*** Official 2019 Season Countdown Thread ***

13 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Clinic?? Looks like he rounded it off and doesn't look like the jump is necessary 

You keep your speed better rounding off, that's how a lot of them are run now. I don't know what Walters teaches specifically, but especially if you're selling a fake post it's not going to be a super sharp out cut. I agree on the jump though, he almost didn't get the foot in because of it.

There are more sprinkled throughout that game (and other games I'm sure), some are more rounded than others. I'd guess that's what they're being taught to do, but there are actual coaches on the board who would know more about that.

We switched to rounded outs when I was in high school though, it's really hard to do a 90 degree cut and maintain any kind of speed out of the cut. You don't want to curve too far upfield, we tried to keep it around a yard. So if it was an 5 yard out from the twenty, we wanted to stick pretty close to the 26 on the turn and get back to the 25 within a few steps. You just can't go from straight upfield to straight across the yard line without coming to almost a complete stop. This may have been to help compensate for our general lack of athleticism though, it's possible college/pro receivers should be doing sharp cuts.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You keep your speed better rounding off, that's how a lot of them are run now. I don't know what Walters teaches specifically, but especially if you're selling a fake post it's not going to be a super sharp out cut. I agree on the jump though, he almost didn't get the foot in because of it.

There are more sprinkled throughout that game (and other games I'm sure), some are more rounded than others. I'd guess that's what they're being taught to do, but there are actual coaches on the board who would know more about that.

We switched to rounded outs when I was in high school though, it's really hard to do a 90 degree cut and maintain any kind of speed out of the cut. You don't want to curve too far upfield, we tried to keep it around a yard. So if it was an 5 yard out from the twenty, we wanted to stick pretty close to the 26 on the turn and get back to the 25 within a few steps. You just can't go from straight upfield to straight across the yard line without coming to almost a complete stop. This may have been to help compensate for our general lack of athleticism though, it's possible college/pro receivers should be doing sharp cuts.

As somone who was a DB you would be doing me a favor by rounding it off.  As a Wr coach I would teach the hard step inside to fake the post and hopefully get the DB to open his hips and then a hard cut out or slightly back up field to get seperation.  If that's the way they are coaching it then I guess he was running a clinic (beside the jump.  I've watched it a few times and its completely unnecessary)

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

As somone who was a DB you would be doing me a favor by rounding it off.  As a Wr coach I would teach the hard step inside to fake the post and hopefully get the DB to open his hips and then a hard cut out or slightly back up field to get seperation.  If that's the way they are coaching it then I guess he was running a clinic (beside the jump.  I've watched it a few times and its completely unnecessary)

Either way he faked the sh** out of his defender, which is the goal. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Either way he faked the sh** out of his defender, which is the goal. 

No he really didn't fake the "sh**" out of him.  He was in a bail technique with inside leverage.  He did what he was probably coached to do and did a head turn but he rounded it off as well.  Not great technique on the break.... didnt get faked out.  

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

No he really didn't fake the "sh**" out of him.  He was in a bail technique with inside leverage.  He did what he was probably coached to do and did a head turn but he rounded it off as well.  Not great technique on the break.... didnt get faked out.  

Ya, he was 5 yards off him 'cause he knew exactly where he was gonna be.

It's obvious he wasn't expecting that route, and Williams was wide open because of it.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

It looks like he does a slight fake to the inside around the 20 and the DB does react.  Maybe not a hard step but it looks like he leans right before doing his rounded turn.  I think that far downfield, going full speed the cut will naturally be rounded off.