WHAT WERE THEY THINKING: Dumb Things Dumb People Do

Fun Dumb and Dumber Poll  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since political discussion can get a bit intense here, I thought I'd start a thread about dump things people do. Some times you read stories and it makes you scratch your head and all one can say is

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!" :dunno  (Kind of like voting for Trump in the primaries - but I digress)

Here is my offering for today.  3 Florida teen gals arrested after 'air drying' besides other charges of resisting arrest, etc, etc.  :facepalm:

Perhaps they were history buffs and understood the value of 'air drying' like Ben Franklin did.  Maybe it was a history class assignment.:dunno

https://knowledgenuts.com/2014/01/07/benjamin-franklin-liked-to-take-air-baths/

Benjamin Franklin is well known for being an inventor, and his interests included just about anything you could imagine. One of those interests was medicine, and his theories caused him to believe that nudity was good for you. For this reason, he would take regular “air baths” for his health.

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/no-clothes-trio-290765

APRIL 11--Three naked women fresh from the shower at a Florida rest area told cops they were “air drying” in public when spotted by a witness who called 911,

precipitating high-speed chases flatriox2.jpgthat resulted in the trio’s arrest on multiple felony charges.

The witness, cops say, reported that the women were at an Interstate 75 rest stop Wednesday morning, and that “all three of them” were “standing in the nude putting on suntan lotion.”

When a Florida Highway Patrol trooper arrived at the rest stop, the naked women explained that they had simply been “air drying” in the nude after showering. Before the cop could complete her investigation, however, the trio jumped into their Nissan Sentra and drove off on the highway.

• 1 month later...

Man Denies Owning Cocaine On His Nose

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/coke-nose-case-420963

--A Florida Man who had cocaine on his nose when the vehicle he was traveling in was stopped this weekend by police told arresting officers fabriciojimenez19.jpgthat the drug was not his, investigators say.

Fabricio Jimenez, 20, was a passenger in a car that was pulled over Sunday during a 3:45 AM traffic stop in Tampa.

When a Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputy approached the auto, the female cop “immediately noticed Jimenez had a white powdery substance on his nose she recognized to be powder cocaine,” according to investigators.

Jimenez’s nose was subsequently swabbed by police and a field test returned a positive result for the presence of cocaine in the sample. As seen above, deputies photographed Jimenez and his dusty nose during the traffic stop.

A search of Jimenez's shoes yielded a small bag of cocaine, while police also seized a backpack containing 250 grams of marijuana and 13 Xanax pills (seen below).  

Jimenez, arrested on three felony narcotics possession charges, “attempted to tell the deputies the cocaine on his nose was not his,” according to the sheriff’s office.

It does not appear Jimenez offered an explanation as to how someone else’s cocaine got into his nose.

Jimenez is also facing probation violation charges in connection with his conviction last year on cocaine and marijuana charges. After pleading guilty to three felonies, Jimenez was sentenced in November to two years probation and ordered to perform 50 hours of community service.   

Jimenez was arrested last August following a traffic stop in Tampa. Cops found 11 bags of pot and 4 bags of cocaine in a backpack inside the 2009 Honda Accord (Jimenez was alone in the car). Jimenez, cops reported, “admitted the marijuana and cocaine belonged to him, and he sells the marijuana for additional money.”

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, commando said:

are these 2 the sharpest knives in the drawer that trump can find to support him?

Do you mean Pelosi? One of the reply tweets says the twitter account is a parody account. I do not like that Pelosi says "we weren't saying he is racist." If they didn't say he's racist, they should, because he's racist.

28 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Do you mean Pelosi? One of the reply tweets says the twitter account is a parody account. I do not like that Pelosi says "we weren't saying he is racist." If they didn't say he's racist, they should, because he's racist.

Diamond and Silk are unfortunately not a parody.

• Plus1 1

This nation, and most likely the world, are chock full of stupid people.   I don’t claim to be super intelligent, but how some people understand a situation and explain it absolutely amazes me.

What is more amazing is that some folks PRETEND to be dumb to actually make money!   America actually has a market for “stupidity”. How crazy is that?

15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This nation, and most likely the world, are chock full of stupid people.   I don’t claim to be super intelligent, but how some people understand a situation and explain it absolutely amazes me.

What is more amazing is that some folks PRETEND to be dumb to actually make money!   America actually has a market for “stupidity”. How crazy is that?

I was thinking to myself earlier, after someone replied to a friend's Facebook post asking if Omar "is the one who married her brother", it's really sad that so many stupid people are self unaware. The people I know who are most likely to find flaws with themselves are the smarter ones. And the fact it's the stupid people like this means they don't know when to shut their mouths.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I was thinking to myself earlier, after someone replied to a friend's Facebook post asking if Omar "is the one who married her brother", it's really sad that so many stupid people are self unaware. The people I know who are most likely to find flaws with themselves are the smarter ones. And the fact it's the stupid people like this means they don't know when to shut their mouths.

There is actually a psychological term for what you are saying, don't remember off the top of my head.  But....

A coworker and I were having a conversation a while back about evolution and how it could effect humans.  I believe in biological brains and how the DNA of parents create the makeup of the brains of the children.  Our brains are freaking amazing, but they are still at the mercy of our genes.  It is pretty apparent that more educated people (most likely capable of higher learning) tend to marry similar folks.  And the opposite is also true.  Are we witnessing a divergence in the human brain physiologically?

Psychologists have noted the differences in how conservatives and liberals view the world and what they deem important to the "group".  Are we as humans expediting the process of evolution through polarization? Just reference the posts about people not being able to grasp being with a person that doesn't fit their political ideology.  It seems like a crazy idea, but significant changes can happen quick.  Most dog breeds were "created" in the last couple hundred years, the first "labeled" yellow lab was only 125 years ago.  

An interesting and scary thought....

Edit:  I should probably clarify that I don't mean to imply that one political party is a superior breed.  With evolution, "superior" can only be determined when one thrives better than the other and survives.  We are hopefully a long way away from that!

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There is actually a psychological term for what you are saying, don't remember off the top of my head.  But....

A coworker and I were having a conversation a while back about evolution and how it could effect humans.  I believe in biological brains and how the DNA of parents create the makeup of the brains of the children.  Our brains are freaking amazing, but they are still at the mercy of our genes.  It is pretty apparent that more educated people (most likely capable of higher learning) tend to marry similar folks.  And the opposite is also true.  Are we witnessing a divergence in the human brain physiologically?

Psychologists have noted the differences in how conservatives and liberals view the world and what they deem important to the "group".  Are we as humans expediting the process of evolution through polarization? Just reference the posts about people not being able to grasp being with a person that doesn't fit their political ideology.  It seems like a crazy idea, but significant changes can happen quick.  Most dog breeds were labeled in the last couple hundred years, the first "labeled" yellow lab was only 125 years ago.  

An interesting and scary thought....

Ya it's interesting...

I minored in Education and there's always one thing I remember from my classes when I talk to someone who can't form an argument and just spouts talking points they've heard, and that is Piaget's theory of cognitive development. He has four stages of child development, and the last one is the formal operational stage.

Piaget stated that "hypothetico-deductive reasoning" becomes important during the formal operational stage. This type of thinking involves hypothetical "what-if" situations that are not always rooted in reality, i.e. counterfactual thinking. It is often required in science and mathematics.

• Abstract thought emerges during the formal operational stage. Children tend to think very concretely and specifically in earlier stages, and begin to consider possible outcomes and consequences of actions.
  • Metacognition, the capacity for "thinking about thinking" that allows adolescents and adults to reason about their thought processes and monitor them.[46]
  • Problem-solving is demonstrated when children use trial-and-error to solve problems. The ability to systematically solve a problem in a logical and methodical way emerges.

While children in primary school years mostly used inductive reasoning, drawing general conclusions from personal experiences and specific facts, adolescents become capable of deductive reasoning, in which they draw specific conclusions from abstract concepts using logic. This capability results from their capacity to think hypothetically.[47]

"However, research has shown that not all persons in all cultures reach formal operations, and most people do not use formal operations in all aspects of their lives".

and I always remember the bolded, which is that not all humans reach the last stage in their lifetimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaget's_theory_of_cognitive_development#Formal_operational_stage

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Psychologists have noted the differences in how conservatives and liberals view the world and what they deem important to the "group".

And psychologists have also noted the inverse - that is, how one's personality can statistically inform as to whether they are more likely to be conservative or liberal. Which, when you really zoom all the way out, makes it extra stupid how we are so bent on categorizing and dogmatically ridiculing others for picking between one of two choices of political party in this country.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

And psychologists have also noted the inverse - that is, how one's personality can statistically inform as to whether they are more likely to be conservative or liberal. Which, when you really zoom all the way out, makes it extra stupid how we are so bent on categorizing and dogmatically ridiculing others for picking between one of two choices of political party in this country.

We can discuss "chicken and the egg" all we want.  But bottom line: there is a psychological connection to political affiliation.  And the rest of your statement echos my post, this is all trivial compared to the grand scheme of human evolution.

24 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well, I’m okay with ridiculing people who pick either party :p. Although ridiculing is too strong a word, and picking a party is *okay*, but getting behind every single thing 1 of 2 parties does is absolutely nuts because it’s just impossible that 350 million people’s views can fit into 2 categories. 

So if someone finds themselves agreeing with or defending their party 100% of the time, there’s an extemely high chance they have sucummed to groupthink/are a sheep. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Undone said:

The more I've thought about it, this isn't the "inverse".  It is actually what I was saying.  A persons biological brain will determine what affiliation they follow.  But, according to studies, two "liberal" brains are unlikely to make a "conservative" brain....