Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

You guys were good f#&%ing kids!

Or did you just do other bad s#!t instead of mess with the guns!  Haha

Oh, we got into our share of trouble for sure.  We just knew the actual guns were dangerous if not handled properly.  Just like the farm equipment, etc.  You just didn't mess with stuff you weren't trained to.  

5 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Do four year olds even know what death or dying is? So telling them something is dangerous and can kill doesnt really make sense to me. 

That's the benefit of them growing up in the country and having barn cats around.  In the grand scheme of things, they're disposable.  They get ran over, eaten by coyotes/hawks, caught in mowers, caught in your pickup fan blades...bla bla bla.  The kids get attached to a cute litter of kittens, play with them, then 6 months later 3 of the 5 are already dead. 

They learn the circle of life pretty quick.  

The fact the kittens gave them ring worm three times weakens the pain.  

So, telling them the gun will do the same to them as what the fan blade did to your kitten....well....they get the picture.

• Haha 1

We grew up in the Lincoln suburbs, but it was still Nebraska, so my dad just left his .22 Ruger in the original box and put it on the shelf in the hall closet we opened every day. In the basement there were two 12-gauge shotguns in canvas bags, leaning against the wall of the workshop. I remember thinking these guns were pretty cool, but never felt tempted to play with them — not like the toy guns we had everywhere. 

Don't recall what I thought about guns and death, but cartoons didn't help our view of reality: 

daffy.jpg.b07bc99fc1806617320a76489552902b.jpg

We were probably 11 and 13 when my brother and I were prowling around with a BB gun and successfully shot a bird dead in its perch. A song bird. Which made us feel pretty bad. My dad shrugged. Lesson learned. 

• Plus1 1