The Chronicles of Redshirting (4 Games)

On 10/12/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mavric said:

Not Redshirting

Martinez - Washington - Tannor - Taylor - Pickering

On the Fence

Hunt

Thomas?

Wait Until Next Year(ish)

Jones - McGriff - Jurgens - LeGrone - Farniok - Wildeman - Rogers - Alston - Clark - Smith - Jones

Bradley - Honas - Dixon

Great work on the list. I love the options we have with Honas & Dixon in particular. 

I personally think (read: hope) Jurgens is moved to center and is played in more than four games next year. But obviously, a lot's up in the air with all of that.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Great work on the list. I love the options we have with Honas & Dixon in particular. 

I personally think (read: hope) Jurgens is moved to center and is played in more than four games next year. But obviously, a lot's up in the air with all of that.

Jurgens is already redshirting this year, so next year he will be a RS FR. He can play in 0 games or 14 and will still be a RS SO the following year.

Interesting thought...Could've we technically redshirted Pickering?

How many games have we actually needed him to kick in?

We didn't need him in the Michigan or Bethune-Cookman game... Were there any other games where he had 0 or negative impacts? He doesn't do kickoff, so that would'nt have burned it.

(I'M NOT ADVOCATING THAT WE SHOULD HAVE RS HIM, JUST CURIOUS SINCE IT'S HINDSIGHT AND WE ARE 2-6.)

(Also, I'm not saying he is terrible.)

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Jurgens is already redshirting this year, so next year he will be a RS FR. He can play in 0 games or 14 and will still be a RS SO the following year.

Yeah I thought he had an injury during practice this year that could maybe be petitioned as a medical. I'm probably totally wrong about that though.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah I thought he had an injury during practice this year that could maybe be petitioned as a medical. I'm probably totally wrong about that though.

The term Medical Redshirt gets used too often, and would often get mixed up with a Medical Hardship (where a player would get an extra year of eligbility.

I don't even know if a Medical Redshirt will apply anymore with the 4-game Redshirt rule now available.  

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

medical waivers or redshirts or whatever the hell they are called, usually occur after they have used up their eligibility. and they usually involve losing a year after they have used their normal redshirt year.

1 minute ago, desertshox said:

medical waivers or redshirts or whatever the hell they are called, usually occur after they have used up their eligibility. and they usually involve losing a year after they have used their normal redshirt year.

This is an example of confusing the two terms.

Medical hardship - being granted an extra year of eligibility due to a major injury, after that player has already used his redshirt season.  Typically applied for and granted when the player is about to run out of eligibility.

Medical redshirt - being able to use a redshirt season after suffering a major injury after having played in that season, but less than 25% of the games.  This would be used if the player hasn't redshirted yet.  Again, the now 4-game redshirt rule would supercede this rule.