it's all about recruiting

13 hours ago, BoSolich said:

13 teams from the '18 Rivals top 15 recruiting classes are ranked in the latest top 25 poll.  

not much else to say. if you want to be good you have to recruit the best.

worth noting our last top 15 class according to rivals was in 2011.

the 2019 class currently stands at 19th. it's going to be hard to improve that unless we start winning some games. Only 1 recruit has been added since the start of the season.

But here's the thing though - For the past five seasons we've been somewhere around 22nd - 32nd.

But we are definitely not the 22nd - 32nd best team in the country. We're an 0-4 dumpster fire.

Part of the lack of correlation there between our recruiting averages and our current team's position in the national conversation may stem from the fact that it seems that Riley's recruiting was offense-heavy. But Bo's last season and Riley's two classes were pretty weak defensively. No offense to our guys but you see that plainly out on the field. Bootle, Barry, and Williams are really the only above average and athletic guys on the starting 11.

• Plus1 2

Player development isn’t just a BAM we have new good coaches, we’re going to win all the games now process. I like to think having another 10 months with Frost before next season will help some of these players, including the ones making a lot of mistakes.

That being said I also trust him more on evaluating recruits than the previous coaches. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

What evidence is there of this?  Not saying you can't have trust in him.  Just wondering what you have seen that leads to this belief right now.

It’s blind trust. Not from anything I’ve seen on the field this season. The one valid thing it’s based on is all of his recruits here are in their first season of Div. I football so I’m gonna give him more than 10 months worth of coaching his guys before I judge too harshly.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

It’s blind trust. Not from anything I’ve seen on the field this season. The one valid thing it’s based on is all of his recruits here are in their first season of Div. I football so I’m gonna give him more than 10 months worth of coaching his guys before I judge too harshly.

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What evidence is there of this?  Not saying you can't have trust in him.  Just wondering what you have seen that leads to this belief right now.

While I see the point that you're making, the first answer off the top of my head is that he knows the Osborne system of player development. He went through that system himself. He knows that Nebraska will get some high four stars but is also going to get a bunch of three stars and that those three stars need a lot of development.

He has stated his comprehensive road map for this and it involves attention to detail in every facet of the athlete's life. 

Will it actually work and/or get carried out? We're about to find out. But there's strong evidence that he does in fact have a plan in his mind that objectively defines how to develop a player.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

While I see the point that you're making, the first answer off the top of my head is that he knows the Osborne system of player development. He went through that system himself. He knows that Nebraska will get some high four stars but is also going to get a bunch of three stars and that those three stars need a lot of development.

He has stated his comprehensive road map for this and it involves attention to detail in every facet of the athlete's life. 

Will it actually work and/or get carried out? We're about to find out. But there's strong evidence that he does in fact have a plan in his mind that objectively defines how to development a player.

Good points.  But this was about him evaluating a recruit better than Riley could.

14 hours ago, BoSolich said:

13 teams from the '18 Rivals top 15 recruiting classes are ranked in the latest top 25 poll.  

not much else to say. if you want to be good you have to recruit the best.

worth noting our last top 15 class according to rivals was in 2011.

the 2019 class currently stands at 19th. it's going to be hard to improve that unless we start winning some games. Only 1 recruit has been added since the start of the season.

Two: #1 JUCO RB and #6 TE (according to 247)

• Plus1 1