rd downs, they need to get after the quarterback.  For sure we are missing this.  Blitz, send the house, etc.  But might want to have someone quick and fast up near the LOS when you send someone.  Our blitzers seem to be so far off the ball or outside the DE.  I'm no wizard at defense, but why send someone from such a far distance anyway?  By the time he approaches the QB the ball is gone.  Or he gets picked up to block.  :dunno

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Colorado probably has the worst OLine that we’ve faced. They had a freshman C playing and Mick just destroyed him over and over, it was really unfair. Having a (mostly) healthy Stoltenberg had a huge impact in that game. Their LT was bad too.

I also think it’s a bit of fatigue at this point in the front 7. You can see how Gifford leaves it all on the field each week, and it looked like he just had nothing left in the tank a few times today. Ferguson was out sick and that didn’t help.

Good call on mentioning Mick as he not being out there was a definite blow.  A really good NT in a 3-4 really, really helps things as you can force the OL to darn near double team the nose every play which hopefully puts your guys in spots where they can win 1:1 matchups.  I hope he's able to come back this week against Wisconsin.  NU will need him in a big way.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Ok, one more here. You guys, this is the kind of mindless play from Young that is just absolutely KILLING our team. It is so mind boggling:

voGNOM.gif

He HAS TO be aware of what's going on. He has to pick up that tight end. Watch what he does - he seriously gets sucked down towards A FREAKING LINEMAN. He seriously steps down into that space to try to defend...an offense lineman...who can't touch the ball...

Barry does a great job and sees a receiver swinging wide and picks him up. But Young should have stayed in his area to pick up an open man but instead does who the f*** even knows what...

If Young is better than anyone else that can take that ILB spot then I just don't even know what to say except to just drink heavily to pass the time and wait for the next two recruiting classes to hopefully be great on defense.

It looks to me like he's defending against the qb running right and the safety slipped preventing from getting there.....but that's a well drawn play that's tough to defend.....one miss and they score several different ways. Their qb has vision and executes pretty well too.

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

It looks to me like he's defending against the qb running right and the safety slipped preventing from getting there.....but that's a well drawn play that's tough to defend.....one miss and they score several different ways. Their qb has vision and executes pretty well too.

I really do agree.

Purdue has and will continue to scorch other teams this season through the air. Since there aren't really many other competitive teams in the B1G that play this offensive scheme I'm not too worried about it as far as how it impacts us. Bootle played really well and Jackson was much improved. 

I'm just going to say though that outside of Barry I've been disappointed with our linebacker play in games 2-4.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Undone said:

Here's their first play on offense. We saw them line up like this all day. It's not as much of a "Mack Brown at Texas Spread" formation but it's in the same ball park and you know what they're going to do on most plays and that is sit there and let Blough scan through reads:

gLmrjY.gif

One guys motions to the right side of the field and lines up in the slot. You know he's going downfield. Barry sees him and picks him up.

Then their running back goes out as a checkdown man. Well, Young has to pick him up and does. So it's three Husker down linemen plus Gifford as a standup lineman versus five Boilermaker linemen. 

Again, we saw this formation all day. During the game I was upset with Chinander for not blitzing a corner now and then but honestly I think I'm going to go back on that. You can't really do that with a QB that puts the ball on a dime and just pray your safeties help. I mean, you can do it a couple times per game but you can't do it all day or they'd have scored 50+. Translation - we don't have an actual pass rusher and we need one badly.

Our secondary was definitely better in this one and that is a serious comment. Our corners played much better. Our offense should have put up 45 points yesterday...but that's for another thread.

part of the problem is 21 cant guard his shadow.  If he doesn't need constant help from the safety then you can blitz Mo B and have the safety take the TE.    You can still have your 2 high safety look but have more pressure on the QB.  If we dont have guys who can guard man to man for more than 3 sec there's not much you can do.  We already know we don't have the horses up front to get to the QB on a consistent basis with only 4 rushing