Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ

45 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Moiraine,

she’s an idiot.  And those are reasons 1 and 1a of why teachers should not carry guns.  

Four weeks of An 8 hour class on a Saturday does not make an experienced gun handler.  

It would be awesome if the NRA would realize that although our school system employs a lot of intelligent people who love kids and can pass on a wealth of knowledge, it also employs a lot of stupid people.  Sometimes it employs 70-year old men that forget to report an email about 1st graders holding each other at gun point, for cryin’ out loud!

To add to that, teachers shouldn't have to have this much responsibility. They already have enough. Now we're gonna put them in a position where people might blame them if they had a gun and didn't manage to stop a killer? Or where they have to make a quick decision and might make a mistake that kills someone, even if they aren't stupid. It's too much to ask of them.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

To add to that, teachers shouldn't have to have this much responsibility. They already have enough. Now we're gonna put them in a position where people might blame them if they had a gun and didn't manage to stop a killer? Or where they have to make a quick decision and might make a mistake that kills someone, even if they aren't stupid. It's too much to ask of them.

Not to mention the tension created between staff for a possible situation that will “statistically” never happen.

IMHO: I would not respect the input of a fellow staff member that thought it was a good idea to bring/keep a gun at school.  Look, physically disciplining kids “could” prevent future missing assignments.  But best practices has determined that as archaic and unacceptable. A teacher would be fired for this.  A gun could potentially stop a shooter. But best practices had determined that keeping guns away from the area of kids reduced shootings.  Anyone who says different might as well be arguing for child abuse.  It is stupid.

if your school is in BFE, hire a resource officer.  It will be a wiser investment, promote positive LFO relationships, and allow professional relationships between staff., 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m just glad my kids are all out of school. 

I pray this is figured out before my grand kids are in it. 

20 minute lockdown drill in west Omaha yesterday.  Stole half of my 6th hour.  Kids didn’t bat an eye, were perfectly quiet.

This is our new “Cold War” drill.  Except instead of hiding from foreign invaders, we  are protecting ourselves from the incompetence of our own culture.  

It really, really sucks!

• Plus1 4

Not to mention the 2 hours of online training I still have to complete on my own time to help possibly distressed students find the support networks they need.

We do it every year because it’s worth it.  But I would rather spend 4 hours developing a weeks worth of lessons...or golfing...

2 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

This a million times over, I have 2 grandkids in school now and it wouldn't bother me a bit if my kids decided to home school them.

If there are guns in the home, they are more likely to die from gun shot there than from a school shooting.

But that isn't very comforting either...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

If there are guns in the home, they are more likely to die from gun shot there than from a school shooting.

But that isn't very comforting either...

No its not, I've hunted since I was a kid ,always did it the right way and was taught correctly, my oldest grandkids are 7 and 5 ,the age of curiosity and its starting to bother me knowing I keep weapons in my house.  Even though I spent alot of money on a safe seeing s#!t like this article makes me want to get rid of them and hunting is a huge part of who I am. 

1 minute ago, man eating mastodon said:

No its not, I've hunted since I was a kid ,always did it the right way and was taught correctly, my oldest grandkids are 7 and 5 ,the age of curiosity and its starting to bother me knowing I keep weapons in my house.  Even though I spent alot of money on a safe seeing s#!t like this article makes me want to get rid of them and hunting is a huge part of who I am. 

So true, I mean parents tell their kids all the right things but in the end...we know how it goes.

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't vape, don't cheat, don't steal, don't be mean to girls, don't be mean to boys, don't speed, don't text and drive, don't play with the gun, don't look for my stash of playboys, and blah blah blah...but guess what...well I think you can guess.

Shoot when I was a kid my dad would put certain things in the cabinet above the fridge, why up high...the second they left to go somewhere I was trying to get into the cabinet.

40 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Yes it is.

edit: I may have misinterpreted your post.  I assumed you meant it isn't as likely that children die in home shootings vs. school.  But after rereading, you might be agreeing that it isn't comforting that kids are home schooled with guns in the home.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Yes it is.

edit: I may have misinterpreted your post.  I assumed you meant it isn't as likely that children die in home shootings vs. school.  But after rereading, you might be agreeing that it isn't comforting that kids are home schooled with guns in the home.

I thought the same thing at first!

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Yes it is.

I'm in total agreement with you, as in not very comforting,  sorry for the confusion